Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 100 ED Pro Esprit - Great Performance

Selborne

Hi Guys,

I thought I would share with you my first hand experience of the Skywatcher ED100 Pro Esprit Telescope, I have only had it a few months, but so far I am extremely happy with the results, it is so sharp and the contrast is very high.

I live in a small town, Stowmarket, Suffolk, UK, where the light pollution is not to bad, but still I have to be cautious with the direction I choose to point the telescope.   All my astrophotography is done from the back garden on my patio.

I have had a few different telescopes over the years, but I always found myself moving more and more into astrophotography, so after some research I selected the Skywatcher ED100 Pro Esprit, as many of the other users had commented on the sharpness and contrast.  As I wanted to focus on more wide field astrophotography the F5.5 speed giving 550mm seemed the right choice, I also use an ED50 Skywatcher Guide Scope with an Altair Astro ASI130mm camera for the guiding and of course PHD2 software, all mounted on my Skywatcher HEQ6 mount.

Here is a shot of the Andromeda Galaxy, 20 x 30s stills at ISO 800 on my Sony A7Rii, no filters just RAW images processed with Photoshop, Stacked Mean option.  I used the Trevor Jones video on his BackyardAstro You Tube page for processing DSO's and it seems to work very well.  What you will see from the image is just how sharp it is, something that really surprised me when I processed the images.

This has inspired me to spend more time outside in the garden to photograph more objects, plus I have recently purchased an Astronomic CLS Filter for my Sony A7Rii, so I am looking forward to using this to see if it improve the contrast.  I will keep you informed.

Also I am looking forwarded to trying my Olympus EM1 MK2 camera, yes I know it does not have the capabilities of the Sony A7Rii for light gathering, but it does have a really clever mode where it can stack the images in camera to reduce noise, so I will also let you know how this went as well.

Best Regards

Jamie

Andromeda 14-07-18.jpg

• Like 25

Good stuff Jamie. It's always helpful to share experiences of equipment whether positive or negative. As Daz, I am a signed up life member of the Esprit 100 club, love it and look forward to putting it back on the mount very soon! Happy snapping and clear skies.

P.S. Good to see Trevor Jones and his AstroBackyard YouTube channel getting a mention on here - I too enjoy his entertaining and informative videos.

• Like 2

Very nice image and post. I was very close to getting one of these myself but then a William optics flt98 came up at a cheaper price and temptation got the best of me.

Although I'm extremely happy with my flt98,  still can't help but wonder which scope would come out on top in performance for astrophotography. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daz said:

Not seen any of those Trevor Jones vids, but will go browsing tonight

Be prepared for a Canadian youff you tuber experience, with hints of sponsor driven plugging, but he has a lovely sense of humour and is very passionate about the subject. I don’t think you’ll really learn anything from him, but it is good entertainment!

• Like 2

I had a chance to get out in the garden last evening, had a go at capturing NGC 7023 - Iris Nebula, only managed to get 12 good shots, 240sec x 12, combined in Photoshop with Mean Stacking.  The dew was super heavy and currently I do not have any dew heaters (next purchase) so lost the battle after around 2 hours. 

One interesting point is I captured these shots with the long exposure noise reduction switched on with the Sony A7Rii, so each shot took 8 mins to take and save, but as a result the noise levels were next to zero at 800 ISO, and at the end of the day the noise is always our enemy.

I am very happy with the final shot,

thanks

Jamie

NGC 7023 - IRIS NEBULA.jpg

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Nikolas74 said:

I just ordered one from FLO.....  

You will not be disappointed, it is very sharp.  Make sure you have a Bahtinov mask for focus, as it is critical with this scope, the 10:1 focuser does help.

lets see your results once you have the little beauty ? 

On 16/08/2018 at 16:14, daz said:

Not seen any of those Trevor Jones vids, but will go browsing tonight

I stated the name of Trevor Jones' You Tube page incorrectly, it is 'AstroBackYard', he takes a very light hearted view of the hobby and helps with the more basic things that we all having trouble with when first starting, plus the videos are quite entertaining with his dog Rudy ? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nikolas74 said:

Thanks Selborne !!!!!! i ordered the Bahtinov  as well....now i am trying to find something for auto focus.......

Do you have any ideas ???

Nikolas.

Sorry Nikolas, no recommendations for auto focus systems, something I do not use.   I focus between each set of frames with the bahtinov mask, lock the focus and shoot.  Once the scope is down to ambient temperature, it does not seem to change much.

Regards Jamie

Here is another shot to show just how sharp the Skywatcher 100 ED Pro Esprit Scope really is.  This is 3 x 30s Sony A7Rii Frames, stacked in Photoshop of the Hercules M13 Great Globular Cluster.  I think I have found my forever scope ? 

thanks

Jamie

THE GREAT GLOBULA CLUSTER - M13.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 100 and the 80 Esprits, both of them I simply love the quality and images.

The dew shield unscrews IIRC.

The standard focuser is good so order from Ian King a Lakeside Motor and controllers, dead easy to fit and works superbly.

I have the Moonlite on my 100 and the lakeside on the 80, both are now controlled by my Pegasus's control boxes which are brilliant.

If you notice your stars a little odd shaped then make sure your back focus is correct, @RayD helped me out tremendously to ensure that I got the correct back focus of 55mm which made an immense difference to my star shapes.

Yep I can't see my changing either of these scopes as they are just superb within my abilities.

Enjoy and good luck.

Edited by Jkulin
  • Like 1

On 16/08/2018 at 15:32, Selborne said:

Hi Guys,

I thought I would share with you my first hand experience of the Skywatcher ED100 Pro Esprit Telescope, I have only had it a few months, but so far I am extremely happy with the results, it is so sharp and the contrast is very high.

I live in a small town, Stowmarket, Suffolk, UK, where the light pollution is not to bad, but still I have to be cautious with the direction I choose to point the telescope.   All my astrophotography is done from the back garden on my patio.

I have had a few different telescopes over the years, but I always found myself moving more and more into astrophotography, so after some research I selected the Skywatcher ED100 Pro Esprit, as many of the other users had commented on the sharpness and contrast.  As I wanted to focus on more wide field astrophotography the F5.5 speed giving 550mm seemed the right choice, I also use an ED50 Skywatcher Guide Scope with an Altair Astro ASI130mm camera for the guiding and of course PHD2 software, all mounted on my Skywatcher HEQ6 mount.

Here is a shot of the Andromeda Galaxy, 20 x 30s stills at ISO 800 on my Sony A7Rii, no filters just RAW images processed with Photoshop, Stacked Mean option.  I used the Trevor Jones video on his BackyardAstro You Tube page for processing DSO's and it seems to work very well.  What you will see from the image is just how sharp it is, something that really surprised me when I processed the images.

This has inspired me to spend more time outside in the garden to photograph more objects, plus I have recently purchased an Astronomic CLS Filter for my Sony A7Rii, so I am looking forward to using this to see if it improve the contrast.  I will keep you informed.

Also I am looking forwarded to trying my Olympus EM1 MK2 camera, yes I know it does not have the capabilities of the Sony A7Rii for light gathering, but it does have a really clever mode where it can stack the images in camera to reduce noise, so I will also let you know how this went as well.

Best Regards

Jamie

Andromeda 14-07-18.jpg

Certainly an impressive review , Jamie . I am kicking myself . I bought a flex tube 250 Sky-Watcher dob only 10 days ago and I’m already regretting that I didn’t go for another refractor . Don’t get me wrong , the dob is great , but it’s huge and to be honest I was swayed by the large aperture. In reality I want to get into astrophotography and I should have bought either the model you have or even the 80 mm version . My wife’s gonna kill me when she knows i want to change lol. A great image too , of the Andromeda galaxy . 

Clear skies . 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nikolas74 said:

Anybody can confirm that the backfocus distance using the dedicated flatterer is 63mm or 55mm (i  am using as camera the Atik 383L) ?

I am a little confused..

If you are using the m48 adapter on the back of the flattener, then it's 55m. Without, it's 63mm.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, quick question. I've read previously that the 100 is the only Esprit size which doesn't have provision for mounting a 2" filter inside the adapter/FF. Is that correct?

and also, i can see that the size of the box that the newer Esprit 100 comes in is significantly smaller than the older version. Is that correct?

Older version Esprit Box:

oldesprit100-2.jpg.a465db5eea239581ccacb195b30634e1.jpg

Newer version Esprit Box:

1895513848_espstorage.jpg.2816db766c49baee6a6fc8e62a3b0928.jpg

Edited by souls33k3r
  • Like 1