Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings from a newbie in Birmingham, UK!

Frankiej90

Hi all,

After stalking the forum and being a bit of an armchair/back garden wannabe astronomer for a few years, I'm finally taking the plunge to get out and about as much as possible (clouds permitting!) and take my stargazing up a notch. 

I've always loved the night sky and the wider universe but have never owned a scope. I'm an amateur photographer so I'm hoping to get started with some naked eye spotting and shooting some landscape astro pics. I've got a pair of 10x50 bins which I need to get some more use out of too. I would love to get a scope in the not too distant future though!

I am in a really light polluted inner city area so will mainly be trying to find the best dark sky sites reasonably near me to make the most of.

Really looking forward to learning from this forum and getting to know some of you! 😀

All the best,

Frankie 

• Like 2

Frankie

Welcome from Land Down Under

For AP, you really need a scope with a Go To mount to enable tracking

You cannot go far wrong with either a Skywatcher ED100 or ED120 on a HEQ5 mount

Have attached pic of my ED80 on a EQ5pro mount, taken at my club solar viewing day last year

In the background is another ED80 on a HEQ5 mount, with a Canon 600D attached

These days, lot of people are using ZWO ASI cameras for guider scope and imaging

The attached link is my local astronomy shop, showing what is available respect to ZWO ASI camera

The ZWO ASIAir, is also a smart WiFi device with multiple USB ports for controlling ZWO ASI camera, and smart device such as a tablet or laptop using Stellarium software to control your ZWO Air devices 

https://www.bintel.com.au/product-category/imaging/zwo-cameras/?v=322b26af01d5

https://stellarium.org/

John

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

Frankie

Welcome from Land Down Under

For AP, you really need a scope with a Go To mount to enable tracking

You cannot go far wrong with either a Skywatcher ED100 or ED120 on a HEQ5 mount

Have attached pic of my ED80 on a EQ5pro mount, taken at my club solar viewing day last year

In the background is another ED80 on a HEQ5 mount, with a Canon 600D attached

These days, lot of people are using ZWO ASI cameras for guider scope and imaging

The attached link is my local astronomy shop, showing what is available respect to ZWO ASI camera

The ZWO ASIAir, is also a smart WiFi device with multiple USB ports for controlling ZWO ASI camera, and smart device such as a tablet or laptop using Stellarium software to control your ZWO Air devices 

https://www.bintel.com.au/product-category/imaging/zwo-cameras/?v=322b26af01d5

https://stellarium.org/

John

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

Hi John

Thank you very much for the warm welcome and great recommendations. Your set-up looks fantastic! I will certainly check them out and start some research. 

All the best,

Frankie 

12 hours ago, Frankiej90 said:

Hi all,

After stalking the forum and being a bit of an armchair/back garden wannabe astronomer for a few years, I'm finally taking the plunge to get out and about as much as possible (clouds permitting!) and take my stargazing up a notch. 

I've always loved the night sky and the wider universe but have never owned a scope. I'm an amateur photographer so I'm hoping to get started with some naked eye spotting and shooting some landscape astro pics. I've got a pair of 10x50 bins which I need to get some more use out of too. I would love to get a scope in the not too distant future though!

I am in a really light polluted inner city area so will mainly be trying to find the best dark sky sites reasonably near me to make the most of.

Really looking forward to learning from this forum and getting to know some of you! 😀

All the best,

Frankie 

Welcome...from another newbie with 'bins' 🙃

Youve come to the right place!

• Like 1

Welcome, don't rush Ian to buying a scope, if astro imaging is the road you take it can get astronomical, lol. Most of my kit is second hand and is 50% cheaper than buying new. Most people look after their equipment but seek advice first. Enjoy your hobby. Try grabbing a pic of the comet Neowise in wide angle with tripod and camera t the moment.

• Like 1

Hi Frankie, Welcome. 
I’ve only been here since April and like you kept stalking/reading things on here. I felt guilty in the end using it Without being a member so I finally joined. I only do the visual stuff and have to admit when I read some of the astrophotographers post’s I’m totally lost. Binoculars, cameras and telescopes as individual items I understand but not when they are used together 🤔

Dale. 

• Like 2

On 13/07/2020 at 17:18, WiltsStarGazer said:

Welcome to a very friendly and informative forum.

Bins will be excellent for a bit of comet watching.

Hi WiltsStarGazer,

Thank you and yes I'm hoping to get some sight of NEOWISE this week if the skies are clear!