Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Disillusioned Astronomer

Mr Spock

Last weekend I had my scope out for the first time in ages. Usually, the mount is too heavy for my bad back but I decided to give it a go.

The obvious target was jupiter. Everyone who posted about that night said what lovely views they had. What I saw was a blurry mess. I could make out a few belts and just about see the GRS.
I had a look at a few stars to check my collimation; it was just fine, however... looking at Regulus made me think I was looking through a Kaleidoscope.

I'm used to this now. Seeing was absolute pants. It's obviously local as others were having good views.

Deep sky? Forget it! Once upon a time, many years ago, I could see the milkyway. Then the orange glow started to spread and it disappeared. In the last year or so this has been replaced with LED glow - the sky is now a nice pale grey...

Maybe it's time to find a new hobby - crocheting perhaps... :tongue2:

"crocheting perhaps.."

Careful, still possible to drop stitches,  knot the skein or for the cat to attack the output in a tooth and claw frenzy !!!!.....   stick to the gentle art of star-gazing...

I don't know about a disillusioned astronomer, I'd just give my hind teeth for enough fine nights (actually one would suffice at the moment) to have a bash at actually getting to grips with the hobby and actually becoming an astronomer!

Why take up another hobby? It just sounds like you need to buy some more astro kit...with all the time you will spend tinkering with it there will be no time to do any actual stargazing/imaging anyway!

Crocheting will just give you arthritis anyway...

21 minutes ago, Floater said:

Mr Spock! A short visit to Sick Bay, on Deck 3, and you'll be back right as rain!

The trouble is, as the good doctor would say, that he is "a Doctor not a weatherman!"

5 hours ago, Ruud said:

I recommend Tunisian crochet. It doesn't get prettier than that.

images.jpg.4a3a7a83beaba2c82be620dc1dbd66cc.jpg Link

Ahhh crochet. I thought you guys were talking about :

Croquet.jpg.6cec21ae074e8c67ccd78ec92abf7f08.jpg

You really are disillusioned..

edit : and I really get lost in translation more often than not..

What you need Mr Spock is a yard obsy for your too heavy scope so you're ready to go at a moments notice.  Chances are the scope will be more at equalibrian to night temps and less cool down time on Jupiter. 

But even that wouldn't satisy me - I want and get detailed galaxies views by dumping the EP for a little USB cam to laptop like M51 in just 3s exp and in 30s or more in colour.  My YouTube sampler

Nytecam 

m51g160405x3smgx.jpg

Michael, we are in the same boat regard LP and weather (i`m not moaning) you have even more LP than me, i have the moist atmosphere.

I stick to accessible targets like Luna and planets, some double stars and a few clusters, I really do have to wonder if you are not using the 925 and big mount so often, is it time to scale down, sell the heavy kit and invest in a more portable set up, my 102 Maksutov has been, and is a great asset, it lives in an outbuilding, is always at right temp and gives great views of what i like.............just a thought 

Take a break from astronomy - rather than painting bullseye's on your backsides. And find an easier to tote telescope as a gift to your back.

Everyone hits a 'fugue-stage' whereby their identity as a fill-in-the-blank takes a vacation for awhile.

You'll be back.

Dave

Archived