Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Greetings from a newbie in Birmingham, UK!

Frankiej90

22 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Welcome, don't rush Ian to buying a scope, if astro imaging is the road you take it can get astronomical, lol. Most of my kit is second hand and is 50% cheaper than buying new. Most people look after their equipment but seek advice first. Enjoy your hobby. Try grabbing a pic of the comet Neowise in wide angle with tripod and camera t the moment.

Hi Nigella

Thanks for the welcome and advice. I can imagine it's not a budget friendly hobby! 

Definitely looking forward to try and spot and shoot NEOWISE this week if the skies are clear.

Frankie 

• Like 1

On 13/07/2020 at 21:41, maw lod qan said:

Welcome from Florida. What ever you decide to eventually have for your kit, believe me, you have already made one smart decision joining this amazing group!

Thanks @maw lod qan I'm looking forward to getting stuck in!

12 hours ago, Dantooine said:

Hi Frankie, Welcome. 
I’ve only been here since April and like you kept stalking/reading things on here. I felt guilty in the end using it Without being a member so I finally joined. I only do the visual stuff and have to admit when I read some of the astrophotographers post’s I’m totally lost. Binoculars, cameras and telescopes as individual items I understand but not when they are used together 🤔

Dale. 

Hi Dale

Thanks for the welcome. 

I know what you mean, it's a big learning curve but I can see the forum being invaluable for learning! I think starting small is the way to go for now and of course doing lots of research along the way 🙂

Frankie

Welcome Frankie,

A great time to take your astronomy to the next level.... with that comet blazing away in the night sky.

Lots of very experienced and wise owls on here from all the world who will give out good friendly advice.  

Set yourself a goal..... and go for it.

sean.

• Thanks 1

Depending in on where and which side of Birmingham you are in, you need to track down a dark sky location you can head out to. If you'r north end then Shropshire Hills around Church Stretton / Long Mynd area would be an option. Worcestershire, Herefordshire, and Staffordshire are also options. There is a web site that you can search for dark sky sites: https://gostargazing.co.uk/location-map/

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Craney said:

Welcome Frankie,

A great time to take your astronomy to the next level.... with that comet blazing away in the night sky.

Lots of very experienced and wise owls on here from all the world who will give out good friendly advice.  

Set yourself a goal..... and go for it.

sean.

Thanks for the welcome Sean!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tenor Viol said:

Depending in on where and which side of Birmingham you are in, you need to track down a dark sky location you can head out to. If you'r north end then Shropshire Hills around Church Stretton / Long Mynd area would be an option. Worcestershire, Herefordshire, and Staffordshire are also options. There is a web site that you can search for dark sky sites: https://gostargazing.co.uk/location-map/

Thank you for the tips and link Tenor, I will definitely check them out 👍

Hi & welcome to the Forum.

Neowise is North West to North but very low down 10 -15 degrees above the horizon but it may be clear tonight so do try, I think Walsall AS are going to Barr Beacon tonight.

Think about joining your local astro society to get advice as well.

Regards Steve (Wolverhampton AS)

• Like 1

On 19/07/2020 at 16:31, SteveWolves said:

Hi & welcome to the Forum.

Neowise is North West to North but very low down 10 -15 degrees above the horizon but it may be clear tonight so do try, I think Walsall AS are going to Barr Beacon tonight.

Think about joining your local astro society to get advice as well.

Regards Steve (Wolverhampton AS)

Hi Steve

Thanks for the welcome. I didn't actually see your message until a short while ago but I did manage to view and get a couple of shots of, Neowise yesterday and it was awesome!

I will definitely look into local societies too, thank you. 

Frankie