Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Birthday present for husband - advice on beginner telescopes to buy!

5 minutes ago, FLO said:

FWIW my favourite mod for a traditional non-motorised Sky-Watcher Dobsonian was to fit several large washers - cut from a plastic milk carton - around the central bolt to achieve silky smooth stiction.

Interesting! Is that to go on top of the Teflon washer that's provided, or instead of?

6 minutes ago, RobH2020 said:

Interesting! Is that to go on top of the Teflon washer that's provided, or instead of?

Mine was a manual solid-tube Skyliner 250p but I think the 200p model is essentially the same design. 

The plastic washer/discs are cut 3-4" wide (milk bottle cartons aren't large enough to make them wider) and slip over the central bolt, between the two round mdf panels. As you increase the number of washers you reach a point where they 'lift' the telescope slightly, taking some weight off the existing teflon tabs. It results in a nice smooth Azimuth action. It might not be worth doing the same for the smaller/lighter 8" model but it is an easy mod and won't cost you anything to experiment, assuming you already drink milk 😁

Steve

• Like 3

5 hours ago, johninderby said:

I would stay away from anything with an EQ2 mount. Minimum should be an EQ3. The EQ2 just won’t be very stable. Of course the EQ3 is more expensive but skimpimg on the mount is a false economy.

The 8” dob will show a lot more than the 130 and is so easy to use. Good reason that size is so often recommended. The Skywatcher dob is OK but if your budget will stretch to it the Bresser 8” dob has better build quality and is better equipped. You do get what you pay for.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bresser-telescopes/bresser-messier-8-dobsonian-telescope.html

or

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/bresser-messier-8--dobsonian-telescope-4716420.html#SID=1684

Ahhh damnit! Now you've got me thinking I should buy the Bresser! Haha...hadn't even considered it! I've not stumbled across it in any of the reviews I've been reading on various sites. I have a feeling my budget is going to keep going up! Lol. This is a great suggestion, thank you!

5 hours ago, banjaxed said:

I started my stargazing early last year with the Skywatcher 200P 8” dobsonian and have never regretted buying it as it is a very easy scope to use and with my platform trolley (home made) I can take it from the garage to my viewing spot and be sorted in about 2 minutes. My other 2 scopes are ok but my Dob is by far the easiest to use.

Thank you, very helpful to know!

4 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

I'd recommend you avoid equatorial mounts altogether.  They're more difficult to use and cost more for a given amount of stability.  It would be better to put the saving in cost into a bigger aperture scope.

A Dobsonian mount would be much more suitable for your husband.  The Skywatcher Dobsonian you linked to is good value for money, but like John I'd recommend you go for the slightly more expensive Bresser.  It comes with a highly regarded focusser plus the eyepiece is of good quality.  In particular the mounting is much better than all but the most expensive Dobsonians.  Comparing several Dobsonians in showrooms I also found the Bresser of a given size is more easily transported.  

Another vote for the Bresser, thank you! I'm seriously considering it now reading all these.

I am a huge fan of my 200p skywatcher and have enjoyed tinkering with it to improve its performance. I can appreciate the Bresser is mechanically the better scope, however I doubt it will outperform the 200p in a viewing capacity, I cant be certain as I have never used the Bresser but I would assume there is nothing between them visually. I guess you need to weigh up weather your husband would prefer the more expensive and refined bresser or the cheaper but just as rewarding 200p and have some change for better eye pieces ect...

Baz

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, FLO said:

Mine was a manual solid-tube Skyliner 250p but I think the 200p model is essentially the same design. 

The plastic washer/discs are cut 3-4" wide (milk bottle cartons aren't large enough to make them wider) and slip over the central bolt, between the two round mdf panels. As you increase the number of washers you reach a point where they 'lift' the telescope slightly, taking some weight off the existing teflon tabs. It results in a nice smooth Azimuth action. It might not be worth doing the same for the smaller/lighter 8" model but it is an easy mod and won't cost you anything to experiment, assuming you already drink milk 😁

Steve

I also use a 250p. I find the Az action pretty smooth as it is however the alt action is a bit stiff. I tried to play with the handles but I don't manage to get to the point where its just how I would like it to be. Do you ahve any advice?

28 minutes ago, AliP80 said:

Ahhh damnit! Now you've got me thinking I should buy the Bresser! Haha...hadn't even considered it! I've not stumbled across it in any of the reviews I've been reading on various sites. I have a feeling my budget is going to keep going up! Lol. This is a great suggestion, thank you!

A bit off topic, but it would be a nice improvement for visual use if the Bresser Dob had had a low profile focuser and decreased the size of the secondary as a result.  It could be a killer planetary scope in that configuration.  I'm guessing they put the focal plane way above the tube to allow for astrophotography.

Does anyone know the percentage obstruction by secondary diameter of the 8" and 10" versions?  It's not listed anywhere I could find.

• Like 1

Just though I would mention that the op mentioned the 200p as it is considered a  classic and the appeal of it being close to the budget cost of £200. For the modest outlay of £90 more I genuinely don't think there is a pound for pound better performing telescope?

Baz

• Like 1

Don't worry about the Bresser if the extra money is an issue, the 200p is excellent.

It certainly does not need modding or upgrading out of the box!

I actually don't get on with red dot finders provided with the Bresser and prefer a finderscope anyway.

And of the three mods I've done in the years since I've had my 200p, two aren't included in the Bresser!

Namely, a Right angle finderscope and a 1:10 focuser.

The other mod was to flock the 'scope and I can't honestly say that has made a huge difference, certainly not enough to make it a selling point of the Bresser over the 200p. ;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bingevader said:

Don't worry about the Bresser if the extra money is an issue, the 200p is excellent.

It certainly does not need modding or upgrading out of the box!

I actually don't get on with red dot finders provided with the Bresser and prefer a finderscope anyway.

And of the three mods I've done in the years since I've had my 200p, two aren't included in the Bresser!

Namely, a Right angle finderscope and a 1:10 focuser.

The other mod was to flock the 'scope and I can't honestly say that has made a huge difference, certainly not enough to make it a selling point of the Bresser over the 200p. ;)

There's an optional upgrade to the Bresser focusser to convert it to dual speed.  I gather it takes about 1 minute to fit.  Cost is 75 Euros so probably about £65 from UK suppliers, so a lot less than replacing the whole focusser.

Edited by Second Time Around

Comes with a straight through finder scope but I replaced it with a RACI

The 1/10 upgrade is indeed very easy to fit and the rack & pinion focuser is an excellent bit of kit. Far superior to any of the Skywatcher newt crayfords. 

F1BACF19-FFAD-4194-BDE3-CE377703CDD0.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

It's very Important that a first time telescope is not a disappointment. Unfortunately, that scenario
has cost many people the wonderful experience Observational astronomy can provide..
Most of the suggestions in the thread will certainly take you to that  exciting starting point.

I can only agree with the  8" f5/f6 Dobsonian unit, which is easy to assemble, transport, and enough light grasp to provide you with
some wonderful night sky targets.  Have a read about Collimation of the Newtonian Scope, there will come a time  you may need to make adjustments,
it is necessary to maintain correct alignment of the primary and secondary mirrors. It's an easy process to do though.

At a later time in the learning process, you might get the desire to go larger. Well, there is much to choose from,
but please seek advice again before committing to more expensive equipment. 
You might have a better grasp of what part of astronomy appeals the most,
so  it's imperative the right choice is made.

You will make a good choice from the descriptions given by the members in this thread, 
so enjoy the new experience awaiting you and yours, the night sky
will be revealed in a beautiful way to you.
Best Wishes.
Ron.

Edited by barkis
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

There's an optional upgrade to the Bresser focuser to convert it to dual speed.  I gather it takes about 1 minute to fit.  Cost is 75 Euros so probably about £65 from UK suppliers, so a lot less than replacing the whole focuser.

£65 on top of the 400. ;)

Mine was about that too, it's in my sig.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Comes with a straight through finder scope but I replaced it with a RACI

The 1/10 upgrade is indeed very easy to fit and the rack & pinion focuser is an excellent bit of kit. Far superior to any of the Skywatcher newt crayfords. 

The two links posted have the red dot finder, not a straight through.

I haven't used a rack and pinion, so I can't comment, but they must be totally amazing then as there's nothing wrong with my Crayford! :D

• Like 1

Yes I was thinking about the 10” Bresser. 

The R&P will handle more weight as the R&P drive is more positive.

I think as the Skywatcher has been around for ages most are familiar with it but with the Bresser being new not many have actually seen one in person and it’s not until you’ve had hands on experience with both that you can appreciate the differences. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Yes I was thinking about the 10” Bresser. 

The R&P will handle more weight as the R&P drive is more positive.

I think as the Skywatcher has been around for ages most are familiar with it but with the Bresser being new not many have actually seen one in person and it’s not until you’ve had hands on experience with both that you can appreciate the differences. 

John, no one is doubting that the Bresser has benefits, and if the OP has funds aplenty then fine, it is the better choice.

If however, doubling the original budget IS an issue then I think as a forum we are not being helpful. The 200P has been around for a long time, and is highly regarded for price/performance. I think overall a 200P with some upgraded eyepieces and finder for a starter scope is better than the whole budget going on the scope and nothing being left for extras which will improve the experience.

What I don't want to see is us putting people off, thinking that you have to spend much more than is the case.

That said, @AliP80 seems to have responded positively to the Bresser so perhaps all is well, I just would not like to see her being put off by the increased outlay which really isn't necessary to get started.

• Like 3

I see it as making an informed decision. Weigh up the costs vs benefits and then decide. Unfortunately it's so easy to spend more than you really need to.

Now the OP can have a think about it and decide what they want to spend. There certainly is nothing wrong with buying a 200P and keeping the costs to a minimum for now.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, johninderby said:

There certainly is nothing wrong with buying a 200P and keeping the costs to a minimum for now.

Exactly, it is about presenting options and leaving the OP to decide.

• Like 1

As I understand the bresser comes with a single 25mm eyepiece which I believe is reasonable quality.  Now for another £25 you can get a basic Barlow (maybe a better one 2nd hand) which will double that and if budget allows, get a 17mm plossl for another £20 and all bases will be covered for a good while. x48, x71, x97 & x143 gives as excellent range for a first scope and eyepiece.

I would say maybe leave the finder scope until the OP's husband has a play with the red dot finder and see if he gets on with it.

I think a lot of people start out with the idea of lets buy a telescope and think it will probably cost a couple of hundred quid. So not so much a budget as a guesstimate. 🤔

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1