Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DIY Spring Peak star party.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Just as a matter of interest what cable do I need if I could get one from Maplins.

I'm away from home at the moment but will dig it out and let you know when I get home.

You need one of these: http://ca.skywatcher.com/_english/03_accessories/02_detail.php?sid=96

You will get one on eBay or Amazon.

That plugs into your handset and then into an RS-232 socket on a computer, or into the RS-232-USB adapter I linked to above.

I've got the cable and the adapter. I'll bring them along but you will need the app loaded on your laptop and the latest version of the software downloaded unless there is wifi at the campsite.

3 minutes ago, DRT said:

You need one of these: http://ca.skywatcher.com/_english/03_accessories/02_detail.php?sid=96

You will get one on eBay or Amazon.

That plugs into your handset and then into an RS-232 socket on a computer, or into the RS-232-USB adapter I linked to above.

I've got the cable and the adapter. I'll bring them along but you will need the app loaded on your laptop and the latest version of the software downloaded unless there is wifi at the campsite.

Your a star I`m just thinking if there is no wifi and need to download drivers when plugged in were snookered thats why seeing if it is viable to buy them.

1 minute ago, wookie1965 said:

Your a star I`m just thinking if there is no wifi and need to download drivers when plugged in were snookered thats why seeing if it is viable to buy them.

I've got a Synscan handset on my AZ-EQ6 that I'm just about to replace with a StarSense. I'll try to update the Synscan before the star party and bring it along. You can borrow it and see if it sorts your problem :wink:

4 minutes ago, DRT said:

I've got a Synscan handset on my AZ-EQ6 that I'm just about to replace with a StarSense. I'll try to update the Synscan before the star party and bring it along. You can borrow it and see if it sorts your problem :wink:

Wow thats very kind of you from what I read it says older firmware makes the dec axis jump at the beginning of the slew the site said the new firmware has counter acted this. I`m trying everything get this pointing problem perhaps I`m clutching at straws. Do you think these 2 would do it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5M-RJ45-Male-to-9-Pin-RS232-RS-232-DB9-Female-Plug-LAN-Router-Cable-connector-/231708276547?hash=item35f2e3b743:g:5nIAAOSwjVVVzCS2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162027019888?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

30 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Wow thats very kind of you from what I read it says older firmware makes the dec axis jump at the beginning of the slew the site said the new firmware has counter acted this. I`m trying everything get this pointing problem perhaps I`m clutching at straws. Do you think these 2 would do it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5M-RJ45-Male-to-9-Pin-RS232-RS-232-DB9-Female-Plug-LAN-Router-Cable-connector-/231708276547?hash=item35f2e3b743:g:5nIAAOSwjVVVzCS2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162027019888?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Yip, those should do the trick.

On 28/02/2017 at 22:56, wookie1965 said:

Brilliant I will send for them now thank you so much for your help see you on the 24th I`m really looking forward to it. Thank you so much Derek.

Paul

Just to let people know my handset is updated now after a lot of faff running 03.39.03 hopefully everything will work now.

10 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Just to let people know my handset is updated now after a lot of faff running 03.39.03 hopefully everything will work now.

That will be the kiss of death then!! 

Not long now.... 

Paul

2 hours ago, Moonshane said:

It's going to be clear all day and night for at least two days. I've booked this from weather.co.uk.

Shane

Sorry to be the barer of bad news but, I had a very disappointing experience with this supplier. Granted, I did order 4 days straight, but they completely failed to deliver! To make matters worse. When I complained they, whilst being sympathetic, denied all liability!!!

Paul

The last PSP was storm Gonzalez if I remember correctly. Having just been through storm Doris and Ewan during the Galloway Star camp I doubt the weather (even though I've no doubt it will be crystal clear) will put me or any of the other Dob mob off. 

I stand by the two motos

If you don't go you'll never know! :grin:

And go big or go home :evil6:

2 hours ago, mapstar said:

The last PSP was storm Gonzalez if I remember correctly. Having just been through storm Doris and Ewan during the Galloway Star camp I doubt the weather (even though I've no doubt it will be crystal clear) will put me or any of the other Dob mob off. 

I stand by the two motos

If you don't go you'll never know! :grin:

And go big or go home :evil6:

I like those!

3 hours ago, cotterless45 said:

Hurrah ! I'm mightily tempted to take a proper scope and show you what stars should look like !

Planning on an autumn event here ,not keen on going down to the river again,

Old Nick.

September might be a good month to go Nick although well see what the skies are like first. 

This has come round quick. Very much looking forward to those clear skies that @Moonshane has promised us. I'm assuming he is underwriting that commitment with beer and wine so that we have something to do if he doesn't deliver on the promise :wink: 

30 minutes ago, mapstar said:

September might be a good month to go Nick although well see what the skies are like first. 

Can't be as bad as the old PSP Damian...that barn was a Godsend...

4 hours ago, cotterless45 said:

Hurrah ! I'm mightily tempted to take a proper scope and show you what stars should look like !

Planning on an autumn event here ,not keen on going down to the river again,

Old Nick.

Im up for an Autumn Meet might even have my tent by then.

Archived