Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How do you pass the time?

cjdawson

Hi guys.

I'm currently in the middle of an imaging session.  Got my fingers crossed that it completes and I'll be able to start processing my first LRGB image (currently capturing the G's and have the B's left to go)

I'm wondering what do you do to pass the time?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

..... I tend to go to bed and try to get a bit of shut-eye,  although sods law dictates that the first sub after you leave the scene will crash the sequence.

If there are meteors about, I will sit on the garden bench and 'chill'........

I drink, especially with all the Brexit chat - not so much that I won't be able to tear down properly, of course, being without an obsy - and watch TV, or listen to music or podcasts (Remainiacs, Brexitcast and Welcome to Night Vale, all as surreal as each other). I keep an eye on my sessions via VNC to my laptop running KStars/Ekos from phone or PC. If it's a superb night I'll sit out or take the camera out and try my hand at some widefield, of course.

I usually split my time between monitoring everything from the warm room in the obs while I catch up on email and web browsing, with retiring indoors to watch TV whilst monitoring the obs laptop via RDC. If it's a really clear night I'll spend some time scanning with my 15x70 binos, or even doing some naked eye obs to see how low magnitude I can see. Often wish I had a 2nd scope to do some visual obs....

I use live-stacking so part of the time is spent playing with the histogram, part of the time going and making my next cup of coffee, I sometimes get out the binos and have a bit of a "cruise", part of the time chatting to the occassional passer-by, showing them the image that has been constructed so far. This never ceases to amaze them when they look up at a blank piece of LP-d sky and say "that's there??". Don't know how I manage to fit it all in really :D.

Am I the only one who still looks through a telescope when the clouds are away???

I’m thinking of expanding my obsey plans to incorporate room for a small pier. Maybe I’m unusual in being a primarily visual guy who isn’t averse to capturing a few photons on the side. 

Paul

1 hour ago, Robny said:

If I'm imaging and everything is setup and running smoothly, I split my time between monitoring, viewing and modelling...

Tidy work. You are obviously a man/lady with an eye for the detail!

A new thread with some pictures of your hobby would be interesting.

Paul

27 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Tidy work. You are obviously a man/lady with an eye for the detail!

A new thread with some pictures of your hobby would be interesting.

Paul

Thanks....I might just do that  :)

I eat. Lots. Also watch movies on the laptop or answer emails or go on Facebook to see if anyone in Wales is imaging - usually if they are and they report cloud incoming I have another 90 minutes or so of clear skies.

Sometimes I set up a scope for visual and sometimes I get the DSLR out but often as not I'm quite tired so just sit back and watch a movie :) And eat!

James

On the other hand.... If you get really - really bored you could stick a long frac with crosshair eyepiece on your setup and exercise on some manual guiding. Best done with traditional flex cables, no electronic handcontroller.:hiding:

18 hours ago, Philip R said:

I pass my free time on an astronomy forum called Stargazers Lounge... ?

I think we all spend/waste too much time here but it's hard not to with the great community we have.

I would love to stop up all night and maybe an odd drink as well but for mid week there comes a time to leave the gear doing it's stuff, go to bed and hope all goes well as there is that thing called work to go to the next day.

In retirement that may well change of course ? 

Steve

I don't think I've added anything just lately.  Oh!  Well... I have bought some vegetable seeds for some home grown vegetables this year. 

Archived