Tele Vue Discount ? (maybe, maybe not)

John

24 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Looks like the TV sale may be coming to an end - prices at the Widescreen Centre seem quite high - £305 for Nagler zoom for example. Plossl 15mm that was £60 in sale now up to £75. Telescope House prices still discounted, but for how long?

The Nagler 3-6 zoom was around £300 for some time (like a couple of years) before the sale.

What bugged me a bit about this sale was that it was supposed to be a 15% discount on many eyepiece lines so the Nagler 3-6 zoom (for example) ought to have been retailing for around £259.00 on the basis of a £305.00 regular price. TH have it "discounted" at £271. It will be interesting to see what TH's prices return to once the sale is over.

I'm probably just a bit sore because I was hoping to pick up an Ethos 3.7 for a fair bit under £400 but even with the sale it's still a fair bit over that :rolleyes2:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe in the US it is supposed to run until July 30th.  Whether that has any bearing over this side of the Atlantic is another question... I don't know how these things work.

Sterling vs Euro + TV discount = Temptation

2 hours ago, John said:

The Nagler 3-6 zoom was around £300 for some time (like a couple of years) before the sale.

What bugged me a bit about this sale was that it was supposed to be a 15% discount on many eyepiece lines so the Nagler 3-6 zoom (for example) ought to have been retailing for around £259.00 on the basis of a £305.00 regular price.

Didn't realise it was so expensive - glad I got mine at a far more affordable price. The Delites are now back over £200 at the Widescreen, and Delos £279. Other brands gone up too - most recent Vixens  over £300 a pop.

I bought a couple recently they were my first Televue eyepieces.

The TV 15mm Plossl for £60 seemed a good price from the Widescreen Centre.  Shortly after they put up the price.  Also, the 19mm Panoptic for £167 from Telescope House - this hands down is the best EP in my collection very well worth the money.  It corrects perfectly my 120ST and with marvellous colour reproduction.

Unfortunately Widescreen centre put their proces up verty quickly after the poundd went south thanks. The sale is still on but the prices are not so good anymore.

Owen

On 9 July 2016 at 19:27, obrazell said:

Unfortunately Widescreen centre put their proces up verty quickly after the poundd went south. The sale is still on but the p[rices are not so good anymore.

Owen

To be fair to TH they have maintained the sale prices throughout. They must have anticipated the brexit vote by putting the base prices up when the sale started some months back !

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at Telescope House the prices of Televue eyepieces are now even more eyewatering... :p  Even taking in to account the "sale prices" the price seems to have been hiked considerably.

An 11mm Nagler which I was considering (in the end I bought the ES82 11mm instead) cost £195 last week - Now it's £305!  Seems like pretty steep price increases across the board - The cheapest Ethos is now £560. Don't know if Widescreen Centre will follow suit soon...

1 hour ago, Davesellars said:

Looking at Telescope House the prices of Televue eyepieces are now even more eyewatering... :p  Even taking in to account the "sale prices" the price seems to have been hiked considerably.

An 11mm Nagler which I was considering (in the end I bought the ES82 11mm instead) cost £195 last week - Now it's £305!  Seems like pretty steep price increases across the board - The cheapest Ethos is now £560. Don't know if Widescreen Centre will follow suit soon...

Sounds like a rise bought on by exchange rate movements on top of the ending of the discount.

Now would be a killer time for ES to discount their 68, 82 and 100 degree eyepieces.

2 hours ago, Davesellars said:

Looking at the prices of the windscreen centre it looks if they already have.

Maybe it's time to see if FLO can get the televue range in and offer these eyepieces at realistic money. I am sure the members of SGL would soon be Customers ?

Crikey!  :eek: http://www.telescopehouse.com/eyepieces/televue-eyepieces/televue-zooms/televue-3-6mm-nagler-zoom-eyepiece-1-25.html While I was amongst the many feeling a little dubious about a authenticity of the 15% off sale I am none the less happy I took it on the chin when I did. I dare say Brexit hasn't helped these prices though and TV are going to have to work some sort of miracle if they don't want sales to suffer in the UK. I'm guessing used prices despite remaining steady over the years will at some point start to creep up.

1 hour ago, spaceboy said:

Crikey!  :eek: http://www.telescopehouse.com/eyepieces/televue-eyepieces/televue-zooms/televue-3-6mm-nagler-zoom-eyepiece-1-25.html While I was amongst the many feeling a little dubious about a authenticity of the 15% off sale I am none the less happy I took it on the chin when I did. I dare say Brexit hasn't helped these prices though and TV are going to have to work some sort of miracle if they don't want sales to suffer in the UK. I'm guessing used prices despite remaining steady over the years will at some point start to creep up.

Thats a whopping hike :shocked:

I very nearly clicked on the 3-6 zoom the night before last at £271 with the discount. I honestly don't need it so I managed to resist but seeing the new price makes me wonder.

I should have never have sold my last one and have still no real idea why I did? I can only assume I came home tipsy one night and didn't really contemplate what I was doing ? Having owned one previously I already knew I'd be more than happy with the zoom and given what the cost of 4 good quality eyepieces would have set me back the discount price although still eye watering wasn't that terrible given the versatility of the zoom. Current prices sure make me feel a lot better for doing it that's for sure :)

I've just been looking at the prices on a USA based dealers website. We seem to be back to prices in UK £'s that are around the same as those in $'s in the USA :dontknow:

I can't believe that the Ethos 21 is now an £800+ eyepiece :rolleyes2:

1 hour ago, Timebandit said:

Looking at the prices of the windscreen centre it looks if they already have.

Maybe it's time to see if FLO can get the televue range in and offer these eyepieces at realistic money. I am sure the members of SGL would soon be Customers ?

Aye, they were still at the "discounted" price this afternoon!  That was quick...

9 minutes ago, John said:

I've just been looking at the prices on a USA based dealers website. We seem to be back to prices in UK £'s that are around the same as those in $'s in the USA :dontknow:

I can't believe that the Ethos 21 is now an £800+ eyepiece :rolleyes2:

Well that certainly isn't right :huh2:. The £ may well have fell of it's perch but it certainly didn't fall in to the basement http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/currency I wonder why retailers are reflecting these prices. Maybe the whole 15% off was indeed a fix and give it a few months an the pre-discount price point with reappear as if like Magic. 

It doesn't seem overly equal.. I bought a 17mm delos, which has now gone up nearly £100, where as the 14mm seems to have gone up £60.. Obviously those increases are from the "discounted" prices.. But it seems certainty for delos and delite it's a one price fits all.. 

Quite crazy I would say.. I believe users will end up buying TV in the s/h market only or switch to other brands, ES in primis. 

..or maybe this increase in prices is only temporary until new deals with China, Commonwealth countries and the US are made?

5 minutes ago, Piero said:

Quite crazy I would say.. I believe users will end up buying TV in the s/h market only or switch to other brands, ES in primis. 

Yes I agree, when purchasing a TeleVue whether S/H, at discount and certainly at retail, was a fairly substantial financial commitment that may require a deep intake of breath. Now that sterling is highly vulnerable and relatively weak on global markets, perhaps particularly newcomers upgrading may be best going with other brands such as ES. (so long as their prices remain reasonable).  Fortunately I am very happy with my own TeleVue collection, only waiting for a much anticipated 4mm DeLite some time, if this was introduced into the line, the new costing could be quite an issue though.

Yup! I bet the cost for an ES eyepiece will also increase and possibly reach the previous cost of TV eyepieces. 

I have to say though that considering the cost of astronomical gear 18 years ago (I say 18 because it is when I have been "exposed to"/"shocked by" it), nowadays one can skip expensive brands and still get a very high quality eyepiece. Seriously, a BCO costs £50, an Vixen SLV for about £100. In their limited field of view, both these eps give a quality detail that equals (and to me possibly beats..) the much more expensive brands. 

TeleVue is good, very good, but I don't think its eyepieces are at the level of those prices, said frankly in my opinion. On the other hand, it seems many TeleVue owners have become rich over night! 

Oh man... my TV60 now costs.........£875.00 !!!  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  

No doubt it's a great little telescope, but com'on.. that's more than 3 times the cost of a SW Skyliner 200 F6!

Looking at a 2000 Telescope House catalogue (when it was based at Telescope House, London), the Tele Vue prices were:

8mm - 15mm Plossl = £69.95

20mm - 25mm Plossl = £82.00

32mm - 40mm Plossl = £95.00

55mm Plossl = £195.00

All Radians = £195.00

Panoptics range from £195.00 to £310.00 (35mm was the longest listed)

Naglers range from £155 to £385.99 (22mm was the longest listed)

Apparently culmulative inflation since 2000 works out at about 56%.

Archived