Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any tips for planning sessions?

Hi,

After using my scope for about 3 sessions so far and enjoying it a lot. I’ve realised that I need to plan out my session before hand as when I go out I get a bit stuck on what to look for and also what are the best targets at the time when I observe. I was hoping any of you could give me any advice on preparing a session before going out. I’ve decided to give up on the idea of using my tablet while im at the scope as I’m not sure how acurate it is and it also ruins my night vision ( even when using night vision mode) . I’ve decided to just stick to the simple things such as using the sky and telescope pocket atlas.

looking forward to your suggestions 

many thanks 

I use a simple cheap notebook with a list of targets down one  side and space for my notes on the other. I have tried using Sky Safari ‘in the field’ but it doesn’t suit me except for controlling  the scope. I use it beforehand to see what’s going to be visible and prepare a manual list from that. 

1 hour ago, Dinoco said:

I’ve decided to just stick to the simple things such as using the sky and telescope pocket atlas.

....yes, good idea, but first take a look at Stellarium (or similar) to see exactly what's in your sky at the time you plan on being out.  Then you'll know which parts on the Atlas to concentrate on.

The Atlas will give you lots of ideas as to what's on show, but other ideas (of good or easy) targets can be found in any number of books/guides like the following:

(Hope this helps, Doug.)

P1060148.JPG

P1060149.JPG

Hi Olli,

I use Stellarium on my iphone to plan my session. With that app you can move time forward or back and are in a position to be able to plan in advance what targets will be where at what time. That way you know what you intend to look at and at what time.

It’s also very handy so you can plan avoiding obstructions like buildings or trees etc which could be in the way of the target you intend viewing.

I also use that app to take note of new targets I haven’t attempted to view before, and can then go back at another time to view.

This time of year you definately will want to target the Orion Nebula before it passes by until next year (southwards after dark approx 7pm). Jupiter is now coming up earlier in the morning eastwards 1:45am ish, Mars Saturn 4/4:30am ish.

Also you should sign up for daily emails from a few websites like http://earthsky.org/

They'll start mentioning new stars and objects youve not heard about. Take note of them and add them to your list of things to view.

Happy viewing!

Paul

46 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

Take a look at https://dso-browser.com/

This website seems really helpful thanks for the link

1 hour ago, kerrylewis said:

I use a simple cheap notebook with a list of targets down one  side and space for my notes on the other. I have tried using Sky Safari ‘in the field’ but it doesn’t suit me except for controlling  the scope. I use it beforehand to see what’s going to be visible and prepare a manual list from that. 

Notepad seems like a good idea have a few lying around so will use one next session.

4 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

....yes, good idea, but first take a look at Stellarium (or similar) to see exactly what's in your sky at the time you plan on being out.  Then you'll know which parts on the Atlas to concentrate.

The Atlas will give you lots of ideas as to what's on show, but other ideas (of good or easy) targets can be found in any number of books/guides like the following:

(Hope this helps, Doug.)

P1060148.JPG

P1060149.JPG

Thanks Doug, I have Turn left at Orion but I’ll have a check at the other books I was using  stellarium and sky safari while observing as I said but think I’ll try and use it for planning. Many thanks.

I check stellarium at the time I think I'll be out and also use the ocular feature to help me with star hopping. Sometimes I'll even draw overlapping circles in a notebook to remind me. Usually I tend to research one or two things well, a couple half-heartedly and remind myself of a few old favourites. If all else fails I'll stare at the Orion Nebula.

I use this tool to create a handy list of targets in a nice to read (and archive as pdf) format... Also, I use Stellarium to help find the targets and daydream when the sky is cloudy...

You just need to enter pertinent information like your observation site coordinates, fov and FL of your gear, the type of object you want to see, you can even specify which constellation(s) you want to focus on and the software generates a document with all the coordinates and best moment to observe each of the object that matches your criteria and a sky chart.

See a quick exemple I just generated in the pdf attached.

soiree-pdf.pdf

The website is in french but you can install in english. Quick note if you decide to test the english install : after installing there is a message saying that it is missing the english translation file but you just need to rename [astrogenerator_en.qtm] to [qt_en.qm] in Program Files (x86)\AstroGenerator\translations\

Unfortunatly the english version has some typos but overall I like the format and I usually keep the generated sessions in a binder to archive all my activity and notes taken during the session.

There is also a web version (english/spanish/french) that looks a bit better and you can still save as pdf:

I prefer the local installation but to each is own ;)

Pick a constellation that is in prime position then research all the objects you will be able to see including double and multi star systems very rewarding.

Write them down like kerry said then make quick notes use a soft pencil in case of dew pen will tear the paper.

Get yourself a big diary then write it all in after your session you can always go back to it then if you get a different scope or different eyepieces to compare with or see objects you missed. 

18 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Pick a constellation that is in prime position then research all the objects you will be able to see including double and multi star systems very rewarding.

Write them down like kerry said then make quick notes use a soft pencil in case of dew pen will tear the paper.

Get yourself a big diary then write it all in after your session you can always go back to it then if you get a different scope or different eyepieces to compare with or see objects you missed. 

Thank you for the advice. I think I need to invest in a diary would be nice to write down what I’ve seen.  Good tips about the constellations and using soft pencil thanks.

Two books to start that will be perfect are these...forget turn left at Orion..I think it's rubbish...

image.thumb.jpeg.068c467d7014ac6da9ff4c20a7007cb9.jpeg

This is the best book by miles to begin with. 

The next you have S&T pocket atlas...it's fantastic and cheap enough to deface, I add notes on sticky paper to help prepare for a session like so

image.jpeg

If I stay at home only the zenith is available because of the trees so I start from there and look at what's available in the constellations using Stellarium.  Then I pick a sector to look at and containing at least 1 or more DSOs (usually for sketching) That's for home observation. Then I look around the DSO and find many new things in real time outside using with the atlas.. like a double star, a carbon star or another DSO.

If I can drive to a better sky again, Stellarium is used to locate hard to see DSOs then the organisation will be around these difficult or rare targets, trying to pick new things, new constellation especially nebulae and galaxies.  Once you have a few original targets and constellation spots to look at.. then you look at them slowly (;

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to try and have a list of only 3 or 4 objects to look at, concentrate on two of them and use the other two as a back up. Definitely spend time looking at each one and note what they look like. 

Personally I tend to record what I've seen in a note pad as opposed to using a diary, clouds tend to cause too many wasted pages for me......

On 16/03/2018 at 10:04, Vox45 said:

I use this tool to create a handy list of targets in a nice to read (and archive as pdf) format... Also, I use Stellarium to help find the targets and daydream when the sky is cloudy...

You just need to enter pertinent information like your observation site coordinates, fov and FL of your gear, the type of object you want to see, you can even specify which constellation(s) you want to focus on and the software generates a document with all the coordinates and best moment to observe each of the object that matches your criteria and a sky chart.

See a quick exemple I just generated in the pdf attached.

soiree-pdf.pdf

The website is in french but you can install in english. Quick note if you decide to test the english install : after installing there is a message saying that it is missing the english translation file but you just need to rename [astrogenerator_en.qtm] to [qt_en.qm] in Program Files (x86)\AstroGenerator\translations\

Unfortunatly the english version has some typos but overall I like the format and I usually keep the generated sessions in a binder to archive all my activity and notes taken during the session.

There is also a web version (english/spanish/french) that looks a bit better and you can still save as pdf:

I prefer the local installation but to each is own ;)

Thanks for this, just had a play with it and it seems like a very useful tool for me as a beginner :)

+1 for turn left at Orion. And stellarium! I usually pick 3 new targets and count it as a success if I find one. I always write field notes and do a quick sketch - really really useful as a logging exercise and for future reference. Always finish with something you know, it’s best to finish on a high!! 

• 1 month later...

Use an atlas, choose a small area & see if you can discover everything the atlas shows. Try different magnifications & filters. 

If there are things you notice not there, make a note & look up more detail later. 

Going through objects just to tick off a list as seen is trainspotting. 

Archived