NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Single most useful stargazing accessory?

heliumstar

My birthday is coming up and I am browsing all the usual UK suspects (astro shops) to see what I can give to myself :D Last year my lady paid for the Tak and I tried this year again but it looks like I need some socks so that's in the works now. I am thinking to get some decent accessory (or maybe -ies??) so need some suggestions.

For me, Rigel finder is that single most useful accessory. I have Synta/Vixen style shoe for it so it goes from scope to scope.

Suggest away :) Let's say £500 price limit.....but if you find some thing is really useful the budget can be stretched.

3 hours ago, Space Hopper said:

Something comfortable and practical to sit on while you observe.

I use a 'Mey' (from Germany) musicians stool.

Like this one :

https://www.thomann.de/gb/mey_chair_systems_af6_kl_bk.htm

I've promised myself one of these 'soon' but I imagine if you have a Tak, you probably have a decent seat...

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/geoptik-nadira-astronomy-observing-chair.html

I found the best observing accessories bought were a better tent and warmer sleeping bag... A shame the pandemic ruined the plans. ☹️

ODA - observers digital assistant.

A.k.a. dedicated for astronomy use second-hand rooted offline Android smartphone or tablet with large AMOLED screen, good long exposures in RAW capable camera, and preferably the stylus pen. And surely a bunch of astronomy apps for it. By the end of the year you will be also able using it to point your telescope effortlessly to any object leveraging the real-time plate solving push-to similar to the Celestron StarSense Explorer.

8 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

I've promised myself one of these 'soon' but I imagine if you have a Tak, you probably have a decent seat...

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/geoptik-nadira-astronomy-observing-chair.html

I also have one of these, beautifully made, solid and excellent value. Super happy with it. Together with the bino-viewer, I can now observe in comfort for much longer. 👍

Edited by RobertI
  • Thanks 1

I'd be tempted to say my OVNI-M night vision device as it's totally transformed my stargazing.

However, the accessory that I always use, whatever the telescope, is an adjustable height observing chair.   Not only do I find it more comfortable, but I actually see more, especially on difficult threshold objects.

I have two such chairs, firstly a Skywatcher Anti-Tip /Omegon Astro Observation chair I use with my Dobs. 

Secondly, a Ksera Telescoping Folding Stool for my refractor.   This is exceptionally light and compact and also perfect for travelling.  Costs less than £30.  Go to https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0861HZMKD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Telescopic Folding Stool.jpg

Edited by Second Time Around
  • Like 5

I’m a visual observer with an EQ mount. I don’t need the level of polar alignment required for Astro photography, and provided by plate solving etc but I do like as accurate pa as I can get using the polar scope so I can track and improve GoTo accuracy. The single most useful accessory I have ever bought is the right angled eyepiece for polar scope 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-right-angled-eyepiece-for-polar-scopes.html

Makes life so easy, quick and accurate 

Another vote here for a binoviewer. It's the single most impressive and worthwhile game changing accessory in my possession. For £500 you'd be able to sneak a couple of 18mm quality plossl or ortho's in there too perhaps.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2021 at 21:45, Second Time Around said:

I have two such chairs, firstly a Skywatcher Anti-Tip /Omegon Astro Observation chair I use with my Dobs. 

Secondly, a Ksera Telescoping Folding Stool for my refractor.

Is this because the Ksera doesn't extend high enough for your Dob?

7 hours ago, Spile said:

Is this because the Ksera doesn't extend high enough for your Dob?

No, even right at the zenith the height is fine (I'm 5ft 9ins), unless I'm using my equatorial platform under the 10 inch f/4.8.  Even then I can get very nearly to the zenith.  As you probably know, the notorious "Dobson's Hole" makes observing at the zenith difficult anyway.

The reason is disability -  I struggle to get up and turn round, especially during a long session.  With the Skywatcher I can lift myself up just a few inches and grip the seat to adjust the height. 

I use my 72mm f/6 refractor at night for short grab 'n go sessions, plus in the day for solar and travel.  So I'm sufficiently mobile then for long enough.  Additionally, it has a short tube so doesn't need as much height adjustment.

But for many able-bodied observers the telescopic stool would be fine for Dobs, depending of course on their height and how high off the ground the eyepiece is.  

I'd add that the stool adjusts from 6.5-45 cms/2.5-18 ins, whereas the chair's range is 30-82 cms/12-32 ins.

Edited by Second Time Around

On 11/03/2021 at 16:45, Second Time Around said:

I'd be tempted to say my OVNI-M night vision device as it's totally transformed my stargazing.

However, the accessory that I always use, whatever the telescope, is an adjustable height observing chair.   Not only do I find it more comfortable, but I actually see more, especially on difficult threshold objects.

Secondly, a Ksera Telescoping Folding Stool for my refractor.   This is exceptionally light and compact and also perfect for travelling.  Costs less than £30.  Go to https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0861HZMKD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Telescopic Folding Stool.jpg

Thanks for posting, I just went on youtube to have a look at these, brilliant! I will order one right away.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

No, even right at the zenith the height is fine (I'm 5ft 9ins), unless I'm using my equatorial platform under the 10 inch f/4.8.  Even then I can get very nearly to the zenith.  As you probably know, the notorious "Dobson's Hole" makes observing at the zenith difficult anyway.

The reason is disability -  I struggle to get up and turn round, especially during a long session.  With the Skywatcher I can lift myself up just a few inches and grip the seat to adjust the height. 

I use my 72mm f/6 refractor at night for short grab 'n go sessions, plus in the day for solar and travel.  So I'm sufficiently mobile then for long enough.  Additionally, it has a short tube so doesn't need as much height adjustment.

But for many able-bodied observers the telescopic stool would be fine for Dobs, depending of course on their height and how high off the ground the eyepiece is.  

I'd add that the stool adjusts from 6.5-45 cms/2.5-18 ins, whereas the chair's range is 30-82 cms/12-32 ins.

Thanks for the clarification. The lightness of that stool appeals.

Edited by Spile
  • Like 1

Polemaster to date has been the piece of kit that still puts a smile on my face whenever I use it- really worth it. Of course similar can be achieved with Sharpcap and suitable camera.   I've recently placed an order with FLO for the Asair Pro - I wanted something that was easy to use and didn't suffer from skill fade.  From what I could see from the various reviews it looks like a useful bit of kit.  What about software - PixInsight ?   I think my next major purchase will need to be something to take me into the mobile , grab and go world.    I would love to get into Night Vision or maybe a nice spectroscope but that will need to wait until retirement :) 

Jim 

• Like 1