Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tele Vue Discount ? (maybe, maybe not)

John

I've noticed that Telescope House will shortly have 15% off Tele Vue stuff for a short while.

That might be just the excuse that some need .........

Edit: I've just noticed that i) TH have not reflected the discount yet and ii) their base prices on TV eyepieces have popped up a fair bit very recently.

Hmmm ....... maybe not such a deal after all :undecided:

I've edited the title of my thread to reflect this uncertainty.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. I do hope the Astro market doesn't go down this route of increased 'price establishment' allowing for fake discounts. One good thing about price stability in the market is that secondhand prices remain fairly stable which benefits us all I think.

Yip Dave Kriege posted that the sale is on in the US as well :) getting a quote on a 10mm Ethos - he gives an additional OEM discount on top... Will compare with shipping included vs EU options.  Fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, andrew63 said:

It appears do be a spring special from televue as several dealers have it flagged up. 

andrew

Agreed but what is the actual deal ?

TH said that it's 15% but their base prices seem to have suddenly risen by 10% almost overnight so the real saving is around 5%.

Further to the above post, I've checked a couple of dealers websites (TH and Widescreen). As an example:

Ethos SX 3.7mm: last nights price £449.00 (stable for the past few months because I've been eyeing them up).

Todays price with supposed 15% discount £413.95.

If the 15% had been applied to last nights price the discounted price should be £381.65.

I agree that it is a bit of a con job.

I have been watching the price of a Delite 18.2.

Yesterday the price was £229.

Now the base price is £239 and the 15% is against this price.

These vendors are no better than the supermarkets for price fiddling.

I'm also tempted by the 17.3 Delos.

Back in Feb I got the 8mm. At that point I checked and it was 310 on the TH website. So based on that price the current price of 263 fits the 15% discount.

Also as far as I remember the 17.3 used to be 280 and is now at 238, which again fits for the 15% discount.

Andy.

5 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Still a genuine discount though

A price rise of ~8% followed by a discount of 15%. Not quite so newsworthy but better than a poke in the eye I guess.

Once the discount period has ended it will be interesting to see if the regular prices stick at their new higher levels or drop back to where they were last night.

Not sure that a ~7% discount is enough to tempt me into the Ethos SX 3.7mm :undecided:

It will get lots of use in my refractors but would be too much power for my 12" dob, most of the time. Plus I already have the 3.5mm Pantax XW and the 2mm-4mm Nagler zoom.

I've 2x Delos, still fully untested due to this darned weather and with Summer only a few Months  away, it will soon be too light to use the telescope anyway. ( just too far North?) 
15% off a TeleVue is better than nothing, but not outstanding!
Who knows my  6 & 8mm  Delos may become available to fund some other project ?  I need  to be certain by actually testing them, so I'm hoping the weather improves slightly before the lighter nights. 

5 hours ago, GimmeAMoonlite said:

I agree that it is a bit of a con job.

I have been watching the price of a Delite 18.2.

Yesterday the price was £229.

Now the base price is £239 and the 15% is against this price.

These vendors are no better than the supermarkets for price fiddling.

Don't know if you've seen but TH are advertising a price of £194.65 now which is 15% off £229.

3 hours ago, Sporadic Dobstronomer said:

I checked two Telescope House prices against their prices from the Web Archive (14th and 15th March) and they do seem to be discounted by 15%

My wallet is making pathetic noises and trying to hide.

It may vary item to item.

I was hoping that the Ethos 3.7 would drop to £381 which would be 15% off the price it was before this promotion started but it's listing at £413 at the moment with the discount.

Darned expensive item either way of course :rolleyes2:

My understanding from the regulations is that prices need to be established for 28 days before they can be advertised as a point from which a discount is applied.

As said, I really hope the Astro market doesn't go down this route.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/31900/10-1312-pricing-practices-guidance-for-traders.pdf

I don't know if it is because that I am on Telly House's mailing list but I always get 10% discount from them when I buy an eyepiece, not that I do much of that these days, I don't think 5% is going to tempt me. My biggest gripe with them is the 45 quid they charge for a courier, how come FLO manage the same type of service for about 15 pounds if I recall correctly, if only they sold TeleVue.

Archived