NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telfon pads/tape for mount?

michaelmorris

I'm (hopefully) very soon going to be pressing the buy button on a Skywatcher EQ8 to mount on my existing concrete pier.  I've already ordered an adaptor to mount the EQ8 on to the existing adjustment plate at the top of the pier.  The pier/tripod that can be bought for the EQ8 has Teflon pads on the mounting plate to make it easier to adjust the mount when polar aligning it.

img_2019.jpg

The 3rd party adaptor plate doesn't have these pads.  Does anyone know where such things could be purchased?  My guess is that the Teflon strips used in Dobsonian mounts would be do the job nicely.  Has anyone got an suggestions any idea where I might get some?

If you want to use adhesive with Teflon you need to purchase etched teflon. This where one side of the teflon has been chemically treated (etched) so that it may be glued.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Teflon-PTFE-sheets-0-03-thick-with-industrial-strength-self-adhesive-backing-/110978983044?var=&hash=item19d6dce484:m:mtXZB3CtxtfDUWvC7IO0d5A

I have some 2" rolls of stickybacked Teflon tape, from 3M, this stuff, and it is very expensive:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Adhesives/Tapes/Products/~/3M-General-Purpose-PTFE-Glass-Cloth-Tape-5151-Light-Brown-2-in-x-36-yd-3-5-mil-24-per-case-Bulk?N=5474452+3291638463+4294921724&rt=rud

if it will do the job I can send you some for the cost of postage...I have three rolls, and I think they are around £60 a roll, I can send you few metres.... :)

26 minutes ago, michaelmorris said:

Thanks guys.

Ian -  your link is to a sheet that has a whooping £24 postage charge!  Would a tape like the one below do the job?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Adhesive-PTFE-Strip-25-0-5mm-Sold-per-meter-/122185700739?hash=item1c72d5d583:g:ImQAAOSwLF1YBoN2

Your right, it is not cheap. That was just the result of a quick search to give you some ideas, as Shane says, search for PTFE/Teflon sheet. Remember, Teflon is just a trade name. You could use what you linked to, not lost much if it doesn't work.

15 minutes ago, Zakalwe said:

There's no real need for Teflon. I cut a circle out of the plastic covered notebook.  Or just smear a thin layer of grease under the base.

That's what I was thinking. The big mounts here don't have Teflon between head and pier.

Olly

13 hours ago, michaelmorris said:

I'm (hopefully) very soon going to be pressing the buy button on a Skywatcher EQ8 to mount on my existing concrete pier.  I've already ordered an adaptor to mount the EQ8 on to the existing adjustment plate at the top of the pier.  The pier/tripod that can be bought for the EQ8 has Teflon pads on the mounting plate to make it easier to adjust the mount when polar aligning it.

The 3rd party adaptor plate doesn't have these pads.  Does anyone know where such things could be purchased?  My guess is that the Teflon strips used in Dobsonian mounts would be do the job nicely.  Has anyone got an suggestions any idea where I might get some?

I don't get the point of ordering an adapter for the pier top, unless the pier top is already drilled for the adapter? If not, then you're going to have to drill the pier top to bolt the adapter to. If you have to do that then you might as well just drill the four holes that the EQ8 needs and bolt it directly to the pier top.

In actual use, polar alignment is a very marginal adjustment. If it were to be very large, then maybe Teflon pads would be worthwhile.

And since this is to be a Pier Mounting, any adjusting would be very little after the set up.

It is good you have your thinking cap on, but I don't think Teflon is warranted.

I've got ptfe circles on a couple of mounts, no need to glue just cut a circle and drill the necessary holes, it certainly helps as the mounts tend to jerk once the adjustment bolts overcome the friction.

I think a 300mm X 300mm  X 3mm sheet was only a couple of pounds.

Dave

Archived