SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE)

Such a rapid brightnening so close to the Sun... I don't want to be a pessimist (because I am not 😉) but couldn't that be a sign of desintegration? Perihelion is 3 July, fingers crossed. If it survives, it could be interesting.

I saw reports of the brightening on another forum last night, so some trepidation when I looked on C3 just now, but I dont see any of the lumpy that I saw earlier on, all looks normal - - so far ! -- fingers and everything xxed ! :)

There is some doubt in the other place about the veracity of those two new  observations on the light curve, apparently based on only one comparison star of unknown colour index, but hey, bit academic, we'll know soon enough.

Yes, me two :) just now, thinking two tails beginning to display nice

and playing in Gimp to see what I could pull out :-

edit I think I over did the blur a bit trying to squish the noise.

TwoTailsB.jpg

Edited by Corncrake

The comet is really getting better. I think the tail (or tails, idk...) looks quite short. That's surely because the comet is pointing close to the SOHO... I hope I'm right. Here, the comet last monday and right when I publish this comment ;)

20200623_0142_c3_1024.jpghttps://soho.nascom.nasa.gov/data/REPROCESSING/Completed/2020/c3/20200625/20200625_1206_c3_1024.jpg

I think the comet is likely going to be similar to C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) back then by 2013, or even better! 

Edited by HaleBopp2007

21 hours ago, Waddensky said:

I don't want to be a pessimist (because I am not 😉) but couldn't that be a sign of desintegration? 

I don't think so, but if the comet was fading, then it would be a sign. Look what happened to SWAN

Edited by HaleBopp2007

Neo seems to have brightened again in the last 24hrs and continues to show distinct twin ion and dust tails.  The continual brightening for me is a good sign.  It shows the increased material ejection wasn't an 'event'   Neo really is the 'one'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 22/06/2020 at 12:00, Corncrake said:

There is an overlay of all transits of C3 for2020 in the spaceweater archive for 16June.
which shows NEOWISE crossing the field bottom right.

https://www.spaceweather.com/images2020/15jun20/c3transits.jpg

EDIT harrumpf it was there when I posted onnest but now it is giving a 404 :(

try again :

https://www.spaceweather.com/images2020/15jun20/c3transits.jpg

c3transits.jpg

C/2020 seems to be clearly visible on LASCO C3: https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/lasco-coronagraph

Its no Halley, but considerably brighter than all stars in view...

Edited by uhb1966

3 minutes ago, uhb1966 said:

C/2020 seems to be clearly visible on LASCO C3: https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/lasco-coronagraph

Yes, thanks.

The problem in my post was that the graphic with the transits failed to show initially so  I did a quick update to correct it ! All has been working fine since then, except I forgot to go back to edit and tidy up my post !

BAA estimate that Neo has hit Mag 1 with six more days before perihelion so expect further improvement to come.  Negative magnitudes are realistic at this stage.  Only one more day on SOHO then it's a waiting game to see what appears in the pre-dawn sky.

There's an interesting post about C/2020 F3 on CN. If the comet survives perihelion, it will be visible very low above the NE horizon early July in the morning, the view unfortunately much affected by dawn and moonlight. Later in the month the comet becomes an evening object, still very low and already much dimmer.  So while the conditions are not favourable, if it lives up to the expectations the comet might become a nice binocular object. Fingers crossed!

I think the comet is likely going to be like PANSTARRS back then in 2013... About the moonlight thing, the moon is going to be in the other side of the sky when the comet is in the sky... 

Edited by HaleBopp2007

Some reports have said that the comet was mag +0.7 when it left the LASCO C3 field. I don't think it made it that bright that early, but if it did, it's better than +1.5 magnitude as most people say...

EDIT: So, the comet DID leave the LASCO field at that magnitude, well, +0.8, but it's still really good! 

Edited by HaleBopp2007