Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tele Vue Discount ? (maybe, maybe not)

John

Bottom left is a top choice :) A bit of luck with the weather, and you can't go wrong.

Kerry is deh kingdom! Ballinskelligs in the heart of the Dark Sky reserve is one of my most favourite spots for just camping on the sand dunes; gorgeous .  Is that where you guys are thinking of? There's a now annual star party there in late August - founded and run by some sound people - I was there one night last year and it was very friendly & welcoming:

http://skelligstarparty.com/

Don't miss a trip around the Skelligs if you are there! Truly mind blowing :)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not jealous at all. A gold tier dark sky reserve as a holiday? Nah, I'll stay in the Silver Tier...  :D:D:D

You guys are going to have an AWESOME time. Ireland is truly a magical place ... well, the rural and the wild west coast bits.   :)

52 minutes ago, Beulah said:

You guys are going to have an AWESOME time. Ireland is truly a magical place ... well, the rural and the wild west coast bits.   :)

If it's not tipping with rain as normally happens when we meet :D 

Well the 10E arrived :)

First impressions: Big.

Hope it won't bully my ever faithful 13T6, with its nearly-the-same-tfov, but 30% higher mag and ~2mm exit pupil...

Roll on August for some real darkness.  Will be testing on some planetary nebs though + globs ;)

IMG_20160603_200350.jpg

2 hours ago, John said:

Looks excellent. Shows nearly as much sky as your 13mm Nagler too. Adios Nagler soon, perhaps ? 

Shhhhh!

I feel disloyal to the 13T6 - my very first premium EP, and I've zero regrets buying it. The 10E will really have to prove itself or else it could be the one to go :) I wanted something between the 13T6 and my 7T6, and I very very nearly went for the 9T6. I'm apprehensive about balance issues now, and place high value on ease of use at the scope.  I picked up a 20ES100 for half price, and balance now needs to be addressed, and I also need to alter between 1.25"/2" adapters and Paracorr settings.  Just more fuss than desirable, tbh ... but the afov!  I thought I'd try a shorter Ethos at least once in my life and see how it goes.  I could very readily have gone for the 8mm, but I just feel I've wanted an option closer to 10mm.  Given how much I like and use the 13T6, the 10E seemed to make sense to try.

The danger is if I like it, and take the plunge to set the scope up for heavier EPs, then I'll probably hanker after 2 more Ethosusses. That's a serious investment vs say a Ha setup.

I very rarely buy EPs, so I've been hovering for months ?

12 minutes ago, niallk said:

The danger is if I like it......

That is a danger. As a former owner of a set of T6 Naglers I can attest to the level of risk that your bank account is now under :rolleyes2:

There is more to the Ethos than the 100 degree AFoV .......

Has been a while since I have looked at TV prices but weren't most of the T6 Naglers £225 ? It's hard to make out any 15% savings if that is the case. I think there is some sort of discount going on but doing things the way they have has gone to create some confusion to what advantages the discount has actually brought. I would have much preferred a coupon code at check out showing the actual savings similar to what Telescope House do with their 10% off weekends.

On 1.5.2016 at 15:50, John said:

TH said that it's 15% but their base prices seem to have suddenly risen by 10% almost overnight so the real saving is around 5%.

I Norway you can hang companies for setting up prices before announcing a discount. There is a public instance you can complain against that can fine companies.

3 hours ago, spaceboy said:

Has been a while since I have looked at TV prices but weren't most of the T6 Naglers £225 ? It's hard to make out any 15% savings if that is the case. I think there is some sort of discount going on but doing things the way they have has gone to create some confusion to what advantages the discount has actually brought. I would have much preferred a coupon code at check out showing the actual savings similar to what Telescope House do with their 10% off weekends.

That was what I was referring to in my opening posts in this thread:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/268948-tele-vue-discount-maybe-maybe-not/

As a keen follower of pricing I noticed that the prices of many TV items seem to have been hiked up a bit just before the 15% deal came into force. I reckon the true saving over the original prices is closer to 5%.

On 3.06.2016 г. at 22:31, jetstream said:

Great choice Nial, this eyepiece is outstanding for galaxy work among other things. Congrats!

Yes great choice this eyepiece is outstanding as is the 21mm, and the 17mm, err and the 13mm, golly and the 8mm, best not forget the 6mm as well. I don't know what the 4.7mm and the 3.7mm are like but my guess would be outstanding:happy5:.

2 hours ago, John said:

That was what I was referring to in my opening posts in this thread:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/268948-tele-vue-discount-maybe-maybe-not/

As a keen follower of pricing I noticed that the prices of many TV items seem to have been hiked up a bit just before the 15% deal came into force. I reckon the true saving over the original prices is closer to 5%.

Fwiw, I can definitely confirm that Telescope Service reduced their Ethos prices by -15% with respect to prices prior to the sale.  Naglers were already quite discounted, and no change in the 9T6 price, for example. Can't comment on other items in the range :)

6 hours ago, niallk said:

Fwiw, I can definitely confirm that Telescope Service reduced their Ethos prices by -15% with respect to prices prior to the sale.  Naglers were already quite discounted, and no change in the 9T6 price, for example. Can't comment on other items in the range :)

It was the Ethos 3.7mm that I was specifically monitoring. Prior to the deal the list price was something around £450 so I figured that the 15% reduction would take it down to around £383 but when I checked the TH website, on the same day that the discount was implemented, I find that they are discounted at £413.95 which implies that the undiscounted price would be now around £490.

I've been checking these prices at least daily for the last few months so I'm sure that I'm not imagining it.

21 minutes ago, John said:

It was the Ethos 3.7mm that I was specifically monitoring. Prior to the deal the list price was something around £450 so I figured that the 15% reduction would take it down to around £383 but when I checked the TH website, on the same day that the discount was implemented, I find that they are discounted at £413.95 which implies that the undiscounted price would be now around £490.

I've been checking these prices at least daily for the last few months so I'm sure that I'm not imagining it.

Hi John, sorry - my comment was for TS in Germany, not TH :) I only mentioned it as an example of the discount being applied in full, and I was monitoring the 17E - 6E range only tbh.

Apologies for any confusion,

-Niall 

8 minutes ago, Obsession 30 said:

Well the craving for new eyepiece finally took over and I ended up buying a few, thought the postage was good from Telescope House at £5.95 and they should be with me tomorrow, only need some good weather now, but the could take a while 

Congratulations :icon_biggrin:

What did you go for ?

4 minutes ago, Obsession 30 said:

After much debating I went with the 8 mm Ethos, also added a couple 15mm Plossl to go in the Binoviewer :icon_biggrin:

Good choice !

The 8mm Ethos is quite possibly my favourite from that range - absolutely superb eyepiece :icon_biggrin:

The plossls are great as well of course.

1 hour ago, John said:

Good choice !

The 8mm Ethos is quite possibly my favourite from that range - absolutely superb eyepiece :icon_biggrin:

The plossls are great as well of course.

Thanks, been going between the 6, 8 and 10, finally decided on the 8 and I am really looking forward to using it :icon_biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the TV sale may be coming to an end - prices at the Widescreen Centre seem quite high - £305 for Nagler zoom for example. Plossl 15mm that was £60 in sale now up to £75. Telescope House prices still discounted, but for how long?

Archived