Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Forgot to introduce myself lol.

Broadymike

Hi all. 

Totally was rude and didn't introduce myself before asking questions lol.

Well I live on the south east coast of England. Its a beautiful part of the world to live. I have always been interested in all things space related. One of my first memories was of watching the first space shuttle launch as a kid. For some reason my interest has been rekindled the past couple of years. 

A couple of months ago a friend gave me a cheap 70mm refractor they had lying around. I bought some cheap plossl eyepieces and had a few nights out and got some reasonable views of the moon and planets. Unfortunately the scope wasn't really up to much more than that but by this point I was hooked. I already had some 10x50 binoculars so I was using these as well. 

Money is a bit tight at the moment due to covid killing half my income (I'm a musician) so have been just window shopping for when things pick up. Then a few days ago on fb marketplace I found a celestron 114eq for the bargain price of £35. It is basically in brand new condition, only been out of the box twice they said and I can definitely believe them lol. 

OK it's not the scope I would have chosen but at that price I couldn't really say no. I know it has its drawbacks but I already at least had some better eyepieces to get that issue sorted. Managed now to get it out twice. The first night wasn't a great night. Was a lot of patchy cloud around. I basically used the evening as a test night to make sure that everything worked. Then last night was out until 3am. Got some nice views of jupiter, Saturn and M31. 

So all in all totally hooked and loving my new pastime. 

Clear skies and good times!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Broadymike said:

Well I live on the south east coast of England. Its a beautiful part of the world to live. I have always been interested in all things space related. One of my first memories was of watching the first space shuttle launch as a kid. For some reason my interest has been rekindled the past couple of years. 

I had just bought my first video recorder (Sony Betamax) and that was the 1st thing I recorded. Unfortunately these where not readily available domestically for Apollo 11 in ‘69.

And welcome to SGL