Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Nottinghamshire

Kev25

Hi, 

I am a new member just thought I would introduce myself.  I am a complete beginner in astronomy, have thought about getting a telescope on and off for many years, but have always been daunted by which was worth buying as a first scope .   Thanks to this forum's advice I am pretty confident now in buying a heritage 150p flextube.  I live in a village about 15 miles from Nottingham so the light pollution isn't too bad here.  My aims are quite modest, I would like to examine the surface of the moon and would be super thrilled if I could see Saturn and Jupiter.

Kevin

• Like 4

Hi Kevin, 

I can't speak from much experience as a beginner myself but I've had good views of the rings of saturn and moons of jupiter from Harrow (Bortle 8!).

I viewed this with a 650mm fl/100mm aperture scope so you should get some cracking views with the 750mm/150mm heritage 150 in your area! 

Placed an order with FLO this morning, not in stock, so will have to be patient .   Thanks for the replies and words of encouragement.  Tiny Clanger has me worried now, sounds like this could just be the start of something very expensive😊😊

21 hours ago, Kev25 said:

Placed an order with FLO this morning, not in stock, so will have to be patient .   Thanks for the replies and words of encouragement.  Tiny Clanger has me worried now, sounds like this could just be the start of something very expensive😊😊

Welcome....... and so it begins 🤣

20 hours ago, Neo_uk said:

Hi kevin and welcome ....

Have you visited sherwood observatory in mansfield ....well worth going if not ...look out for there open evenings .

No, I have never been there, didn't realize that had open evenings, will have to keep a look out for that. Thanks.

On 01/12/2020 at 08:36, Kev25 said:

Hi, 

I am a new member just thought I would introduce myself.  I am a complete beginner in astronomy, have thought about getting a telescope on and off for many years, but have always been daunted by which was worth buying as a first scope .   Thanks to this forum's advice I am pretty confident now in buying a heritage 150p flextube.  I live in a village about 15 miles from Nottingham so the light pollution isn't too bad here.  My aims are quite modest, I would like to examine the surface of the moon and would be super thrilled if I could see Saturn and Jupiter.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I'm in Saxondale, just down the road ;) 

On 03/12/2020 at 17:09, kirkster501 said:

Hi Kevin,

I'm in Saxondale, just down the road ;) 

Hi, nice to hear from you, how have you found the light pollution in saxondale?

On 05/12/2020 at 08:45, Kev25 said:

Hi, nice to hear from you, how have you found the light pollution in saxondale?

It is liveable with and in any event, we just have to get on with it the best we can, whatever the skies.  Bortle 4-5 where I am.  Out your way, Orston etc, it is much better and drops to about 3.  I sometimes head out that way to some fields between you and Bottesford for the dark skies if I want to be observing very faint stuff. 

Hi Kevin, welcome to SGL.

Hopefully your scope arrives soon....

I am from notts also > bortle 8 here however.

Interested what kirkster501 mentioned about better bortle areas nearby... as i would love to find a less light polluted area to observe from.

On 01/12/2020 at 13:29, Kev25 said:

Tiny Clanger has me worried now, sounds like this could just be the start of something very expensive😊

It may be limited by your wallet, by your self-control, by any partner you may have, or by all of them, or by none!
(It may also be limited - temporarily - by the Covid-inspired stock shortages.)

The one thing it won't be limited by is the amount of stuff out there that "they" are inventing for you to buy, which seems to be as limitless as the universe we are pointing it all at. 😂

Welcome to SGL.