Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your set up in action at night.

Peco4321

13 minutes ago, Paz said:

Here's some rare footage of my C8 in action.

20180129_221914-1200x2133.thumb.jpg.315ac742a299e4e3c7c441660722847f.jpg

Looks good Paz. Where's the astro guard dog? Lol

Just now, Grumpy Martian said:

Looks good Paz. Where's the astro guard dog? Lol

A dog would be good, but I have 2 meddling cats, they are nowhere to be seen a lot of the time and then sneak up on me when I'm not expecting it.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Paz said:

A dog would be good, but I have 2 meddling cats, they are nowhere to be seen a lot of the time and then sneak up on me when I'm not expecting it.

It’s not just me then 🐈. Glad someone else has been caught out by the sneaky feline devils. We have 2 cats and mostly when I’m engrossed in observing I feel something brushing against my leg and it gives me the shock of my life. Cats .... gotta love em 🤨

steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Grumpy Martian said:

Loyal astro dog Louie guards our Orion Optics eight inch Newtonian

My astrodog completely ignores the scope. I can't understand why. 🤣

This is the Zeiss Telementor on its first outing since I got it on Thursday. I think the mount should be sufficient 🤣🤣, I had to remove one counterweight and keep the shaft retracted to get it balanced.

The Moon is just making an appearance and first impressions seem nice and sharp, although what darkness there is will tell all obviously. More later. Haven't got that long tonight but this mount should allow me to have a swift whizz around some doubles and other favourites. Might try Izar and the Double Double to see how it fares.

20190614_202816.jpg

20190614_202838.jpg

• Like 10

On 13/06/2019 at 18:42, Trikeflyer said:

It’s not just me then 🐈. Glad someone else has been caught out by the sneaky feline devils. We have 2 cats and mostly when I’m engrossed in observing I feel something brushing against my leg and it gives me the shock of my life. Cats .... gotta love em 🤨

steve

We don't have any cats ourselves but what makes me jump is the crash as everyone else's moggies jump up onto our fence and scramble over the top. 

Sometimes an even bigger crash signals the neighbourhood fox doing the same. 

• Haha 2

Here’s my CPC 800 in action, ready for some lunar observing. The picture was taken at 00:25 so technically it was taken at night, but as you can see, there really isn’t such thing as night here in Finland during summer. 😂 However I upgraded the stock focuser yesterday and just had to get a “first light” with the new one. Very impressed after a glimpse of Jupiter! 😎

Clear Skies,

Tomi

B4DDDC9A-F929-4B2A-8631-FD13494687F0.jpeg

• Like 10

Thanks @Stu ! It really is a nice place to observe, especially during the dark autumn months when it’s not that cold.  I’ve been pretty pleased with the C8, it seems to be the perfect telescope for me. It’s right at the sweet spot between light grasp and portability. 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Cripes! Does it get over the horizon up there?

Yes it does, but only barely. Both Jupiter and Saturn have a maximum altitude of ~6 degrees above horizon. I just came back from outside after viewing Saturn. I could see the rings but not any other detail, it is so low in the sky. The only star I was able to see with the naked eye was Vega, the sky is simply too bright... 😂

• Haha 1

10pm Tuesday, the 12 inch Dob tracking Jupiter at about 60 degrees altitude.

Fantastic steady seeing and with the 6.5mm Baader Morpheus I was able to see incredible details and colour - as will you poor folks up north  in a few years. :)

20190625_214607.thumb.jpg.5be50c928f1e64ef6cf7bbafae68c15a.jpg

• Like 8