Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Yet another refractor!

Don't laugh- it’s actually quite good quality 😂 All metal construction and a nice sharp field stop and no bad CA looking out the window. Could do with optics cleaning. I really need to ban myself from ebay...it was a bargain! 🤦‍♂️

4D59B71A-71CD-4C3F-9BF4-F47A41532C61.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

was tempted with one of those too Mark but somehow managed to resist :D 

You’re a wiser man than me Dave 😉 It’s actually cute and well made for a toy- I’m not disappointed 😂

1 hour ago, markse68 said:

Yet another refractor!

Don't laugh- it’s actually quite good quality 😂 All metal construction and a nice sharp field stop and no bad CA looking out the window. Could do with optics cleaning. I really need to ban myself from ebay...it was a bargain! 🤦‍♂️

4D59B71A-71CD-4C3F-9BF4-F47A41532C61.jpeg

I'd put it down to cabin fever, what's the limiting magnitude, lol.

5 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I'd put it down to cabin fever, what's the limiting magnitude, lol.

I can’t blame it on sunstroke can I. I’d estimate the limiting magnitude at about the same as  half a pair of small binoculars- probably close to opera glasses 😁

Cheapo drinks cooler from ebay, basically a Peltier with heatsink & fan in a case running from USB.

The plate is the size of the base of a drinks can.

Intention is to use it to...… well you know what I am aiming to do 🤪

s-l1600.jpg

Had it running for 5 mins in shed with glass thermometer precariously balanced on it, dropped from 20c down to 8c already, impressed.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

having said that I spotted this later that night

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audubon-8-5-X-44-Binoculars-Spares-Or-Repairs/124183902345?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

and dammit I wasn't able to resist, will see how fixable they are when they get here :) 

• Like 1

Another Sky-Watcher; (or clone); aluminium EQ3/2 tripod via AstroBoot for my Giro and AYO mounts.
The new one is on the left shown with the AYO alt-az mount and Astro Essentials mini Vixen dovetail clamp.

IMG_0579.thumb.JPG.d06ac34eeca677554750368c166a508c.JPG<--- War of the Worlds tripods and alt-az mounts. 

Edited by Philip R
added photo/image.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

having said that I spotted this later that night

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audubon-8-5-X-44-Binoculars-Spares-Or-Repairs/124183902345?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

and dammit I wasn't able to resist, will see how fixable they are when they get here :) 

Blimey Dave- you love a project! 😂 Just looked them up though and they’re highly rated- if they are fixeruppable a lot more useful than my folly 😉

1 hour ago, markse68 said:

Blimey Dave- you love a project! 😂 Just looked them up though and they’re highly rated- if they are fixeruppable a lot more useful than my folly 😉

lol well we'll see. Funny tho I nabbed a pair of audubon mk-II's (804 type3a I think they are) just the other week for a real bargain price too and after stripdown and clean of the optics are a lovely pair to use, just needs the focuser action cleaned up and paint touching over. This HR/5 looks to be a narrow body 804 type4b1, could be a broken eyepiece cylinder or in fact just the eyecup end ring which if present is a doddle (famous last words), looks in reasonable shape otherwise. Tho worst case if the HR/5 is otherwise good and better viewing I can use the MK2 for the spare part if what's on it can't be sorted. Time will tell how the dice roll, gotta take a gamble sometimes huh :D 

• Like 1

I ordered this beautiful Baader Zeiss 1.25" BBHS prism a few days ago from FLO, and Mr postman delivered it this morning.  I've already seen an impressive improvement over the Takahashi prism by viewing detail in a random stone wall on a hillside across the other side of town (through double glazing), that was very high contrast and razor sharp in the BBHS but soft and lacking some contrast in the Tak prism. That's not to say the Tak isn't a good prism, it is, but the BBHS looks to be in another league. I've seen great things using the Tak prism, but I'm hoping to see even more through this one.

Along with the prism I ordered a Baader helical micro focuser, which is a beautiful piece of engineering and at a fraction of the price of anyother micro focuser option I know of. And also a 2" nose for the diagonal to cut down on adapters. Very pleased!!

I did shop around initially to see who had this BBHS prism in stock. It was only Steve at FLO who got back to me with assistance and meaningful answers to my questions. Others seemed indifferent!  Thanks Steve, it meant a lot and was very helpful!

527640309_2020-05-1313_35_46.jpg.6b195987bde4eb283c3bf94e70ebd157.jpg818749272_2020-05-1313_36_07.jpg.2fec3289994305566b7a6401e4ddf654.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Nothing astro about this delivery at all but testing out the new Amazon Prime & Morrisons delivery service. Three hours from placing order until delivery. No frozen or chilled yet but anything else stocked by Morrisons, free delivery and a delivery slot. Only available in some areas so far. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

65AC6AB1-24C2-4476-A3A4-8BDFC399A615.jpeg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I ordered this beautiful Baader Zeiss 1.25" BBHS prism a few days ago from FLO, and Mr postman delivered it this morning.  I've already seen an impressive improvement over the Takahashi prism by viewing detail in a random stone wall on a hillside across the other side of town (through double glazing), that was very high contrast and razor sharp in the BBHS but soft and lacking some contrast in the Tak prism. That's not to say the Tak isn't a good prism, it is, but the BBHS looks to be in another league. I've seen great things using the Tak prism, but I'm hoping to see even more through this one.

Along with the prism I ordered a Baader helical micro focuser, which is a beautiful piece of engineering and at a fraction of the price of anyother micro focuser option I know of. And also a 2" nose for the diagonal to cut down on adapters. Very pleased!!

I did shop around initially to see who had this BBHS prism in stock. It was only Steve at FLO who got back to me with assistance and meaningful answers to my questions. Others seemed indifferent!  Thanks Steve, it meant a lot and was very helpful!

Have one myself and ideal on long fl scopes. The Tak prism just isn’t in the same leauge. Not bad but just doesn't seem Tak quality.

Edited by johninderby

10 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Have one myself and ideal on long fl scopes. The Tak prism just isn’t in the same leauge. Not bad but just doesn't seem Tak quality.

Is it much better than the non-Zeiss Baader prism? Seems to be a shortage of them- everyone out of stock at the moment

Treated myself to some more BST Starguiders to go with my 15mm. Can't wait to reorganise my eyepiece case later and it means I can give my stock Skywatcher 25mm & 10mm to my son along with my little Meade ETX 70 so that he has his own telescope set 😀

IMG_20200513_112258.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Package from Auntie FLO arrived this morning.

Took advice from SGL members here (thank you).

solar1.png

Brought the AstroZap Baader Solar Filter instead of the Seymour Glass Filter, Just waiting for the Baader Solar Continuum Filter to arrive which was not in stock.

solar.png

Edited by Mick H
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What solar finder are you using.? The Svbony one is good but cheap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SVBONY-Solar-Finder-Scope-Fully-Metal-for-Sun-Positioning-Solar-Eclipse-Observe/362366838367?hash=item545ebf265f:g:N6IAAOSwylRbMfYY

But I have now swiched to a filter for my 9x50 finder which is much, much better but of coirse more expensive.

https://www.365astronomy.com/Solar-Filter-for-50mm-Finder-Scopes-with-Baader-Astro-Solar-Safety-Film.html

EAB8225F-91A8-456F-AE85-9E9D7B8944C8.jpeg

Edited by johninderby