Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tele Vue Discount ? (maybe, maybe not)

John

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, faulksy said:

been eyeing up the 4.7 ethos john at th, as i had a email off them saying 15% off just waiting for it to apply

It's a cracking eyepiece Mike - when I got mine I wondered if I might ultimately prefer the Pentax XW but the 4.7 E has impressed each and every time I've used it. I still like the 5mm Pentax too so I'm probably going to keep them both, which is greedy but who cares eh ? :D

Since receiving the email from TH I have been considering the 11mm DeLite. I currently use the Explore Scientific 82 degree range and my only missing area is the 11mm ES. The price difference is 113 against 194 for the DeLite so which should I go for?

On 5/1/2016 at 09:57, John said:

I've noticed that Telescope House will shortly have 15% off Tele Vue stuff for a short while.

That might be just the excuse that some need .........

Edit: I've just noticed that i) TH have not reflected the discount yet and ii) their base prices on TV eyepieces have popped up a fair bit very recently.

Hmmm ....... maybe not such a deal after all :undecided:

I've edited the title of my thread to reflect this uncertainty.

I have never doubted TV's quality on scopes or accessories (I have one of their EP's or two myself!) but the bottom line I think is that purchasing from here in the UK they are overpriced and 15% off doesn't do much to change that. Yes I understand it's due to importing, but nevertheless there you have it my $0.02...but thanks John, nice to know...:icon_biggrin:

BTW - going to check it myself...(what the hell is wrong with me? Need to get tougher, must resist.....is futile) :help:

Tony.

52 minutes ago, t0nedude said:

I have never doubted TV's quality on scopes or accessories (I have one of their EP's or two myself!) but the bottom line I think is that purchasing from here in the UK they are overpriced and 15% off doesn't do much to change that. Yes I understand it's due to importing, but nevertheless there you have it my $0.02...but thanks John, nice to know...:icon_biggrin:

BTW - going to check it myself...(what the hell is wrong with me? Need to get tougher, must resist.....is futile) :help:

Tony.

I've bought all but one of my TV eyepieces from the used market. If the deal had been 15% less than the price they were listed at shortly before then I might have bitten but 7% is not quite enough to tempt the plastic from the wallet.

Plus I don't really need the eyepiece ..... but since when has need come into it ! :rolleyes2:

11 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Since receiving the email from TH I have been considering the 11mm DeLite. I currently use the Explore Scientific 82 degree range and my only missing area is the 11mm ES. The price difference is 113 against 194 for the DeLite so which should I go for?

Go for the ES 11mm, the extra 22 degree view is free.

I have the 11mm ES 82o which I use at 109x / and barlowed to 240x in the 200p dob.

The ES 82 is excellent. And comparable to the 6mm Delos I use at 200x

Eventually I plan to buy the 6.7 ES (or 14mm barlowed) to replace the 6mm Delos.

Anybody looking for new TV eyepieces may be interested the TV range from Orion Optics UK:

http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/TeleVue/televueeyepieces.html

the Delos range are available for £232, they have been advertised at this price  for a good few months now.  The rest of the TV range including Ethos also seem to be very competitive.  I'm assuming these prices include VAT, there is no indication on the site that they are ex-vat.

Kind Regards

Paul.

28 minutes ago, DeepSkyMan said:

Anybody looking for new TV eyepieces may be interested the TV range from Orion Optics UK:

http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/TeleVue/televueeyepieces.html

the Delos range are available for £232, they have been advertised at this price  for a good few months now.  The rest of the TV range including Ethos also seem to be very competitive.  I'm assuming these prices include VAT, there is no indication on the site that they are ex-vat.

Kind Regards

Paul.

all there prices are generally plus vat. im going there thursday so i will ask

Gone are the days when you could truly get a bargain. So much price fixing now, even across different nations. What annoys me though is when something is a certain price in dollars and they just change the dollar sign to a pound sign totally ripping us off! Perhaps we need to send someone on a vacation to America... 

John 

On 2 May 2016 at 22:16, John said:

The ES82's must be good if folks are considering moving from the Delos to them :icon_biggrin:

Can't say anything about Delos, but I could discern absolutely no difference between the 11mm ES 82* and the 11mm T6 Nagler. 

Im in the process of going the other way from ES82 to Delos.. I think for the price the ES82 is a very capable EP and I enjoyed many a good view with them, especially the 11 and 14mm.. However comfort wise, they lost out to vixen SLV's with a 50deg FoV as opposed to 82deg.. The Delos 10mm is far more comfortable to use, and I can see the entire FoV offered, something which I struggled on with the ES82 due to the eye relief..

Like I said for the price the ES82's are very very good.. but personally the 82 deg field with short eye relief wasn't comfortable for me, the Delos from my limited use is hitting the right balance.. Just not for my wallet...

ta

Fozzie

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎02 at 07:34, alan potts said:

I don't know if it is because that I am on Telly House's mailing list but I always get 10% discount from them when I buy an eyepiece, not that I do much of that these days, I don't think 5% is going to tempt me. My biggest gripe with them is the 45 quid they charge for a courier, how come FLO manage the same type of service for about 15 pounds if I recall correctly, if only they sold TeleVue.

I bought the Revelation 50mm from Telly House not long ago, 10£ in postage.

Looks like that 10% discount needs to be refunded in some way:icon_biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...

Trigger pulled on a 10E.  I don't buy EPs often - there was a lot of hovering before taking the plunge. The other real contender was a 9T6.  I'll see how I get on with the 10E. I keep telling my 13T6 that I still love it - though it is nervous because the 10E will have nearly same fov, but at a higher mag, and reportedly better + equalised transmission across all visible freqs.  I'm nervous about balance & weight: the T6's and Pan24 just balance beautifully, scope doesn't budge when sliding out and swapping EPs.

I really value no fuss in the dark, and am afraid that I'll have to add more EPs if I really like the 10E.  I went several years (like 3 or 4 I'd say :) ) since I last bought an EP for mono viewing... and my 3EP set plus a PM has served me very  well. Acquiring a 20ES100 going cheap recently has upset the apple tart (yeah I hold you responsible Barry!!! :D).  Seriously though, dithered over an 8mm vs a 10mm. Think I chose the right one at this time.  In the long term, I'd ideally like 100x, 150x, 200x, 250x (+ I have 280x, 380x with my Naglers+PM2.5). The 10E gives me 200x. Right now I get this with the Pan24+PM2.5, with 68° afov. I do hanker after wider fov!

20 minutes ago, niallk said:

Trigger pulled on a 10E.  I don't buy EPs often - there was a lot of hovering before taking the plunge. The other real contender was a 9T6.  I'll see how I get on with the 10E. I keep telling my 13T6 that I still love it - though it is nervous because the 10E will have nearly same fov, but at a higher mag, and reportedly better + equalised transmission across all visible freqs.  I'm nervous about balance & weight: the T6's and Pan24 just balance beautifully, scope doesn't budge when sliding out and swapping EPs.

I really value no fuss in the dark, and am afraid that I'll have to add more EPs if I really like the 10E.  I went several years (like 3 or 4 I'd say :) ) since I last bought an EP for mono viewing... and my 3EP set plus a PM has served me very  well. Acquiring a 20ES100 going cheap recently has upset the apple tart (yeah I hold you responsible Barry!!! :D).  Seriously though, dithered over an 8mm vs a 10mm. Think I chose the right one at this time.  In the long term, I'd ideally like 100x, 150x, 200x, 250x (+ I have 280x, 380x with my Naglers+PM2.5). The 10E gives me 200x. Right now I get this with the Pan24+PM2.5, with 68° afov. I do hanker after wider fov!

the dob mob is doing Ireland next year, you should pop along . hope you enjoy the 10 e, the 8e was always in my focuser on my 14 and calv loves it as well

Hi Mike,

Hey it would be great to meet the mob in person, and to see these wonderful 18" and 20" scopes. I'd be quite afraid that I'd end up crying into my pint of Guinness, as I try to figure out to fund a really big scope, and mourning the fact that I'll never be happy again with my liddle 15" :) Any ideas on what end of Ireland you might go?

Yeah I really dithered on the 8 vs 10mm. If I really get on with the Ethos, I would like to add the 13 and 8 in time.  A. very. long. time. My 7T6 has been a revelation in my bigger dob - great EP. I really very nearly went for the 9mm Nagler.

I have an Argo Navis unit (yeah, I know - cheating) mounted beside my Telrad and really like it there, but may have to move it and fashion a stalk as part of a balancing exercise. Mixing T6s and Ethoi is likely to be problematic for balance, I have to imagine, so I will have pick a route.  The 20ES100 is a monster weight... couldn't even think of barlowing/PM-ing, especially with a Paracorr too.

Archived