Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark skies at last….

Stu

After years of staring up at the light polluted skies west of London, particularly the glow from Heathrow, we have finally made the move somewhere darker. My new home is in Crewkerne, Somerset and having checked Clear Outside before moving I was hopefully that the skies would be significantly better than at home which is mag 19 at best. CO predicted 20.83, and although I expected that was a little optimistic, I thought 20.5 ish was possible.

Anyway, after a fairly chaotic move and feeling pretty exhausted, I managed to locate my SQM and pop outside last night to have a look as the skies were clear. Amazingly I could clearly see the Milky Way overhead, with the Cygnus rift nice and clear, and the SQM did indeed measure around 20.5 overhead and to the north and east. South looks over the town, but the lights are well controlled so it was around 20.3 at about 45 degrees altitude to the south.

Another wonderful thing is that the garden faces due south, with a decent horizon so Jupiter and Saturn were clear of any obstacles, and I could see most of the Teapot asterism in Sagittarius so it is all looking very promising.

To say I’m pleased is an understatement! Being able to see the MW from my garden is something I’ve dreamt of for a long time. In addition, I know that even darker skies, mag 21+ are only 15 mins away, and the south coast is about 35 mins for those really low down objects.

I’ve got a few nice ‘new’ toys to play with too which I will introduce elsewhere, so my Astro observing is looking up! 👍👍

• Like 35

Congratulations Stu. Sounds a super location. Make the most of it. 👍🏻

You certainly don’t hang about, seems like only a few weeks since you mentioned you plan, but I expect is was in development a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

My new home is in Crewkerne, Somerset

Stu, 

we were down at Cricket St Thomas a week ago so went through Crewkerne a few times, lovely part of the world congratulations on the dark skys.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Congratulations Stu. Sounds a super location. Make the most of it. 👍🏻

You certainly don’t hang about, seems like only a few weeks since you mentioned you plan, but I expect is was in development a while.

Thanks Jeremy. It has been in the offing for quite a while, so to us it feels like ages! We were trying to move by the end of June to catch the stamp duty window but it didn’t work out. In now though so all is good.

• Like 1

Well done Stu. I’ve found CO’s estimates to slightly _understate_ the best darkness actually, based on lots of data from 2 very different places. CO stated my Middlesex place to be 19.05, whereas I’ve regularly got 19.15 there. And CO puts where I am in Ireland at 21.83, and I have measured over 22 a couple of times. The MW quite high at the moment makes quite a bit of difference to the zenith reading, so I reckon you’ll easily see 20.8+ from your garden during winter.

I look forward to reading about the new toys!

Magnus

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

I wish you happiness and much great observing in your new home Stu.

Thats quite a move, presume no commute to London required ongoing.

Thanks Alan 😀

I will need to go into the office some of the time but will be working remotely the rest of the time. I am fully remote currently due to the high covid numbers; fortunately my employer has a very good attitude towards health and safety so are allowing continued remote working until the numbers some down.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

Well done Stu. I’ve found CO’s estimates to slightly _understate_ the best darkness actually, based on lots of data from 2 very different places. CO stated my Middlesex place to be 19.05, whereas I’ve regularly got 19.15 there. And CO puts where I am in Ireland at 21.83, and I have measured over 22 a couple of times. The MW quite high at the moment makes quite a bit of difference to the zenith reading, so I reckon you’ll easily see 20.8+ from your garden during winter.

I look forward to reading about the new toys!

Magnus

Thanks Magnus. That’s great news! I will report back as I get more time here.

Don't tell everyone how good it is down here!  We don't want them all moving! :D

Best of luck in your new home, Stu.  I seem to recall a few SGL members being over in that part of Somerset.

James

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

Welcome to the Westcountry!  Tis alright down 'ere.

For great southerly views for those low targets I would pay a visit to Eype or Seatown.

Thank you! Yes, we have already discovered Seatown and I can see myself observing from there quite a bit 👍

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, John said:

The Norman Lockyer observatory near Sidmouth is an easy trip from you now - great place to visit and observe if you get a chance !

Thanks John. I’ll look into that and maybe pop down 👍

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Does Chateau Stu have grounds available for an SGL starparty?

A small one perhaps! 🤣

This is looking due South. The tree looks like it blocks a lot, but there is plenty of space either side and beyond it to observe.

19EAA941-2168-44ED-8B7E-1E8513EA6A6B.jpeg

• Like 7

That's brilliant Stu, really happy for you.

I still remember my first night here after moving in, walking out onto the patio, looking up after no dark adaptation and seeing the milky way glittering overhead. Brought a big silly grin to my face!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

My new home is in Crewkerne, Somerset and having checked Clear Outside before moving I was hopefully that the skies would be significantly better than at home which is mag 19 at best.

Thats a long way to go to escape the light pollution ;) Good luck with your new abode!

Very nice. Congrats Stu. Do you need a butler?

I know the difference between a fish knife and dessert spoon, and cook a mean bacon and egg butty (sausage on alternating days). 

At night an astronomy caddy, 'Will Sir be using alt az tonight?'. Go on, impress your friends with a northern servant!

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
dessert!
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Stu said:

A small one perhaps! 🤣

This is looking due South. The tree looks like it blocks a lot, but there is plenty of space either side and beyond it to observe.

19EAA941-2168-44ED-8B7E-1E8513EA6A6B.jpeg

Looks amazing Stu. I can tell you will be very happy there. Have you already started speaking slowly and leaning on farm gates whilst chewing a piece of straw?

Oh, and I see a nice spot for @ScouseSpaceCadet’s rustic hovel 👍🏻

• Haha 2