Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ercole Giro

StarryEyed

18 minutes ago, djpaul said:

Anyone here care to share their thoughts on the Altair Sabre mk2ย ?

I used it. Very smooth and I had no issues focusing and observing at 150x with 127 Mak. What put me off is non-responsive Altair Astro when I inquired about encoders they were developing so I didn't go with it and am kind of still on the hunt for similar mount. I mean if you can't answer a simple question what about the support down the line? I don't want to bash anyone but that put me off of any AA products now and I love their scopes - Starwave 80ED-R was one of the best I owned - better star test than equivalent TS.

17 minutes ago, FLO said:

Hold that thought... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Steve

No, just no. Holding people hostage like this is not polite :D

Edited by heliumstar
  • Haha 1

I had an Altair Sabre Mk2 for a while. It was OK to use and looked good but I felt that both the Ercole and the Skytee II did a better job with my ED120 refractor in terms of both smoothness of motions and high magnification vibration dampening. I tried a 6 inch F/8 refractor on the Sabre and it was rather overwhelmed.

Very interested to hear what FLO might be thinking of :icon_biggrin:

2 minutes ago, FLO said:

Need to make some photos then willย reveal (in the sponsor section) a new premium Alt-Azย mount manufactured here in the U.K.ย ๐Ÿ™‚

Sometime early next week. ย 

Steve ย 

So will I have to sell just a scope and some bits to afford it or a kidney? ย ๐Ÿ˜

3 minutes ago, FLO said:

Need to make some photos then willย reveal (in the sponsor section) a new premium Alt-Azย mount manufactured here in the U.K.ย ๐Ÿ™‚

Steve ย 

Tell us more .... Approx Price?ย ๐Ÿ˜€

41 minutes ago, djpaul said:

Anyone here care to share their thoughts on the Altair Sabre mk2ย ?

Only had mine out twice so its difficult to say, at higher powers may be some vibration despite being a bit OTT on the tripod riser side of things. I need to learn how to use it now its starting to get darkย  up here.

And now Aunt Flo is going to tempt me with something else, hope it can use more than 2 bolts from the pm clamps unlike the sabre

IMGP4020.JPG

Edited by omo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Alan White said:

The Giro and the Skytee 2 use 2 bolts too, or am I not understandingย what you mean?

There are lots of hole combinations but only 2 match up with either an ADM or Primaluce saddle / clamps.ย  just like the idea of more support for the load

32 minutes ago, mike chadwick said:

Giro mini on a Meade giant tripod can duel mount a 120 fracย and an Orion 8 inch reflector (but not a skywatcher way to heavy)ย at the same time very solidย 

1BE09B93-3000-41CB-A857-6BEA225CF1E0.jpeg

The Mini Giros are amazingly capable if you stick them on a decent tripod with a pier extension. With two scopes on they seem to work even better because they are balanced.

1 hour ago, FLO said:

Need to make some photos then willย reveal in the sponsor sectionย aย new premium Alt-Azย mount manufactured here in the U.K.ย ๐Ÿ™‚

Steve ย 

Intriguing Steve. You are teasing us somewhat ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

Look forward to seeing it. Might there be a glut of Ercoles on the market soon I wonder?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

Have looked at the AZ8 and thought maybe someday but the TS-AZ5ย I have now works so well. Seems better set upย than the Skytee II and no problem with backlash.ย 

Just googled the TS AZ5 now as I wasnโ€™t ๐Ÿ’ฏ sure what it was, looks aย dead ringer of the Skytee 2 to me.ย Whatโ€™s the differences?ย 

• Like 1

I enjoy using the AZ4 with the small 76 but get a little nervous when mounting the 4". A few years back I bought this Skywatcher(?) mount (see below) from a fellow astronomer in Alicante. It's excellent for mounting the 76 and 60 Lunt for dual solar viewing and I've also been using it with the Vixen. So far so good, and a lot more sturdier than the AZ4. Nevertheless, I'm also very intrigued by what FLO has in store.ย 

Playing around with the two AZ mounts, I also think much stability comes from the tripod as well. For high power viewing for anything over f7, perhaps a decent 2" tripod is also necessary?

@jock1958Don't quote me on this but I don't think Skywatcher make the Skytee 2. As such, the TS mount and the Skytee 2 are probably from the same manufacturers with pretty much identical specs.

skywatcher_hdaz_01.jpg.ce5085169bf36d3b69ece52252521364.jpg

Edited by Rob Sellent
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

Just googled the TS AZ5 now as I wasnโ€™t ๐Ÿ’ฏ sure what it was, looks aย dead ringer of the Skytee 2 to me.ย Whatโ€™s the differences?ย 

The same basicly except they seem to have speccedย extra quality control.ย Mine doesnโ€™t suffer from backlash problems. Also both ends are drilled for saddles not just the one end as on the Skytee. And they havenโ€™t wasted monsy on rubbish saddles that need replacing anyway.

Stellarvue used to sell a version with saddles on both ends. ๐Ÿค”

And no that isnโ€™t the stock tripod but a modded EQ6.

06B644A6-DE07-488F-A251-17E5AB44260F.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Rob Sellent said:

I also think much stability comes from the tripod as well. For high power viewing for anything over f7, perhaps a decent 2" tripod is also necessary?

Totally right Rob. The tripod makes a huge difference and can make a good mount seem poor. As said, the Mini giro on a good tripod eg EQ6 feels like it can take pretty big loads very steadily.

• Like 1