Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What got you started?

For me it is all down to the great man, Sir Patrick Moore. I always watched BBC The Sky at Night programme and back around 1960ish when I was a schoolboy they put on a special offer, it was for a 4" reflector with a table top mount made by Charles Frank of Glasgow. It was dirt cheap. That silly little scope got me hooked! I was amazed by the number of stars it revealed and I cannot describe the joy that thing gave me. I actually kept that scope for 20 years, it was so light and easy and didn't need any set up, I could pop outside with it at a moments notice, a lesson that proved valuable in later life! The more complicated your gear the less likely you are to use it. Well, that's how I got started, a hobby that has lasted me 55 years and the night sky still amazes me. 

So what"s your story? What got you started?

Keith

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Mum pointing out constellations in the winter sky (Orion etc.) when I was a small child.  I then didn't go any further than books aimed at youngsters, but I was impressed by the artists' impressions of the planets, and I recall that back then, Jupiter had about 9 known moons; Saturn 6 (I think).

Fast forward many years - all this was rekindled by a 'scope on display in a Curry's store - a 130 Newt on an Eq mount.  Sadly, I didn't take to it at all, so the whole thing was nearly killed off.  But I exchanged that 'scope for a humble 70mm frac - Moon, doubles, Venus, Jupiter, M42, etc. - and that's when it really took off for me!

Doug.

Probably after watching Star Wars, or Close Encounters of the third kind way back in '78 it got me wondering about space and the stars, and there after noticed the constellation Orion in the winter months, which got me hooked. Started watching Patrick Moore on SAN after this, and then getting a cheap store telescope, which allowed me to zoom in on the sky, and I've been hooked on and off ever since! :) 

The sky has always held fascination. Try mid-Indian Ocean during a middle watch. But as with all things, other interests and lifestyle took priority.

Then there's this bloke Professor Brian Cox. And memories go back to Patrick Moore and Carl Sagan et. al.

And a French neighbour held a star party - my first sight of Jupiter's moons. Fantastic. At that point I promised myself I'd look further into the hobby. And Brian Cox kept nagging...

I remember the moon landings as a young brat but I wouldn't say it inspired me to become an astronomer. it amazed the hell out of me but I think that was more my 6-7 yr old mind going wild. I can't say there was any one moment that was a catylist. I think if you've got an inquisitive mind them space is always going to interest you. As for owning my first real 'scope, My mum gave me a sum of money for my 50th, the kids had grown and didn't need mum and dad any more so it went on a 200p/eq5. It has cost me so much more since then but it is possibly the best gift I ever had :D

sorry for boring you all :0 

5 hours ago, bunnygod1 said:

Nothing more complicated than looking up as a child. No one particular memory,  but more no memory of not being interested. 

Same here, can't remember not being interested, but didn't get my first scope until I was 26-27.

It was a boy at primary school. I was interested in science anyway and he started telling me about stars and planets and the moon. I got the bug. I went on with it, but I don't think he did. Before long I was asking for books on astronomy for birthdays etc, and then there was Patrick Moore and the 'space race'.  

I first became interested in the night sky whilst camping as a cub scout. Couldn't afford a commercial telescope so made my own. Got hooked on to telescope making and have been continuing to do so as an amateur and professional for the last 60 years.   :icon_biggrin:

At the age of eight or nine, a trip with the family to the Sears surplus store, where there, perched atop an aisle divider, stood a Sears(Towa) 60mm f/11 refractor on an alt-azimuth mount.  I strolled around the divider several times, admiring it, and before I knew it, it was up at the register being rung up.

My very first look through my first telescope was of Saturn, its image of an eerie fluorescent-green colouration, and perhaps due to the atmosphere.  I still have the kit, stored somewhere on my place, but the front lens is scratched up a bit.

The Apollo space programme during the late 1960's / early 1970's got me hooked on space followed by astronomy club at secondary school and the loan of a 60mm refractor for a few months to study Jupiter. Sir Patrick Moore's "Oberservers Book of Astronomy" was a great supporting factor as well.

I didn't get my own scope for a few years after that though. I've owned some 30+ scopes during the 35 years since then so I've more than made up for the early equipment drought !

2 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

Same here, can't remember never being interested, but didn't get my first scope until I was 26-27.

I got my first and second telescopes from my mum's club book, great universal I think the book was called. Both Tasco telescopes a 2 1/2" refractor, then a 4 1/2 reflector.

The arrival of Halleys comet really cemented my interest! 

45 minutes ago, bunnygod1 said:

The arrival of Halleys comet really cemented my interest! 

That was when I bought my first "decent" scope, a 2.5 inch Tasco refractor. I was actually dissapointed with it and preferred my old cheap 4" reflector. Didn't buy another scope until 1992 and that is the one I own now. I bought it second hand, it was actually made in 1985 in the rush for scopes to view Halley's Comet. 

Keith my interest started around 1961/2 when a friend bought a Charles Frank Junior Refractor - the tube was made of cardboard but I loved the view of the Moon. I had my first salary payment in early 1965 and I went out and bought a Japanese 60mm Frac - picture below.

The 1960s was all about the 'Space Race' with the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions - so I was hooked. I even attended a special event at the Royal Society when I heard a lecture by Dr Thomas Paine - Head of NASA - he gave me his autograph which I still have.

first.telescope.bought.jpg

7 hours ago, Bonnylad said:

The sky has always held fascination. Try mid-Indian Ocean during a middle watch. But as with all things, other interests and lifestyle took priority.

Then there's this bloke Professor Brian Cox. And memories go back to Patrick Moore and Carl Sagan et. al.

And a French neighbour held a star party - my first sight of Jupiter's moons. Fantastic. At that point I promised myself I'd look further into the hobby. And Brian Cox kept nagging...

Spent plenty of middle and morning watches in the mid Indian Ocean but saw no stars.  Although I did see Plenty of gauges, fuel pressure, steam temp, bilge water. , !

7 hours ago, Bonnylad said:

Spent plenty of middle and morning watches in the mid Indian Ocean but saw no stars.  Although I did see Plenty of gauges, fuel pressure, steam temp, bilge water. , !

2 hours ago, Moonshed said:

That was when I bought my first "decent" scope, a 2.5 inch Tasco refractor. I was actually dissapointed with it and preferred my old cheap 4" reflector. Didn't buy another scope until 1992 and that is the one I own now. I bought it second hand, it was actually made in 1985 in the rush for scopes to view Halley's Comet. 

Blimey Shane you didn't look that old last time I saw You.!

2 hours ago, Moonshed said:

Even though Halley's comet was a bit of a let down for some, I thought it was probably the most amazing thing I had seen in my life (aged 20). 30 years on, I still think it is one of the most amazing things I have seen. The feeling I got when I finally saw it has never really left me!

I love history and I love the connection that astronomy has got with history.

I have to admit that Halley's Comet was a bit of a let down but it was the thrill of finding that little fuzzy blob in the eyepiece. Years later Hale Bopp and Hyakutaki more than made up for it, they were magnificent. Probably my most exciting moment was just looking at  the Milky Way through my first scope. Even today I get a real kick out of scanning the Milky Way through the bins.

Having grown up during the space programme, I even remember the pre Apolo days, the night sky has always had a fascination for me. Of course Sir Patrick was a big part of that as he hosted the TV coverage. That got me into watching the Sky at Night, and as they say the rest is history.

Archived