NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The magnificent dusty Great Nebula in Orion - 4 panel mosaic LHaRGB

Barry-Wilson

This project has been another long-held ambition for me and has been a labour of love over the past few weeks for Steve and I on our shared rig in Spain.  We alternate over three weeks the duties of controlling and operating the rig and the capture programme and have both shared the joy and frustration of the winter weather - yes even in Spain as I'm sure Sara can vouchsafe.  I've been intrigued by NGC1999 and its 'keyhole' along with the faint blue reflection nebula that surround the main attractions or M42, 43 and the Running Man and am delighted to have stitched together this four panel mosaic to show their relative positions.

Processing has taken as long as the total integration, circa 40 hours, and I can foresee us adding to this data next year.  There is a tiny amount of data to capture to help the mosaic in a couple of places and we hope to be able to do this when the weather clears and at the next New Moon.

Each panel has 13 x 1200s Ha; 12 x 300s + 15 x 180s + 30 x 30s Lum; 12 x 300s of RGB each.  A total integration of 37.3 hrs.  Tak 106, 10 Micron GM1000HPS, QSI683wsg-8, Astrodon filters, SGP for capture and PI for processing, e-Eye, Spain.

Data capture: Steve Milne & Barry Wilson

Processing: Barry Wilson

Hope you enjoy.

Barry

LHaRGB_Blend_ExpTr.thumb.jpg.8d45a27aa2dde5a45ad92cefaa45a2f3.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yes, a very easy click of the Like button for this one! What I particularly like is the shelf of dust to the left of the Running Man. I’ve seen plenty of pics of this area of sky, but have never really noticed that before. My only complaint is that, for me, the image needs to be rotated 90° clockwise. I struggle to accept this orientation!! Great work Steve & Barry, yet again!

Wow Barry! An oft-imaged target, but never quite like this. Truly magnificent. Depth and detail all over. Somehow I think capturing 37.3 hours would have been quite a challenge from Devon! It's great to see the investment in Spain paying off so handsomely. Another one for my to-do list next year!

16 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

This image certainly has something to say about an old friend!

Olly

Thank you Olly.

18 hours ago, tomato said:

Just awesome! 

Nearly 40 hrs of image capture and 40 hours processing time, if ever there was an image that illustrates that in AP, you get out what you put in, this must be it.

It is only 9.3hrs per panel - so if you frame a section with your own FOV, the depth is certainly achievable from the UK if you have an OK Orion window.

16 hours ago, Paul M said:

Very nice indeed. I clicked into the full size image which opens up a whole new dimension!

Thanks Paul.  Yes, I'd encourage everyone to view it at full resolution as I've uploaded the full jpeg file at 16MB.

The dust capture is absolutely beautiful as is the Running Man - beautifully done. For me, the cores of M42 and M43 are perhaps a little too bright for my taste but in mitigation, the overall balance of the image is lovely. Well done, guys.

51 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Loving the dust..do you get that from the ha data.. beautiful image

I'll be interested in Barry's feelings on this. I've been intrigued in my own imaging of this region by the relationship between the LRGB and Ha signal. I think they are closely related but not quite the same. I'm not sure why dust and Ha should follow each other as closely as they seem to here.

Olly

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

I'll be interested in Barry's feelings on this. I've been intrigued in my own imaging of this region by the relationship between the LRGB and Ha signal. I think they are closely related but not quite the same. I'm not sure why dust and Ha should follow each other as closely as they seem to here.

Olly

An interesting question.  They are certainly closely spatially related and I guess the molecular dust must also contain dispersed Ha component (I have not looked this up, so I am speculating on the astrophysics and chemical composition of the surrounding nebulosity).

Below I have pasted a screenshot of the non-linear Lum (on the left) and Ha (on the right) prior to any combination in the RGB and you can see the matching structural patterns.  Ignore the central regions in the Ha image, this was repaired in the LHaRGB by using the RGB and Lum.

image.thumb.png.fc198a6411188695092c14f817297bf1.png

After combining there are denser brown dusty regions and more red-tinged Ha (dominant?) nebula.  I emphasised this more in my second revised image I posted up; I did this by adjusting the relative positions of each channel in the histogram, ie a tiny adjustment of the red channel.

Archived