NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Done and dusted

Carl Au

My astronomy gear is complete. There is literally nothing else I need or want, no up-grades no nothing, not even a filter. I always had my eye on the next bit of kit, the next up-grade, but not anymore, I am just going spend my time looking at the night sky instead of websites and forums. I have been very lucky buying my kit, I think I bought well and got the balance right, not cheap this game. 

Clear skies to you all!

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

Respect to you Carl Au

I'm nearly at that point too.

I used to tell myself i need a bigger aperture scope to go with my refractor, but the reality is i don't really need it at all. Not with my local conditions.

And i bet i'd hardly use it and sell it on in a year or two.

Oh I have previous….

I have said it before with other hobbies too, fly fishing comes to mind. Yonks ago I bought a very nice Hardy rod and reel, nice accessories. I had everything I needed and thought enough was enough. 22 years later I still have and use exactly the same gear, apart from a few flies and the odd change of line that is. My astronomy gear is absolutely no different. 

I try to buy once when I can

Much, much better for the planet too…

Edited by Carl Au
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Carl Au said:

Oh I have previous….

I have said it before with other hobbies too, fly fishing comes to mind. Yonks ago I bought a very nice Hardy rod and reel, nice accessories. I had everything I needed and thought enough was enough. 22 years later I still have and use exactly the same gear, apart from a few flies and the odd change of line that is. My astronomy gear is absolutely no different. 

I try to buy once when I can

Much, much better for the planet too…

You cannot argue with that philosophy !.....:smiley:

11 hours ago, Space Hopper said:

Respect to you Carl Au

I used to tell myself i need a bigger aperture scope to go with my refractor, but the reality is i don't really need it at all. Not with my local conditions.

You may not need it Rob....but you want it !.....:grin:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Space Hopper said:

Respect to you Carl Au

You have obviously never looked at M51 through a light bucket (12" plus) at a true dark site.  Have car, will travel old chap.

My T350 only gets used 6-8 times a year, but that's 6-8 times a year I go wow and get to see things some people with refractors will never see. 😁

Although TBF I have a SW 100ED refractor which I don't really need, but I wouldn't get rid of it 😉

(buy a big dob)

• Like 2

On 05/11/2022 at 22:11, bomberbaz said:

You have obviously never looked at M51 through a light bucket (12" plus) at a true dark site.  Have car, will travel old chap.

My T350 only gets used 6-8 times a year, but that's 6-8 times a year I go wow and get to see things some people with refractors will never see. 😁

Although TBF I have a SW 100ED refractor which I don't really need, but I wouldn't get rid of it 😉

(buy a big dob)

Not quite Steve, but i've had 12" and 10" Dobs before and enjoyed some memorable views at our local dark 'ish' site. I kind of feel 'i've been there and done that'. A bit.

If i had the skys and a really dark site i'd have some sort of scope to take advantage of it. But i don't and i need to be realistic about what i can see with my local conditions and my 55 yr old eyes.

Then theres the physical challenge as well that comes with owning a big scope. Its a struggle for me now lifting up my Planet tripod and mount !!

Edited by Space Hopper
  • Like 1

Congratulations on making it out of the gear acquisition merry go round. I think I am there too, except for a few very specific bits and pieces I keep my eye out for second hand. 

• Like 1