Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi All

CobraDave

After spending some time reading through the forums I thought is was time I joined and said hi. I am looking to move my hobby of photography into  the astronomy field, but little experience of the skies. I am just reading Making Every Photon Count from FLO, and plan in joining my local club soon. Not looking to rush into buying my equipment as want to make the right choices that will last and let me expand over time, but I am sure I will be posting for some help and assurances over choices soon. So thanks in advance for your patience!

Welcome to the SGL.

I too own the same book, full of information. yet I'm not planning to venture too deeply with my Nikon just yet ! But the book equipment used is/was on my shopping list.

You will need to distance yourself  between normal photography and astrophotography,  as you will soon find out, especially when it comes to understanding  focal ratios regarding telescopes, there just not the same lol ?

Take your time and ask away, the books author resides here too, so no doubt you will get to chat at some stage with him.

I also own several books in the Philips series and the Mrs saw me looking at 'Astrophotography with Mark Thompson'  just before Christmas,  and  so one of her presents is now part of my book collection, although  I cant recommend it yet as I have not fully had the chance  read it, but I find all the books in the series very helpful.

There's so much information available now, that it shouldn't be too hard to find what your after, but if you like the fact that others have already made the mistakes that your not aware of just yet,  that alone makes it a little easier to decide on your intentions before you do the damage, cost wise or task wise!

Enjoy your time here.

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I will certainly have a look at some of the other books as well. You know you are going to have a deep learning curve when you are reading the 'beginners' book and every so often you have to go and looks things up on google to try and fully understand them! You tube has also been a great help as well, but making every photon count has already been a great help and I am only half way through!

I have a decent shortlist of options built up for kit so far, which I want to gradually purchase as I go through the learning phase. Main issue will be how much I spend on the essentials in the early days with out going overboard but also not buying stuff I may need to replace after the first year. So I will testing some of this out over the next weeks on the forum for views. Look forward to receiving your advice ?

Dave

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. Good idea to take your time where equipment purchasing is concerned, after all the stars aren't going any place soon so plenty of time to do the necessary research. Please don't hesitate to ask any question as the need arises as there is plenty of experience here to help you on your astro journey.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Archived