Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ercole Giro

StarryEyed

8 hours ago, johninderby said:

The same basicly except they seem to have specced extra quality control. Mine doesn’t suffer from backlash problems. Also both ends are drilled for saddles not just the one end as on the Skytee. And they haven’t wasted monsy on rubbish saddles that need replacing anyway.

Stellarvue used to sell a version with saddles on both ends. 🤔

And no that isn’t the stock tripod but a modded EQ6.

06B644A6-DE07-488F-A251-17E5AB44260F.jpeg

Thanks John, an improved version of the Skytee 2 can’t be a bad thing. Also like the copper coloured ring with spirit level on your tripod, is that part of your mod?

17 hours ago, djpaul said:

I bought a sky tee 2 secondhand and sold it on within a week.

Too much backlash and didn't like the overall quality of it at all .

Bought my Skytee second hand as well and like you was unimpressed with the quality and backlash especially in the Alt side. After a few adjustments here and there it’s working really nicely now or as good as it’s going to get. 

• Like 3

On 19/09/2019 at 22:13, mike chadwick said:

Giro mini on a Meade giant tripod can duel mount a 120 frac and an Orion 8 inch reflector (but not a skywatcher way to heavy) at the same time very solid 

1BE09B93-3000-41CB-A857-6BEA225CF1E0.jpeg

A bit of a fan of Alt AZ over here too. AZ5, AZ GTI, full size Giro Ercole and a Giro mini as yours in the photo.

I use the mini almost exclusively/permanently on a carbon Manfrotto, counterbalanced with either an Equinox 80 or Skymax 127. I think the mini is nicely engineered, but was sure it had a rated load capacity of 4kg, less if not counterbalanced? I certainly wouldn't have dreamed of putting either of my Equinox 120 or Newt onboard, even on my heaviest tripod (but I have done so with the Big Ercole, and wouldn't do again). I can see from your photo you must have entire confidence in the head over the rated capacity.

I too look forward to the details of this mount. 

6 minutes ago, steveex2003 said:

I think the mini is nicely engineered, but was sure it had a rated load capacity of 4kg, less if not counterbalanced?

I'm sure that's correct, although I'm equally sure that when I bought mine the spec was much higher. Possibly just marketing changes to position it vs the larger mounts. It is certainly very capable and I know I've had much more than 4kg on mine! I did actually put an updated stainless steel shaft in my Giro-WR (which is similar to the Mini), along with the second clamp which adds to the weight but allows me to mount two decent sized scopes on it. Very compact but very capable.

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

I'm sure that's correct, although I'm equally sure that when I bought mine the spec was much higher. Possibly just marketing changes to position it vs the larger mounts. It is certainly very capable and I know I've had much more than 4kg on mine! I did actually put an updated stainless steel shaft in my Giro-WR (which is similar to the Mini), along with the second clamp which adds to the weight but allows me to mount two decent sized scopes on it. Very compact but very capable.

Yeah, without doubt it is so compact and neat. You could almost put in your pocket it's that small. I am fairly sure I have Lunt 60 and possibly a nice 100mm Frac in my future at some point. That you have successfully mounted heavier tubes just makes me more enthusiastic for this little mount. Frankly whilst I very much like the slow mo controls of the AZ5, despite it's higher rated capacity (8 or 9kgs on a decent tripod i believe) I really don't have the confidence in the build quality that i do of the GR Mini 2. 
Have also had a Skytee, but returned it as it is not of the quality of the big Ercole in my opinion. 

Edited by steveex2003

Giro mini on a Meade giant tripod can duel mount a 120 frac and an Orion 8 inch reflector (but not a skywatcher way to heavy) at the same time very solid picture of mount with both scopes attached total weight 13 kg I have observed with this set op and it works fine even at 5  kg over max load of 8 kg.

7BB0610B-FDD1-4D7D-8DE8-3911535C27A9.jpeg

• Like 2