Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DIY Spring Peak star party.

30 minutes ago, Ken82 said:

Great idea stu ! Also what if the weather is particularly poor ? Does everyone still go or do we cancel ? 

Definitely still go. Getting a clear night is a bonus, as Paul says it's great just to meet people.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Ken82 said:

Great idea stu ! Also what if the weather is particularly poor ? Does everyone still go or do we cancel ? 

I'll still be going no matter what the weather,
if i don't the boss will have me doing 3 days of DIY :eek:

43 minutes ago, mdstuart said:

I plan to go and walk to Dove Dale on the Saturday if anyone would like to join me.

Perhaps this one.

WALK%20MAP%205%20for%20cafe.jpg

How far Mark? If the back is holding up and the sun isn't shining I may join you :) 

1 hour ago, Ken82 said:

I am still going I have payed?

Good to get away from work and the wife but don't tell her?

2 hours ago, Stu said:

How far Mark? 

My old map reading and estimation skills tell me that is about 13-15km, so about 10 miles.

My old knees can't do that any more so I'll have the kettle on when you all get back :grin:

1 hour ago, DRT said:

My old map reading and estimation skills tell me that is about 13-15km, so about 10 miles.

My old knees can't do that any more so I'll have the kettle on when you all get back :grin:

Might need something a little stronger 

5 hours ago, Pig said:

Ken, to be sure take some small flat pieces of plywood / MDF or even stone to put underneath you tripod feet, they will distribute the weight and stop any sinking.

What a fantastic idea Pig :grin:

28 minutes ago, mdstuart said:

Guys

It's between 4 and 5 miles.

We leave at 9.30 after a full English breakfast and we will be back by 12 ish for lunch and solar viewing.

Mark

Just checked with Gmaps pedometer and stating 8.5miles so probably a good 3-4hours walk for most. I'd make one but with the crystal clear Friday, Saturday and Sunday night that Nick has ordered for us I will probably be in bed until after lunch :grin:

6 hours ago, Pig said:

Ken, to be sure take some small flat pieces of plywood / MDF or even stone to put underneath you tripod feet, they will distribute the weight and stop any sinking.

That's brilliant Shaun, why didn't I think of that?

Thanks! ;) 

4 hours ago, DRT said:

3 hours ago, mdstuart said:

It's between 4 and 5 miles.

2 hours ago, mapstar said:

Just checked with Gmaps pedometer and stating 8.5miles

8.5 miles = 13.7km - my estimation skills haven't faded despite state of my knees :smile:

That is not an inconsiderable hike in the Peaks in March. If you intend going, come prepared and properly attired :wink:

Cobbled together some of my favourite binaries . There are some challenges there, most have been with the C6r. Just started observing old favourites with the OO Newt. The straight across vane makes stars almost frac like !

In particular Tegmine and "La Superba" are lovely. Nick.IMG_4528.JPGIMG_4529.JPG

3 minutes ago, cotterless45 said:

Cobbled together some of my favourite binaries . There are some challenges there, most have been with the C6r. Just started observing old favourites with the OO Newt. The straight across vane makes stars almost frac like !

In particular Tegmine and "La Superba" are lovely. Nick.IMG_4528.JPGIMG_4529.JPG

That puts my random "Oh, those two stars are close together" observation methodology seem a bit amateurish :rolleyes2:

1 hour ago, cotterless45 said:

Printed off and in my folder all ready.

Archived