Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Image of the day Astrobin

astroavani

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not at all surprised Avani, your images are more than capable of holding there own... especially nice as the target is one that DSO imagers (not all granted so I'm not generalising) tend to find a source of frustration!

Keep them coming, I think they are outstanding!

Ta

Fozzie

3 hours ago, neil phillips said:

That is  very nice. Great capture and processing 

Maybe Neil and Avani could have an imaging shoot out, choose a Luna feature and both give it the best shot, you are both at the top of the game with luna

3 hours ago, nightfisher said:

Maybe Neil and Avani could have an imaging shoot out, choose a Luna feature and both give it the best shot, you are both at the top of the game with luna

Lol Jules does anyone want to lend me a C14 instead of a SW 300P and send me off to a country where we actually get good seeing. Avani will outperform anything i can do if not. 

But its a interesting point. Seeing and equipment are the most important things. Without that there is no amount of skill to build on Then comes collimation, understanding thermal issues,and capturing and processing. Which is stilll important. But even a simple process of great data. will always do better than so so data processed amazingly well. All imaging at all levels is interesting.. But i think its good to want to try and strive forward, No matter what level anyone is presently at. Thats half the fun. The other half is the result. Though this might be different for different people. 

Avani gets great results for many reasons. Not all of it just equipment. For sure

If Avani was in the UK with a 300p i guess he would get results similar to me. Nothing to compare i dont think. When people Judge images. I think they should judge equipment and location primarily. Its all relevant 

You're right, Mr Neil, when I look at a photograph the first thing I do is observe the equipment used and only then judge it. The seeing is something inherent to each one of us and in that we can do nothing, not everyone has the chance to go to Barbados as Damian is not.
Yes, it certainly takes a big advantage over you in terms of equipment, a C14 has more aperture, opening for high resolution photos will always be a winner. Another factor is the long focal length, in which SCTs have a good advantage. But as for seeing, perhaps the difference is not so obvious there. Much I hear that seeing in England is usually bad, but we have to consider that Brazil is a continental country and I am unfortunately not in the best place. I am situated 30º south and I suffer a lot with the jet stream, which is almost constant here.
But we should not complain about it, nowadays an astrophotographer who values himself must know how to properly use filters that will greatly help to improve and even dribble part of the bad seeing. A high-speed camera in these situations is essential!
As we can see and you also commented, there are many factors that allow you to get a great photo and the capacity of the photographer is still one of the fundamental factors, if that were not so, what a grace that would be our hobby!
Anyway I totally agree that there is no way to compare, each with their equipment and in their place striving to make the best possible, that's the idea.
Even so, how about looking at a picture taken with a simple C8?
Http://www.astrobin.com/full/240728/0/

Z.png

The moon here in the UK is at aroung 30 degrees altitude... Not great. In Brazil I imagine its much higher in the sky? Perhaps 65-70 degrees altitude? You have the advantage there Avani! Still, that image from a humble C8 is astounding. It makes me want to swap my 8" newt for one, it would be a lot easier to manage at lest. 

Yes CraigT82, really the difference in altitude is a big advantage in my favor. In this photo I believe it was between 60/65 degrees and for high resolution photography the higher the better the better the lower the turbulence is the atmospheric dispersion.

10 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

The moon here in the UK is at aroung 30 degrees altitude... Not great. In Brazil I imagine its much higher in the sky? Perhaps 65-70 degrees altitude? You have the advantage there Avani! Still, that image from a humble C8 is astounding. It makes me want to swap my 8" newt for one, it would be a lot easier to manage at lest. 

10 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Its much higher than that Craig I recently imaged at about 50 for that colour mosaic . Still i can only dream what 70 degrees would be like 

17 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Its much higher than that Craig I recently imaged at about 50 for that colour mosaic . Still i can only dream what 70 degrees would be like 

Yes I guess it on would have been in middle of December, I just looked up the altitude of this mornings waning crescent moon which was 29 deg.

31 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Yes I guess it on would have been in middle of December, I just looked up the altitude of this mornings waning crescent moon which was 29 deg.

No worries Craig, But just wanted to be precise, as the discussion has gone in the direction of quality expectation. 

Archived