Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

William Optics Zenithstar 61 rings upgrade: worth it or not?

Hi all, 

I recently purchased a second hand WO Zenithstar 61, first version, that with the L-bracket. The idea is to use it as wide field lens for astrophotography, paired with a zwo asi1600 and a star adventurer mount. 

I then came across the post-market upgrade kit sold by WO to replace the L bracket with a Mounting Ring and CAT Handle Bar. Has anyone done the upgrade and can offer some feedback? Is it worth in terms of extra stability for astrophotography or it's just looking nicer?

I'd appreciate any  feedback based on direct experience.

Many thanks,

Michele

Doesn't make much difference stability wise for the scope, it does help with Ra and dec balancing mounting a large guidescope on top. I changed to it because I needed the mounting points having already installed two finder brackets at the top rear of the focuser. It also acts as a handle so ever so slightly easier to carry the scope via it. The cat theme does need to stop though, give me the option of a plain handle. I also don't like how they release all the coloured options like as a first batch run, then you can't buy them ever again so you're left to mix and match different colours with your scope but this point is a minor thing.

Edited by Elp
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

So, if I understand correctly, it's not a game-changer. I had read that some dude had fixed their flexure issues with the upgrade kit, but you're saying that's likely not to make much difference. Better so, I'll save £70 !

thanks again

michele

A larger rail for location purposes sure makes sense, but your guidescope will also need to be mounted onto a longer rail too to reap the benefit (I happen to also have the uniguide rings for the GS). I've never seemed to have an issue even when using the smaller two finder saddles, but my GSs are mounted into solid clamping rings, not those fiddly triple screw type ones.

• Thanks 1