Nobody is Going to Believe Me!

Hayduke27

March 12- 04:15.  I am at a nearby dark site. The skies are mostly clear with a few errant clouds about, but nothing to be a problem for me.  The moon is 17% illuminated, a waning crescent. Transparency and seeing are excellent (as I was about to learn).  I began with a 24mm EP giving me 84x magnification.

I began my viewing with two triplets in Leo, one surrounding M105, the other around M65.  Both were very clear, and I do love seeing multiple galaxies in the same EP. After some time giving the triplets their dues, I swung over into Virgo and had a look at Markarian's Chain.  This was my first clue that the skies were better than average.  The chain of galaxies was particularly clear, and I got lost just swinging all of the way through it, end to end.  After being lost in the chain for far longer than anticipated, I jumped around to some of the high points in the virgo galaxies including M87 (very bright), M88 (Could just see the core), M84 (medium bright but clear), M98, M100, and M58 (all very dim). I viewed M61 which was large, medium bright, and I could have sworn I was making out lanes in the disk.

While in the area, I specifially checked out NGC 4435, "The Eyes" (these are two galaxies within Markarian's Chain). These were new galaxies to me, and I could absolutely see how they got their name.  I had a staring contest with the eyes for a few minutes before continuing on.

Next was the M53 cluster, M64 "Black Eye Galaxy", NGC 4559, and NGC 4365. All of these I have seen before, and nothing was particularly noteworthy this evening. I next got first light on another object, NGC 4889- "The Coma Cluster".  I could just barely make it out, but with more time I know I could see more detail, and I made a note to return to this object on a later date.  Next, another first light.  I used the binos and looked at the Coma Star Cluster.  This cluster is way to big to fit in the FOV of my telescope, but with the binos is looked a lot like a really big M44 (The Beehive Cluster) to me.

Next up, M3.  I am pretty sure that I have visited this object before, but I had recently done some reading up on this globular cluster and wanted to revisit it.  It is made up of approximately 500,000 stars and is considered to be one of the finest globulars in the northern skies behind only M13.  Yet again, the transparency of the skies and great seeing conditions came into effect and I was absolutely mesmerized by the number of stars I could resolve.  I was in my viewing chair, and really just stopped and stared deeply into this one.  After a while, I had the most existential moment I've ever experienced in my astronomy.  Part of the reason I love viewing the universe is the vastness of it all, and the reminder that we are such a tiny piece of it.  None of this was new to me.  However, while peering into M3 and seeing so many of the half million stars that make it up, I really really felt tiny.  The thought of our sun just being one star, and here before my eyes were a half million more-- it's hard to describe what I was feeling, but it was a mixture of feeling insignificant and a tiny bit scared of the vastness of it all.  I had to get up from my seat and shake it off.  I sat back down and the anxious feeling returned as I looked back into the cluster.  It was like nothing I've experienced before.  I got up from my chair, thought happy thoughts, and used my binos to surf around the sky to some familiar objects while I reeled my mind back in from 33,900 light years away.  It was a very intense experience.  M3 and I will meet again.

How to follow this?  I began with Antares.  I have never spend much time viewing this star, though the name has been familiar to me.  At current time it is in a nice arc in the sky, lined up with Jupiter, Mars, and Saturn.  Antares is a bright orange carbon star, and it proved to be quite the attention grabber.  While in the southwest sky I went ahead and took a look at M4 and M22 as well.  M4 is a globular and was very bright, showing off a lot of stars. M22 is another globular that was showing as medium bright, another beautiful sight.  Next up, M8- the Lagoon Nebula.  This was my first Messier.  In the very early days of owning my telescope, I was out viewing with a friend.  It was early September, and to our south we could see a big grey smudge through the binoculars.  I looked in my Pocket Sky Atlas, and soon identified the object as M8.  I am not sure whether I turned the scope to it at that time.  Back to the present, the Lagoon Nebula is showing a very bright blue nebula next to a very beautiful cluster of stars.  The view was breathtaking, and this object has very quickly returned to my list of favorites.  I also panned over to the Eagle Nebula, but compared to M8 it wasn't grabbing my attention.

So here we are.  06:00 and already I've had a very satisfying session.  The fun was not over yet.  Not by a long shot.  Starting right at about 06:00 I knew that Io's shadow would be transiting Jupiter, and the Great Red Spot would be visible just below the shadow.  Having just recently experienced my first shadow transit on Jupiter, I was excited to be out with the timing to be able to see another.  I turned the scope up to the planet, and was greeted by a very clear Jupiter with 4 moons all visible around.  Time to change eyepieces.  I tried out my 11mm, giving me 185x magnification.  I refocused and the image could not have been clearer.  The shadow and GRS were clearer than I had ever seen them.  That can mean only one thing, time for more magnification.  I stepped it up to my 6.7mm, giving me 303x magnification.  I have not had a lot of success with this EP in the past, as I had mainly tried to use it on DSOs which were just too dim for this much magnification, or when I did use it on the planets the air just wasn't transparent enough to really make much out.  What a different experience I was having.  After another refocusing I was soon staring astounded at Jupiter, as clear as I'd ever seen it with details I had never seen before.  After some admiring, I decided to try for the 4.7mm EP.  I had never once had success with this eyepiece.  It gives me 432x magnification, and between objects being too dim or sky conditions not nearly good enough, I had never once looked through this EP and been satisfied with the view.  As I focused back in on Jupiter, I was greeted by a sight I never thought possible with my telescope.  The view of Jupiter I had was absolutely amazing.  I swear, it was like looking at the pictures I have seen from the imaging guys.  I could see the GRS, and could make out the gap between it and the belt nearest to it.  The shadow transiting was so black and obvious that you couldn't help but see it.  Not only could I clearly see the equatorial belts, but also the temperate belts and polar regions with direct vision.  I couldn't make out the little white swirls within the belts, but I could see everything short of that in astounding detail.  I was absolutely blown away, and suddenly I was sorry that I only had about an hour of viewing time left.

I have no idea how long I peered at Jupiter, but it now occurred to me that I had other planets to see, and with these conditions it was likely going to be good.  I immediately moved over to Saturn.  Wow...  Just wow.  The planetary sphere was not only totally clear, but I could make out the belts on the planet with direct vision.  The shadow of the planet on the rings was as clear as day, and the Cassini Gap was dead obvious.  I could also make out the color variances between the rings including the D ring!  As is common among amateur astronomers, Saturn was the object that really blew my mind and convinced me to get a scope.  At that time, I had only ever seen it as a tiny little spec of a planet that I could just make out the rings around-- still impressive.  Since then I had managed more magnification, but never did I ever think I would have a view as clear as this night.  It was imaging-clear.  Just amazing.  I also could clearly make out 4 moons, and could not remember having observed moons around Saturn before this morning.

Time to get another planet.  I turned the scope toward Mars.  I have only ever seen Mars as a red disk.  This night I could make out dark areas that reminded me of viewing a full moon.  While not quite as attention grabbing as the prior 2 planets, it was yet another very noteworthy bit of observing.  I look forward to this summer when views of Mars are supposed to be at their peak.

For the rest of the morning I jumped around between these three planets, taking in the views and just rolling in amazement and euphoria.  What a treat it all was.  As the sky began to light up, I decided to just leave the scope on Jupiter and see how long it took for the detail to fade.  The skies were blue before I lost the ability to make out the GRS, and reluctantly I told myself that the session had reached it's end.  I packed up my gear, and as I drove home the sunlight was just tickling the highest peaks over the valley.  What a morning.  This is one that is going to stick with me forever.  Since experiencing this, as I have tried to describe the experience to friends and family, I find myself at a loss for words.  This kind of experience is the reason I got into astronomy.  I have seen things that change the way I see and think about the entire universe.  What a morning!

Clear skies all!

Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 6.50.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 6.51.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 6.52.08 PM.png

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

You my friend, have become one with the universe that morning, and for whatever reason, it chose to reveal itself to you wholly, staggering it must have been!.

This seems a good way of putting it.  I am familiar with the humbling feeling of seeing just how small we are as I peer out into space.  My experience the other night, however, was more along the lines of exasperating and kind of frightening.  It really did have a deep effect on me.  It took me 20 minutes or so to sooth my nerves.  As I said, it has proven hard to explain but certainly was a very unique experience!

Wow, that sounds like it was one of those ‘once in a lifetime’, or hopefully ‘once every few years’ sessions where everything comes right. Amazing views you had, Jupiter when conditions are good is incredible to see, so much detail on view and in itself it is a mini solar system with its orbiting moons.

My record with Saturn is five moons in a 4” scope, so given helpful positioning of them when you are observing you should be able to equal or better that.

One question, you mention the ‘Eyes’ galaxies as being different from Markarian’s chain, but they are part of the chain, did you pick them up when scanning along it?

Anyway, great session and a really enjoyable report to read. Oh, and yes, I did believe you!! :) 

I don't usually read the observing section but so glad I read your page..the way you described THAT feeling is why we all do it..space is so varst.we are so insignificant,mearly a blip in time...just a shame that the skies aren't that transparent for us to share on most sessions..

I can sense the emotion in you as you wandered around the sky taking in all the wonders you drank in through your eyepieces. One can almost feel transported into another dimension as your mind wrestles with the enormity of what is filling the immense void out there. Your experience as you explained it, is worthy of being a must read for all, as an inspirational reason why Astronomy can be a huge boost for the Soul.     

Thanks for sharing that superb account of your experience Alex, and so eloquently written too.

Sounds like you had one of 'those' sessions that you never forget. Excellent, I've had a few myself.

One question - you said you looked at NGC 4889, which you call the 'Cone Cluster'. I don't use these new fancy made-up names for objects, but I looked online to find out what the 'Cone Cluster' might be and drew a blank. NGC 4889 is a repeat entry in the NGC for NGC 4884, an 11th magnitude galaxy in Coma.

I'm thinking perhaps a typo for 'Coma Cluster'? NGC 4884 is the brightest member of that group. There are ten or so bright(ish) galaxies down to about mag 14, and many others below that.

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Wow, that sounds like it was one of those ‘once in a lifetime’, or hopefully ‘once every few years’ sessions where everything comes right. Amazing views you had, Jupiter when conditions are good is incredible to see, so much detail on view and in itself it is a mini solar system with its orbiting moons.

My record with Saturn is five moons in a 4” scope, so given helpful positioning of them when you are observing you should be able to equal or better that.

One question, you mention the ‘Eyes’ galaxies as being different from Markarian’s chain, but they are part of the chain, did you pick them up when scanning along it?

Anyway, great session and a really enjoyable report to read. Oh, and yes, I did believe you!! :) 

I see that I did make it sounds like they were separate from Markarian's Chain.  Indeed, "The Eyes" that I refer to are part of the chain.  A cool couple of galaxies!

15 minutes ago, DeepSkyBagger said:

Sounds like you had one of 'those' sessions that you never forget. Excellent, I've had a few myself.

One question - you said you looked at NGC 4889, which you call the 'Cone Cluster'. I don't use these new fancy made-up names for objects, but I looked online to find out what the 'Cone Cluster' might be and drew a blank. NGC 4889 is a repeat entry in the NGC for NGC 4884, an 11th magnitude galaxy in Coma.

I'm thinking perhaps a typo for 'Coma Cluster'? NGC 4884 is the brightest member of that group. There are ten or so bright(ish) galaxies down to about mag 14, and many others below that.

Yes indeed, this was a typo!  I have gone back and edited it.  I was most certainly looking at the Coma Cluster!

An excellent report, great to read, thanks Alex. We had a surprisingly clear sky here in my part of the East UK last night, something I hadn't realised until I was heading to bed around midnight. Really I should probably have opened the obs to use the C14, but instead elected to see what I could find with my hand held cheapo 15x70 binos. Observations all done from indoors looking out of a couple of bedroom windows facing ESE and WNW - it turned out to be quite an enjoyable session. I found M65 and M66, but not sure that I could convince myself about the hamberger NGC 3628. I tried unsuccessfully for the other Leo triplet, but that was probably more about the awkwardness of leaning sideways out of the window to look south with no support for the binos. Next I found M104 'Sombrero', the first time I've seen that in the binos. I ticked off a few globular clusters, M3, M53 & M5, but couldn't get M13 and M92 due to roofline and M10, M12 and M68 all too low in the murk. I did have a look a Jupiter which was just rising, though again in the murk so only the planet's disk, no moons. Headed to my west facing bedroom to observe the 3 bright open clusters in Auriga M36, M37, M38 and then the double cluster in Perseus. Was an enjoyable 30-40 mins before heading to bed, still wondering if I should be out in the obs....

Cheers, Geof

" I just Don't believe It "  ? 

Sorry I could not resist that

A prime example to showing seeing conditions can be everything in this hobby. You can have the best kit going, but without the atmosphere playing ball . Then it can leave a obs session very under whelming.

But when seeing conditions are all in alignment. Then it can just be a woow moment. And literally be a feast to your eyes and be a magical out of this world moment , never to be forgotten.

I made it out for another go on the morning of the 17th, and the seeing was average at best.  Though the skies were clear, it was windy and I was unable to make out much detail on any of the planets.  It was amazing the difference there can be in seeing on different mornings, even when the skies are clear.  It almost makes the whole thing seem like a dream.  I feel really lucky I made it out for such an amazing session!

Archived