Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi there from Cookstown, N. Ireland

MIDIManNI

Hi everyone...

My name is Ivan and I live in Sandholes, Cookstown, N. Ireland in a nice "dark skies" area...

I am 54 years young and will never grow up!

Have been into Astronomy since School but only recently purchased some "decent" kit (I am led to believe!).

Scope: Celestron NexStar 6SE with the GoTo Handset

Additional: Celestron GPS Kit, Deben Tracer External Battery

FinderScope: Celestron 9 X 50 RACI and a 5mW Green Laser Pointer Scope

Eyepieces: 6mm, 10mm, 17mm and 25mm Plossl and a 2X Barlow and Skywatcher 90° Erecting Prism

Filters: Seymour Solar, Celestron Red #25, Blue #80A, Moon Filter, Explore Scientific CLS Filter

Camera: Opticstar PX-125C

Been out almost every evening - weather permitting and have seen some amazing sights and enjoyed every minute of it!

My wife and 3 daughters also seem to be interested so it was all worth it.

Regards

Ivan Flack

Cookstown, N. Ireland

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ivan,

Welcome to SGL!

I'm another NI man with decent skies. Your 6SE will give you some nice views that's for sure. 

If you can, try and bag some of the late summer objects over the next few weeks before they slip off below the western horizon for another season. If you have a good view to the south, then try for the Swan and Omega nebulae. Also go for M13 in Hercules (globular cluster) which will be sitting high to the west after dusk.

There are not many planet observing opportunities at the moment unless you enjoy the silly hours - which I don't!

Of course I'm making an exception to that rule tonight to view the total eclipse of the moon - weather permitting of course!

Hi Greg

Nice to see another NI skywatcher...

Looking forward to the Moon tonight myself.

My sister lives down the road from you in Aghalee and my Mum & Dad are over near Meghaberry.

Was looking at the Sun today (with a filter fortunately!) and it is very impressive!

Ivan

Archived