Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Birthday present for husband - advice on beginner telescopes to buy!

Hi there all. I know this is asked a lot but I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the information and advice out there about which is the best telescope to buy as a beginner. I literally have no idea! My husband is very interested and I want to get him something special for his 40th birthday. We live out in the country, so no light pollution and lots of storage. He also isn't shy of complicated technical stuff! I'm leaning towards this https://www.cameracentreuk.com/skywatcher-explorer-130m-eq2-motorised-newtonian-reflector-telescope?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzKHMysuN6AIVSkHTCh3MxgUNEAkYASABEgJGIPD_BwE or this https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html. The latter seems really big though but from what I can tell it's a real classic, easy to use and gets great results?! He'd like to see the moon, planets, galaxies/star clusters and deep sky objects (I imagine!). Any recommendations gratefully received, and if I'm missing a trick somewhere please let me know! :) 

I would stay away from anything with an EQ2 mount. Minimum should be an EQ3. The EQ2 just won’t be very stable. Of course the EQ3 is more expensive but skimpimg on the mount is a false economy.

The 8” dob will show a lot more than the 130 and is so easy to use. Good reason that size is so often recommended. The Skywatcher dob is OK but if your budget will stretch to it the Bresser 8” dob has better build quality and is better equipped. You do get what you pay for.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bresser-telescopes/bresser-messier-8-dobsonian-telescope.html

or

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/bresser-messier-8--dobsonian-telescope-4716420.html#SID=1684

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 4

I started my stargazing early last year with the Skywatcher 200P 8” dobsonian and have never regretted buying it as it is a very easy scope to use and with my platform trolley (home made) I can take it from the garage to my viewing spot and be sorted in about 2 minutes. My other 2 scopes are ok but my Dob is by far the easiest to use.

• Like 1

I'd recommend you avoid equatorial mounts altogether.  They're more difficult to use and cost more for a given amount of stability.  It would be better to put the saving in cost into a bigger aperture scope.

A Dobsonian mount would be much more suitable for your husband.  The Skywatcher Dobsonian you linked to is good value for money, but like John I'd recommend you go for the slightly more expensive Bresser.  It comes with a highly regarded focusser plus the eyepiece is of good quality.  In particular the mounting is much better than all but the most expensive Dobsonians.  Comparing several Dobsonians in showrooms I also found the Bresser of a given size is more easily transported.  

• Like 1

Wow guys thank you so much for all your help! I'm definitely leaning towards the dobsonian, but good call on the Bressier, I hadn't considered that. Tbh I was originally thinking a £200 budget so already going over on the Skywatcher dob! But maybe I can be swayed...as you say, you get what you pay for! I have a couple of other questions, how easy is it to set up? I've read that is needs collimating (forgive my ignorance but I've no idea what that is, I'm super new to all this lingo!)...? Also, is it worth getting a barlow lens (or other), and a filter for the moon glare? I've read in certain reviews that it's worthwhile getting those things as well...

• Like 1

Hello @AliP80 and welcome to SGL.

The 8” Dobsonian is an excellent scope for beginners and experienced users too and can be upgraded in the future to a fully motorised/ tracking telescope as it suits you.

It will easily show a wealth of detail on the Moon and planets and as you have dark skies will perform well on the deep sky objects too.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AliP80 said:

Wow guys thank you so much for all your help! I'm definitely leaning towards the dobsonian, but good call on the Bressier, I hadn't considered that. Tbh I was originally thinking a £200 budget so already going over on the Skywatcher dob! But maybe I can be swayed...as you say, you get what you pay for! I have a couple of other questions, how easy is it to set up? I've read that is needs collimating (forgive my ignorance but I've no idea what that is, I'm super new to all this lingo!)...? Also, is it worth getting a barlow lens (or other), and a filter for the moon glare? I've read in certain reviews that it's worthwhile getting those things as well...

It is worth spending the extra money on the Bresser and First Light Optics are great to buy from.

An 8” Dobsonian will give serious performance for a very long time.

Dobsonians are very easy to setup - the base and scope can be carried outside separately if required in two trips at the most.

Collimation is just ensuring the mirrors all line up with each other - there are loads of guides on the net which take longer to read than the actual process takes 😀

The Bresser is supplied with a 25mm eyepiece giving x49 which is good for deep sky and the Moon, perhaps a barlow first then another eyepiece later would be a good first step.

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 3

Get the Dobsonian 200P - I've got a Skywatcher collapsible version and that's just great (takes up less storage space).  You will probably find the telescope come with two EP's a distance one and often one around 10 mm so you can get a fair look at the planets and moon and some of the DSO's.  Some people moan about these Plossls (that's the type of EP you might get), but mine were Skywatcher ones and I found they were quite OK to get going with - in fact I still have them in the box to use.  The best money spent initially would be on a different finder - the scope will probably come with an optical straight through finder like a classic 'captains' telescope, but the upgrade that he will want after one use is a finder with a right angle viewing place at the end - often called RACI optical finders - Right angle correct image.  If he struggles with that then the best device is a basic red dot finder (I have a Y mount on mine and use both).  Lot of folks will rave about something called a Telrad red dot finder, but TBH a cheap £10+ second hand basic red- dot finder (RDF) with the correct mounting foot will do the job quite well and is a very worthwhile 1st or 2nd purchase after the scope

• Like 2

200p all the way it will last a lifetime does everything I need a dob to do.

Before you buy why not go to a club near you and see what suits you.

Don't be swayed by what I say or anyone else. 

After all its you who has to use it .

Try them out ask questions .most of us are willing to help and answer questions. 

Please don't rush into buying something you may regret in time.

Or just sits in the corner not getting used.

Hope this helps.

I'm not getting into what's the better scope .I'm very happy with my 200p skyliner. Always will be. 

Whatever you finish up buying please use it regularly enjoy it.

Edited by fiestazetecmk2
More info

Once you’ve actually seen the Bresser dob in person it’s game over for the Skywatcher. The Bresser is just so much better in build quality and features. You would spend more upgrading the Skywatcher than just buying the Bresser in the first place. 

You really should try to see both in person and then make up your mind. 

• Like 2

The skywatcher 8" f6 dobsonian is good, but the bresser is better in mechanics in my opinion. The rocker box supporting the tube is really well designed. The altitude bearings allow one to track smoothly. The primary mirror collimation bolts are excellent. The focuser doesn't even compare..

The skywatcher is okay, but requires some upgrade to make it work really well, whilst the Bresser might only need a finder upgrade. 

If it were me, I would get him the Bresser as birthday and Christmas present.

• Like 1

Few other points in the Bresser’s favour. 

• Rubberized anti refection coating on the inside not just a thin coat of paint.
  • Proper 6 point mirror cell
  • Adjusment knobs on the secondary not just hex screws.
  • Tube rings allow the OTA to be moved up or down for balance
  • Tube rings allow the focuser to be rotated into the most convienient position
  • The alt bearings make great carry handles and also the OTA just drops into place on the base with no need to insert knobs .

Being collaoseable not needed in an 8” dob and is lighter and easier to carry. Collapseable makes more sense with bigger dobs.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

An 8" scope is a really capable instrument. I bought an 8" Schmidt Cassegrain telescope (SCT) on equatorial mount almost 25 years ago and still have it. Before that I had a 6" Newtonian on a Dobson-like mount, and it really got me going in astronomy. Later I wanted a bigger scope, with equatorial mount for imaging, and good portability, which made me settle for the 8" SCT. As a starter scope, that one would be rather over the top, however, and you pay a lot more for the exact same aperture as an 8" Dobson

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Being collaoseable not needed in an 8” dob and is lighter and easier to carry. Collapseable makes more sense with bigger dobs

I beg to differ having owned an 8" collapsible Dob I'd never consider a non-collapsible version - it's just so easy to store (taking about the size of a dining chair) and move around.

Just had a nosey at the bresser, lovely bit of kit that for a starter scope.

If you husband is techy, he can download skymaps to his smartphone to aid with finding objects in the sky, stellarium is a favourite. Can be found in playstore for android or the iPhone/pad app store. Oh and it's free.

You should definitely choose an 8'' Dob over a 130mm on EQ2.

Regarding your second question, I would say that the next thing to buy (before an moon filter or a barlow) would be a couple of decent eyepiece.

BST starguiders are highly regarded and are affortable 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bst-starguider-eyepieces.html

I reckon that a 5mm and a 12mm would be great with this scope.

• Like 1

It’s not that the Skywatcher dob be it a  solid tube or collapsible is a bad scope it’s just that having had both I just prefer the Bresser. 

I think it just comes down to buying what suits you the best not necessarily what different people recommend.  👍🏻

Edited by johninderby

I think this should be about presenting options to the OP with reasons why the more expensive option is worth the price, not trying to persuade based on own preferences.

@AliP80 I agree with all the comments about staying clear of the EQ2 mount, and opting for an 8" dobsonian. You will be more than happy with the 200P, it is one of the most popular scopes for a good reasons; very good performance at an excellent price. If you were already stretching your budget to get to this, then I suspect the Bresser, whilst mechanically better, would leave little room for additional accessories such as eyepieces that would make more of a difference to your husband's enjoyment of the scope.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AliP80 said:

I've got the 150mm version of this 200mm scope. Only got it recently as a beginner myself. 

I think it's great. I'm sure the more expensive one the others recommend is better, but I've got no complaints. The 150mm is closer to your £200 budget, but i do always think i should've got the 200mm one you link to!

It does take up a bit of room and is a bit heavy and cumbersome to carry, but you say you've got lots of storage space and if he has no problem carrying things generally he'll be fine.

I quickly wanted to upgrade on more eyepieces etc, the BST StarGuiders someone mentioned are very well reviewed for the price by more experienced people than i. 

Edited by RobH2020
  • Like 2

@AliP80 Please don't think you have to mod' a Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200p.  Many owners enjoy modding a scope to enhance performance, but most don't. 

FWIW my favourite mod for a traditional non-motorised Sky-Watcher Dobsonian was to fit several large washers - cut from a plastic milk carton - around the central bolt to achieve silky smooth stiction. I also recommend at some point you upgrade the 10mm eyepiece, because the one included is pants! 

I agree with others here who say the Dobsonian is a better buy than the 130M/EQ2. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, FLO said:

@AliP80 Please don't think you have to mod' a Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200p.  Many owners enjoy modding a scope to enhance performance, but most don't. 

FWIW my favourite mod for a traditional non-motorised Sky-Watcher Dobsonian was to fit several large washers - cut from a plastic milk carton - around the central bolt to achieve silky smooth stiction. I also recommend at some point you upgrade the 10mm eyepiece, because the one included is pants! 

I agree with others here who say the Dobsonian is a better buy than the 130M/EQ2. 

HTH, 

Steve 

I agree. I bought a Skywatcher 200P dobsonian (from First Light Optics as it happens) a few years back and it worked well straight out of the box. Once of the best scopes that I've owned in fact :smiley:

• Like 6