Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Planning and journaling

Matt S

Hi all,

I’ve found a few posts here with various observing lists, I’ve yet to find something that I can open them in mind. But it’s got me thinking and wondering what others are doing/using. 

I’ve been using Sky Guide on my phone/iPad to do a little planning before I head out to try some observing. The trouble is - it has a ‘what’s up’ section, but that’s really only focused on the planets. The search will give me various other things - but it requires me to dive into it, I can’t really plan a couple of hours worth of observing and what to aim for first. 

Admittedly, my scope and primary interest is the planets, but right now they’re not too visible for me and I know my scope is better suited to certain objects. So my question is: what do people tend to use/plan evenings with? I’ve seen Sky Safari mentioned a lot, I’ve also got a trial of Luminos although I’ve yet to figure it out. It seems pretty good - although there’s a lot in there I can’t use right now and committing to a subscription puts me off a little.

I haven’t motorised my mount yet, so easily zipping between objects is beyond me for now, so I’m thinking I’d quite like to an app that let me create a suitable list, have coordinates/reference - and maybe somewhere for me to make notes on my observing or how I located the object (so I can review/make improvements) - else I’ll end up looking at the same easy targets. 
Maybe I’m after two things here - I’m not sure. I was thinking of using Agenda (note app) for doing my note keeping, but I’m still not sure how to best form a suitable plan overall, and for the evening.

Sky Safari lets you create lists (and import / export) and make note of observations.  It also has quite a few standard object lists which are useful to start.  One of its best features (for me) is the way you can set up equipment for your scope and eyepieces and display the exact FOV on the map which helps immensely for star-hopping to DSOs.

• Like 5

I highly recommend SkySafari. I have it on my laptop and phone so they can speak to each other. What you do on one will appear on the other. So I go on the computer during the day, refer to observing lists on the planetarium or just look at potential targets that night. Create a bespoke observer list for that night which then appears on my phone which can be highlighted in the planetarium on the phone.

During the session I make notes in a handwritten log.

The next day I transfer those notes onto SkySafari. I now have a database of hundreds of my observations on SkySafari.

Ive tried other software in the past, nothing comes anywhere near SkySafari 

• Like 2

Thanks - that sounds like it might be what I’m after, I like the idea of knowing my FOV. 
I’m  guessing there’s no way to filter targets as suitable for your scope (sounds like it might be a bit of an ambiguous statement)?

I mostly use SkyTools4 visual (https://www.skyhound.com/skytools_visual.html) - it’s got the ability to create lists of objects you want to observe -e.g Hershel 400, or all planetary nebulae brighter than mag 15 etc. In a list like this, not all will be visible on any given night, but you can then create a plan that filters the list to those likely to be visible given your location, scope, the moon phase, and the time period you wish to observe…It’s got great charts for star hopping, but can also control a GoTo/push to scope if you get the real time add on..In which case you also get the ability to use a SkyTour mode, which turns the plan into an interactive observing session…It also allows you to log observations, find dates/times of events e.g GRS transits or shadow transits at Jupiter. It’s only available as a windows app, but I run it on a PCstick and RDP/VNC from an iPad or chromebook. It’s relatively expensive at $140, but it does the lot for me…

Edited by catburglar
Corrected typos

Using various sources to keep abreast of celestial events like SGL, Sky at Night Magazine (inc. their Youtube monthly), BAA journals, Astro Soc. newsletters Observers' guides like our very own @Ags Discovering Double Stars and Sky Safari Pro.

Then good old pencil and a paper note book to make lists and journal observations. The less time spent looking at a screen while at the eyepiece the better.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 7

50 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Then good old pencil and a paper note book to make lists and journal observations. The less time spent looking at a screen while at the eyepiece the better.

What he said 👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can go old school with a book, Turn Left at Orion is another excellent source for your planning since it breaks it into seasons/constellations. Online resources are also excellent, I prefer Stellarium and Skysafari, good old google  😀. It also depends what you are interested to see, that will also narrow down your observing list.

Try read the Observing report section at SGL, and make a list of what others have seen with a setup or skies similar to you. I get inspired many times from other reports and their description and I add them to my list. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Kon said:

Try read the Observing report section at SGL, and make a list of what others have seen with a setup or skies similar to you. I get inspired many times from other reports and their description and I add them to my list.

There’s many a time I’ve read a report with a target that has peaked my interest, then gone straight to SkySafari and added it to a list 

• Like 3

That’s a great idea - I’m still finding my way around and hadn’t really discovered that section yet. 
I’ll head over and browse for some targets that look interesting. 

Looks like I may be headed in SkySafari’s direction too - whilst I really liked SkyGuide it doesn’t let me make target lists. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Matt S said:

Thanks - that sounds like it might be what I’m after, I like the idea of knowing my FOV. 
I’m  guessing there’s no way to filter targets as suitable for your scope (sounds like it might be a bit of an ambiguous statement)?

In SkySafari Plus or Pro there is a planner which allows you to list targets based on a wide range of criteria eg by object type, brightness, constellation, altitude, separation (if a double star) etc. So for example it is quite easy to produce a list of double stars in Orion with brightness greater than mag 10 and separations between 1” and 3”. You can then display these on the star chart and work your way through them by star hopping, or using SkySafari to drive a push to or Goto mount.

457B77DE-9B15-4CB0-BCAB-F6B0A78EF92E.thumb.png.080e77f848e28156e09a6685d4f7afe1.png

45ABD646-26A4-4BB9-B7E0-E6A21539FC95.thumb.png.dd4fc0f1a23dd5404cdfdb2eaa55342e.png

76053CEF-8E5C-4CC2-B24B-DFC29E3058E4.thumb.png.01247ee0b7d253769dcd96579cf43de4.png

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Matt S said:

@Stu - that looks perfect!! Just the sort of thing I was after to help me plan my evening. 

FYI the planner facility, FOV display and scope interface are all available in the "Plus" version too. From the planner, you can also save any results selection as an observing list, which you can recall at any time.
The main advantage of the "Pro" version is that it extends the database of objects down to dimmer magnitudes.

Thanks @Zermelo, I’ve grabbed the Plus version - have been attempting to input my various bits of equipment. 
Bit flummoxed by what camera sensor offset values should be - but assume 0 is fine if I’ve not played with that.

Am liking the FOV display and the option to filter objects by altitude (i have tall trees!). 

Of course, now all I want is to get my go-to upgrades on order 🤪

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Matt S said:

Thanks @Zermelo, I’ve grabbed the Plus version - have been attempting to input my various bits of equipment. 
Bit flummoxed by what camera sensor offset values should be - but assume 0 is fine if I’ve not played with that.

Am liking the FOV display and the option to filter objects by altitude (i have tall trees!). 

Of course, now all I want is to get my go-to upgrades on order 🤪

You can also adjust the horizon in two ways. One by just raising the horizon level in a flat line to help judge where objects may or may not be visible. More useful is the ability to create custom horizons based on your location. I created this in another app and uploaded it to SkySafari. I’ve yet to do this in 7 Pro for my new location and can’t remember exactly how I did it, but believe there are some instructions around on here which I will try to dig out and post up here.

460E217C-71ED-4AA4-BEFE-CFB894BDB110.png

63E9D946-5D04-4E57-9B33-E70923D4AE35.png

• Like 1

Thanks @Stu, that looks interesting. My main spot at the moment (my garden) possesses a lot of tall obstructions, so drawing my horizon and being able to get my timing for when a target is available could be very handy indeed. Will definitely check this out. 

• Like 1

I tend to go for double and multiple stars with clusters thrown in. 

But I will add planets and other objects "comets" for one when they are about. 

I then make a list in pen of what I want to view then take the list and a pencil out and write little notes I.e eyepiece I used colour of the stars anything of interest in a few words. 

I then transfer them into a yearly journal and write a report up on here for others to read. 

I have various books "Cambridge double star atlas, Sissy Haas double stars for small telescopes and a book on clusters and nebulas. 

Just to add I usually pick one or two constellations in favourable positions that night.

Edited by wookie1965
  • Like 3

The only point I’d add to the above thread really is that I often use the Day One Journalling app with a dedicated Astronomy observations section. I tend to transfer my observing notes plus any images etc. to this as it’s a little easier to view and navigate than the other apps (it’s a dedicated journal app after all). I use Sky Safari (mainly) and Luminos for all the other stuff. Yet to figure out the advantages of the new Luminos with subs though. 
18B56666-53E5-4A81-9465-C1D34CA2CBBF.thumb.png.8f57494140393a3fb84f3c9c5f849298.png

I use sky safari to save the objects I want to look at if I am going to have a lot but usually I only go for a few targets in a session so I don't need a list to remember.

I don't write notes down in the field, I might sketch (rarely) and I make notes by talking into a cheap dictaphone as it is easier that writing and it means I don't need to light up the paper I'm writing on which would harm my night vision to some degree.

I use different sources for targets, including Turn Left. These are then entered as “T” on my observing log which you can download from my site below. I take print outs to my telescope as I don’t mind if they get soggy. Star Char or Sky Safari are used when I need to find a more difficult object.