NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

4 hours ago, Stephenstargazer said:

And a nice foil sticker, takes ages planning where to put that! So true about the weight and they still feel solidly constructed. Thin wall (drawn?) tube and very accurate castings.🤓

I've bought five new Takahashi scopes over the last 20 years, and so far, only the most recent (FOA-60, May 2019) came with a sticker. I hope this is a new development or else I've been getting gypped all along! 

And I haven't decided just where to stick it, yet (actually, I'd quite forgotten about it, till now).

161349324_IMGP3064-Copy.JPG.8ebc7bc399880ae1a650bd712f59d331.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, HollyHound said:

I can’t believe how lightweight this is for a 100 APO scope 😮

E7A8739B-AB48-4820-B083-3AE8242E37FC.jpeg

FED823F6-0FC8-409D-A5AF-1948F8CEF5D6.jpeg

The reason why I, too, chose this model for my 4-inch class refractor.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, iapa said:

Can we include items purchased and delivered some time ago? I’ve packages from last year still unopened.

Two questions:

1. What is/are the item(s) ? I'm now dying to know

2. How did you manage to not open the package immediately? I'm impressed with your willpower. I am impatient from the moment I click 'buy'! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our Postie caught me napping this morning, expected this pair of Minimax with optional cushions to take longer. Direct from original designer and manufacturer in Israel, post free to UK and no VAT collected this end.

www.minimaxstool.com   (yes they do cost more than Chinese copies, so I hope they never let me down abruptly 😕)

IMG_20210427_120854.jpg

Edited by Stephenstargazer
back to PC to add photos, tablet too slow.
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, badhex said:

Two questions:

1. What is/are the item(s) ? I'm now dying to know

2. How did you manage to not open the package immediately? I'm impressed with your willpower. I am impatient from the moment I click 'buy'! 😂

1. RASA 8 - open, drool, close

2. I suppose, really, I mean received and still unused.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dean Hale said:

Wish i'd bought a cushion. Not that comfy without.

No chance yet to do a full review under starlight, but I can confirm that the cushions are a softer option with distinct posterior advantages 😀. Minimax appear to offer the cushion only with a stool, might be some copies ?? and they do a table top as well !

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, badhex said:

Agreed! I am thankfully yet to fall down the black hole that is AP but even I would be drooling.

Advice re AP?

Don;t, your finances collapse faster than a neutron star.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Not delivered by postie but collected myself, and after spending a bit of time at my workplace it's finally here at home.

Battered old Skywatcher 300p newt!

Requires 32kg of counterweight 😳

Looking forward to doing some hi-res lunar imaging, and planetary when that time comes.

20210427_174629.jpg

• Like 11

Not one, but (following a fit of late-night rationalisation) two telescopes.

• OOUK 6" Newt, packaged with some lovely used Christmas wrapping – reduce, reuse, recycle, folks .............

First thoughts: surprisingly good build quality, and "made in UK" – you don't see that much any more. I even like the little Orion Optics sticker

• 115mm TS Optics Photoline apo triplet

First thoughts: I bought this one in person so I'd already seen it, but taking possession is still a thrill. I have somewhat ambitiously mounted it on my AZ3 – because the real problem I'm finding right now isn't laying my hands on a scope, but on a decent mount! And I still have naught for the Newt.

Very excited about pointing the triplet at the pink supermoon tonight

20210427_135841.jpg

20210427_134151.jpg

20210427_133545.jpg

20210427_134106.jpg

Edited by Basementboy
  • Like 13

50 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Battered old Skywatcher 300p newt!

Wonderful! When I was first getting into astronomy proper, the first cluster I saw was M13 through a 300p - at about 300x - I will never forget that sight! 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Basementboy said:

Not one, but (following a fit of late-night rationalisation) two telescopes.

• OOUK 6" Newt, packaged with some lovely used Christmas wrapping – reduce, reuse, recycle, folks .............

First thoughts: surprisingly good build quality, and "made in UK" – you don't see that much any more. I even like the little Orion Optics sticker

• 115mm TS Optics Photoline apo triplet

First thoughts: I bought this one in person so I'd already seen it, but taking possession is still a thrill. I have somewhat ambitiously mounted it on my AZ3 – because the real problem I'm finding right now isn't laying my hands on a scope, but on a decent mount! And I still have naught for the Newt.

Very excited about pointing the triplet at the pink supermoon tonight

20210427_135841.jpg

20210427_134151.jpg

20210427_134106.jpg

20210427_133545.jpg

Nice ... well done . :) 

• Like 1

This is beyond exciting, even though i ordered it in December and it’s just arrived. The problem is, “it” is in Ireland in lovely 21.8 skies. And I am in Middlesex with 19.15 skies for at least a few months.

6B0CF2D3-79D0-46B0-B609-10264983865E.jpeg

… “it” being a Klaus Helmerich carbon tube for my OO 300mm mirror, currently temporarily residing in my much-perforated old steel Skywatcher blue tube. It will save me many kg and more importantly will be STIFF and remain collimated when I stack Paracorr and big eyepieces into the focuser

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1