NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Today I received a Tripod Mount Collar Ring for a Canon camera lens, but purchased it for actual use on my Telementor refractor, as an auxiliary finder mount.

For years I have been trying to acquire a Zeiss Finder and have had no luck, saw this on another Astro site and ordered one. The colour and paint finish closely matched my optical tube, and the clamping band does not block the peep sight finder.  The nominal internal ring diameter is 80mm, so should work for optical tubes of this size. The ring fits snug on our T-1 Model and slightly loose on the T-2 Model, but that's easily remedied by using a thicker piece of felt.

This would be a useful accessory for Telementor / Telemator owners who don't have an optical finder and would like to adapt one to their scope.  Its economically priced and nicely made.

If anyone is interested, the Ebay details for the one I purchased are...……… " Tripod Mount Collar Ring for Canon C (WII), EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM "

PICT0006.JPG

PICT0004 (1).JPG

PICT0003 (1).JPG

Edited by L8-Nite
Add Photos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, L8-Nite said:

Today I received a Tripod Mount Collar Ring for a Canon camera lens, but purchased it for actual use on my Telementor refractor, as an auxiliary finder mount.

For years I have been trying to acquire a Zeiss Finder and have had no luck, saw this on another Astro site and ordered one. The colour and paint finish closely matched my optical tube, and the clamping band does not block the peep sight finder.  The nominal internal ring diameter is 80mm, so should work for optical tubes of this size. The ring fits snug on our T-1 Model and slightly loose on the T-2 Model, but that's easily remedied by using a thicker piece of felt.

This would be a useful accessory for Telementor / Telemator owners who don't have an optical finder and would like to adapt one to their scope.  Its economically priced and nicely made.

If anyone is interested, the Ebay details for the one I purchased are...……… " Tripod Mount Collar Ring for Canon C (WII), EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM "

PICT0006.JPG

PICT0004 (1).JPG

PICT0003 (1).JPG

Hmmm ... ASI1600MM-pro is 78mm diameter.... how big is the gap when clamped up tight?

Edited by Stub Mandrel

Last Friday the postman delivered my first ever scope, on Monday he delivered an eyepiece accessory pack with lens, 2x barlow and filters. On Tuesday he was good enough to deliver tube rings, a dovetail bar and later that day a solar imaging camera. During today's trudge down the driveway he dropped off a laser collimator and vibration suppression pads and I was somewhat disappointed to find he had not brought news of the light pollution filter. He had better bring that tomorrow - together with the dew shield, focal reducer and scope AC adapter. Unfortunately the flight case to keep all the bits in is on back order - maybe Friday!

What have i done? Perhaps I should prioritise researching divorce lawyers before Registax settings!

3 hours ago, L8-Nite said:

PICT0006.JPG

PICT0004 (1).JPG

PICT0003 (1).JPG

That looks an interesting piece of kit. I’ve just bought some 80mm rings for mine which do still block the gun sight slightly, but I can mount a finder shoe on top though which will be useful.

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Hmmm ... ASI1600MM-pro is 78mm diameter.... how big is the gap when clamped up tight?

About 1mm on my Telementor-2 optical tube. The aluminium clamp and base is nicely made.

34 minutes ago, Stu said:

That looks an interesting piece of kit. I’ve just bought some 80mm rings for mine which do still block the gun sight slightly, but I can mount a finder shoe on top though which will be useful.

I noticed variations offered by vendors. There were one piece designs where the shoe was cast integral with the ring, and two piece designs where the shoe was screwed to the ring. I chose the two piece design as the shoe can be reversed to allow the clamp screw to be mounted either side if desired. The two piece design I chose also had a through hole in the shoe, so a captive screw could be used for attachment, whereas the one piece design, based on the vendor's photos, looked to have a shallow blind hole in the shoe for attachment; features worth considering.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Watched it the other night and thought is was pretty good. 👍🏻

Disney (JJ Abrams) have not done a bad job of the last two movies. 

Looking forward to this final installment.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Hi Stu, yes I believe so- it says Telementor 2 on the box. I bought it unseen and am umming  and ahhing whether to keep or return it as it has a few issues. It’s obviously been stored in a loft for decades and all the optics had crusted on dust- it cleaned off fairly ok but there’s a few specs in the coatings of the objective. Hoping for a gap in the clouds tonight to give it first light before deciding. But it is a gorgeous thing and I totally get now why some become Telementalists having actually seen and held  one in the flesh 😉

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, markse68 said:

My first refractor arrived!

C61669D9-2600-4488-8CF7-4C2C811AB23E.jpeg

Nice acquisition !  :thumbsup: Looks to be in good shape. Those of us who have Telementors consider them lifetime keepers, It just doesn't get any better for a 60mm class scope. The build quality is superb as I'm sure you've found out, and the Mount serves double duty equally well in equatorial or Alt-Az configuration. What eyepieces did you receive with the scope ?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, John said:

My delivery was actually yesterday but I thought a picture of it fitted was more interesting than the box !

Berlebach "spreader stopper" for my Uni 28 tripod:

P1090617.JPG.71bff05a8a807ffebd7ea83c9d558074.JPG

Funny how the spread stoppers used to be silver. Not sure if I prefer silver or black. 🤔

8BB9A299-43AF-4FBB-9FAE-D94F9002C005.jpeg

Hi L8, yes I’m already besotted with it- it’s the sort of vintage quality and design  that’s right up my street. It came with the standard 6 and 16mm orthos and the 25mm Huygens. They too were crusted in dust but seem to have cleaned up ok though they’re not in the best condition cosmetically with some corrosion of the mazac  body parts and loss of paint. Glass seems pretty clear though 👍

Edited by markse68
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, markse68 said:

Hi L8, yes I’m already besotted with it- it’s the sort of vintage quality and design  that’s right up my street. It came with the standard 6 and 16mm orthos and the 25mm Huygens. They too were crusted in dust but seem to have cleaned up ok though they’re not in the best condition cosmetically with some corrosion of the mazac  body parts and loss of paint. Glass seems pretty clear though 👍

The optics are what counts. Early days yet, but as you search for Telementor accessories, consider looking for a 10mm Ortho for your set. I've found the 10mm to be my most used eyepiece.

• Thanks 1