Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC 410 - The Tadpoles in Ha

steppenwolf

IC 410 – The Tadpoles

IC 410 (‘The Tadpoles’) is a fascinating region of nebulosity in the Constellation of Auriga. This dusty star-forming region is part of a larger area of nebulosity that also contains IC405 (’The Flaming Star Nebula’) located around 13000 light years away. The gorgeous shapes within the nebula are sculpted from immense stellar winds from radiation developed by the large, hot young stars in the embedded open star cluster, NGC 1893.

The two immense, dense structures radiating away from the centre of the nebula give it its common name ‘The Tadpoles’. These are the remnants of vast pillars of dust and gas left over from the formation of the star cluster itself.

My main imaging focus recently has been to capture Ha data for B33 (‘The Horsehead Nebula’) but this object only rises above my local horizon after 22.00 so to fill the time while I wait for the Horse to arrive, I decided to capture IC 410 but the clear nights have – of course – coincided with the presence of the Moon ......... thank goodness for 3nm filters! I added my most recent data to that captured in October, 2017 to complete this phase of the image.

Image Stats

Mount: Mesu 200
Telescope: Sky-Watcher Esprit 150
Flattener: Sky-Watcher Esprit specific
Camera: QSI 683 WSG-8
Filter: Astrodon 3nm Ha
Subframes: 22 x 1800 sec Ha
Integration: 11 hours
Control: CCD Commander
Capture: MaxIM DL
Calibration and Stacking: PixInsight
Post-Processing: PhotoShop PS3

The Tadpoles

Tadpoles_IC410.thumb.png.202d759ed4dd539bf1e6426372e40db2.png

Nice resolution with that combo Steve.. The esprit 150 is very tempting. I was thumbing through your new book this morning (dropped through my letterbox yesterday) & this looks like a good example to go with the Sharpening & Noise reduction chapter. Its not something you can easily see in printed examples due to the nature of print but I knew exactly what you were talking about looking at this. I've tended to very quickly overcook things, especially NR & sharpening, having only worked in PixInsight for the last 3 or so years. So I think I'll be going back to re learning PS with your excellent book as a reference. :icon_salut:

5 hours ago, carastro said:

Nice lot of detail there Steve, especially in the black nebulae.  Looking forward to the next stage of colour.

So is my wife, she is NOT impressed with my mono work!

5 hours ago, SyedT said:

Excellent work Steve. I'm currently working on an IC 405 and IC 410 mosaic, did not realise that they were close enough together that I can do a mosaic with just two panels using my setup!

I definitely can't get 'em both in with my setup but I bet they make a lovely pairing!

5 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

What a great image. The Tadpoles have such detail, they seem to float high above the nebula. :)

They do stand out don't they, almost 3D - it is amazing how many objects give this illusion if the contrast is right.

4 hours ago, MARS1960 said:

Very very nice, tremendous detail, those tadpoles are positively glowing.

Taming them so they didn't burn out was fun!

3 hours ago, Scott said:

Top draw mate. You seem to be getting plenty of scope time....lucky beggar ;)

Not as much as I'd like but I am fortunate that I can image any night that it is clear.

3 hours ago, lux eterna said:

Very nice, so much structure to explore in that image. And also great inspiration to give it a try - thanks.

It certainly is a fascinating region of sky - even without the 'Tadpole' structures there's plenty to see.

3 hours ago, cfpendock said:

Oh yes.  Very good, and as Carole above noted, especially the dark bits.  This is one target I actually prefer in mono, so even if you later add colour, for me it is excellent "as is".

I do love B & W images but I fear that I am in the minority!

2 hours ago, Sp@ce_d said:

Nice resolution with that combo Steve.. The esprit 150 is very tempting. I was thumbing through your new book this morning (dropped through my letterbox yesterday) & this looks like a good example to go with the Sharpening & Noise reduction chapter.

Yes, you are right, an ideal candidate - I hope you enjoy the book!

11 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

So is my wife, she is NOT impressed with my mono work!

I definitely can't get 'em both in with my setup but I bet they make a lovely pairing!

They do stand out don't they, almost 3D - it is amazing how many objects give this illusion if the contrast is right.

Taming them so they didn't burn out was fun!

Not as much as I'd like but I am fortunate that I can image any night that it is clear.

It certainly is a fascinating region of sky - even without the 'Tadpole' structures there's plenty to see.

I do love B & W images but I fear that I am in the minority!

Yes, you are right, an ideal candidate - I hope you enjoy the book!

Rough mosaic, autostretched in PI only:

IC405_410_Mosaic.thumb.png.41cab72be252deec8428b251b3143765.png

I didn't realise that they were so close during my imaging of IC 405, hence the incomplete panels!

13 hours ago, swag72 said:

Love the brightness of the tadpoles contrasting with the rest of the complex......  dry nice indeed ??

Thanks, Sara.

11 hours ago, SyedT said:

I didn't realise that they were so close during my imaging of IC 405, hence the incomplete panels!

They're closer than I thought too!

Archived