Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New to Site

Ron N

I used to have a cheapie telescope years ago but got away from it.  Now my son is old enough to have an interest so a year ago I got a small Celestron Dobsonian First Scope, tabletop model.  We have taken it on several camping trips and he enjoys it very much, as do I.  Recently he expressed even more interest and wanted a bigger telescope so I consulted with a friend and got a Sky-Watcher Dobsonian 8", didn't want the wife to complain to much and the added "it keeps him off the Xbox" helped.  Naturally as luck would have it, clouds and rain have moved in for the next few days/nights.  We did manage to get out for about 20 minutes in backyard and had an impressive 1st viewing between cloud cover, all I can say is wow......

I think the upcoming eclipse has a lot to do with son's increased interest and it helps we're only 35-40 miles from what is being billed as "best viewing place in Missouri, USA".

I am sure I'll have lots of questions as time goes on so bear with me :)

Ron N.

Welcome, Ron. Glad you and your son are getting into the hobby. 

I have read lots about 'The Great American Eclipse' and smile to myself ... ? But if that's what throws the switch for folks, then come on in say I. Enjoy yourselves. ??

Welcome to you and your son to SGL.
Shared family observing can be a wonderful thing.

I observed with binoculars with my now late father and have very fond memories that I cherish.
Observe sometimes with both my daughters and hope they enjoy the time with the old man.

Hi there and welcome to SGL my grandson was over for the transit of Mercury he seemed interested and I got a "cool" and "wow".I think I kept him off the x box for about mmm three and a half minutes.

Hi Ron and welcome to the community, hope you enjoy your time with us, great choice of

scope , you will have of fun with it, especially when your son is with you, see you around.

Clear Sky's .

Greeting Ron from land down under

We experienced the solar eclipse back in 2012

With my Skywatcher 10" collapsible dob, with the large plastic cover, removed the small disc cover on one side, and on the underside over the small hole in the cover, I attached a piece of Baader solar film paper, and place the plastic cover back on the scope

You did not mention if you had a solid tube or collapsible dob

The small hole reduces the amount of light coming into the scope

Leave spotting scope off the mount all together, to avoid accidently viewing through it

Where I was only had 80% solar eclipse, where 1800kms north of where I was, had 100% solar eclipse

Have attached pic took with camera android to eyepiece

Solar Eclipse.jpg

Archived