SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ercole Giro

StarryEyed

10 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Blimey John, that ED150 makes the ED120 look tiny.

Speaks well of the Giro though.

150 F/8's are a lot larger than the ED120. The Giro Ercole was very much at it's limit with this lot on board to be honest. It's much, much happier with just the ED120 !

39 minutes ago, Alan White said:

How was it with just the ED150? 

The Ercole needed a lot of counterweighting (10 kg) on the other side to allow smooth motions. Due to the optical issues that I had with both the ED150's that I received I didn't do any serious observing so I've not used the Ercole "in anger" with that scope.

The Ercole copes with my 130 F/9.2 triplet (which is not far off the same length and weight as the ED150) quite well but the Skytee II is a bit more stable at high powers.

I've thought for some while that I probably need a mount with more capacity / capability than both the Skytee II and the Ercole for the 130 F/9.2 to give it's best but I've been wary of investing £1K plus in one thus far. I have hopes that this new alt-az that FLO are due to announce might be what I'm looking for :smiley:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John said:

I have hopes that this new alt-az that FLO are due to announce might be what I'm looking for :smiley:

Thank you John, I thought you would answer as you did.

As to the quote from your post above about the Carrot 🥕 Mount, I am trying to not get too excited, yet.

I am looking at my Astro future, driven by my now done in knees, so the mount is a central part of that future.

• Like 1

Sorry. I had forgotten a colleague is on holiday this week so I am a little behind. I will have made the photos and added them to our website before end of Thursday. 

We do however have some good news. @John has kindly agreed to spend some time using this new mount and provide feedback. Not as a reviewer, more a beta tester 🙂 

Steve 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, FLO said:

Sorry. I had forgotten a colleague is on holiday this week so I am a little behind. I will have made the photos and added them to our website before end of Thursday. 

We do however have some good news. @John has kindly agreed to spend some time using this new mount and provide feedback. Not as a reviewer, more a beta tester 🙂 

Steve 

We will let you off just this once 🤣

But what John really needs is another ED150 sat on it to test it fully Steve 😁

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alan White said:

We will let you off just this once 🤣

But what John really needs is another ED150 sat on it to test it fully Steve 😁

I do have a TMB/LZOS 130mm F/9.2 triplet Alan - it's very close to the same weight and length as the ED150 :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I am getting excited now.
Thursday tomorrow..............................

Are you making up a list of things you don’t really need that can be sold for when you buy the new mount. 😁

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1