Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ8 Electrical problem

Neil56

Seasons greetings to all.  I have a Sky-Watcher Eq8 Pro mount with synscan , a bit over 2 years old having had fairly light use ( due to moving house).  This has sadly developed a problem. When all plugged in and switched on the LED on the switch comes on , steady red, no flashing, the hand control lights up, but looks somewhat dim and anaemic and the screen remains blank, there is no initialising, in fact there is no anything other than an orange glow. I have tried the obvious things, I have cleaned contacts, replaced cables etc. No better.

Reading other posts, it seemed likely that this may be a power supply problem, especially as mine  was somewhat  dodgy and on the end of a very , very long wire.  Santa helpfully provided me with a new regulated switched power supply delivering a steady 13.5 Volts DC  at up to 5 amps.  To try this out I brought the whole thing inside so that there is no longer the long wire, I plug it in full of high hopes and guess what. no change, still nothing on the synscan screen. BU**ER it !! 

Clearly there is a fault in either the hand control or within the mount itself.  Can anyone suggest a way of determining which is at fault ?  I don't want to pay quite a lot to get the mount to a service agent only to find that a replacement hand control would have fixed it.  The handbooks that came with the EQ8 give little information on troubleshooting and what little there is, requires a working connected hand control.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

NEIL

I'd definitely start with a replacement hand controller, just to rule it out - it's a cheap thing to get and the more up-to-date Synscan controller is probably useful anyway if it's not the problem.

Beyond that, if the mount is drawing much current at idle (>0.5A) then it might be a short or similar, otherwise likely to be a controller issue either internally or externally. If it's external replacing the hand controller will fix it. if it's internal, off to your fave mount service team it is I think!

Archived