NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from Bristol

Swamp Donkey

Hi all, my wife and I have been gazing skyward as long as we care to remember. Living just outside a large city does present some challenges but there are some surprisingly good sites not too far away and also a couple of friendly clubs nearby. We are currently looking to upgrade our equipment from a 90mm refractor on a knackered AzEl mount to something a bit more functional. There are a couple of questions but I keep those for another thread in the appropriate forum.

Hi and welcome to both of you to this forum. Lots of information here for you to digest along with a lot of experience that many here are willing to share as and when you need it.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Thanks for the warm welcome, looks like there are a few "locals" on here and some from across the great divide (Severn Bridge). We'll need to exchange some knowledge of observing sites and any local (ish) events.

Hello from Portishead, not so far from you I guess.

Bristol Astronomical Society run regular public viewing events at Tyntesfield House (N Trust) a few miles SW of Bristol and also more informal at their observatory not far from there.

We ran one on Tuesday this week as it happens :smiley:

Apologies if you already know about the above !

Apart from the BAS events I observe mostly from my back garden dodging conifers, neighbours houses and the odd street light or too. With a bit of planning I can still see a fair amount though :smiley:

Hope you enjoy the forum and the hobby !

Hello from Portishead, not so far from you I guess.

Bristol Astronomical Society run regular public viewing events at Tyntesfield House (N Trust) a few miles SW of Bristol and also more informal at their observatory not far from there.

We ran one on Tuesday this week as it happens :smiley:

Apologies if you already know about the above !

Apart from the BAS events I observe mostly from my back garden dodging conifers, neighbours houses and the odd street light or too. With a bit of planning I can still see a fair amount though :smiley:

Hope you enjoy the forum and the hobby !

Hi John, closer than you think, we are in Avonmouth. We have been to the BAS observatory a few months ago and met one or two BAS members. very friendly bunch and some nice kit. Did the farmer get his light fixed?  We'll need to try and get to one of the Tyntesfield events in the near future, I see one is scheduled for next week. The weather forecast doesn't look to promising though.

Archived