Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi! New and really excited to have found this forum

cosmickatie

Hello!

My name is Katie and I have just come across this forum from looking at Clear Outside for information about tonights cloud cover.

I basically have been looking forward to seeing the Perseids meteor shower for the last three months, it's my favourite cosmic event and I have been extolling it's virtues right left and centre to anyone who will listen. Last year I saw 17 beautiful shooting stars.

So, this year, as it approached I've done everything I can to find an astronomy group or even one individual person who has anywhere near the same level of interest and excitement about it, and I have failed. The last two nights I have been out on my own, and seen one or two but the cloud has been heavy over the south east.

I am really pleased to have found this forum, but also a little scared about posting because I am going to come across as an extreme amateur! I don't have a telescope, I'd absolutely love the chance to have a look through one especially at Saturn which I have seen through a telescope before and thought it was so, so beautiful. There doesn't seem to be anyone around me or even in my town that has much interest in these things though, I eve posted on our local Facebook group if anyone wanted to come and watch the shower with me. 

Here's another space fact about me - I am trying to bring back the use of the word COSMIC to describe things that are a little out of this world and exciting and magical. I have a hashtag and everything #bringbackcosmic.

So, hi. I hope this was an okay first message!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Katie and welcome to SGL :)

You'll find many enthusiasts and scientists on SGL and I'm sure you'll find a local astronomy group near you - we're all over the country lol. Yes the weather for tonight looks iffy - but you're nearer the south than I so you have more chance with the Perseids tonight than I do.

You don't have to have fantastic loads of gear to enjoy astronomy - there's many things to see naked eye - and if you have an old pair of binocs lying around try pointing them at the moon for starters - you'll be surprised. Have fun :)

Welcome, Katie. You'll have fun, I'm sure.

Post away - the Loungers are a friendly bunch. Except for a couple who may come across as Mr Grumpy, now and again ... :evil:

I am not a couple.  I've just got big bones!

Welcome, Katie.  You're far from the only one who doesn't have a telescope.  Even I don't have a telescope.  I have, err, ummm, quite a few :D

James

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. Lots of interesting topics on here to keep you going and please do not be afraid to ask questions. That's what we are here for, to help each other out. Good luck tonight. I will be meteor watching too, if the clouds permit.

Hi, welcome to SGL,

If you're an extreme amataur then you're in the right place :) There are hundreds maybe thousands of people fanatical about any and every aspect of astronomy you can think of here.

Enjoy!

As you know (from my thread)  i'm a newbie too!

As you don't have a scope yet then follow my posts with my experience of my newly acquired Skyliner 150p, I know very little about this stuff but this scope comes highly recommended as a starter scope.

You'll probably just see me asking all sorts of problematic questions across the forum!

Hi Katie and welcome to the forum.

I'm a bit of a Perseid fanatic, too, and usually spend a couple of nights in the garden on my sun-lounger watching for the meteors overhead. This year, sadly, the weather hasn't played along very well :( As you've already found out, you don't necessarily need a telescope to enjoy astronomy. Meteors, constellations, satellites and various other things are best viewed with just the naked eye.

Anyway, enjoy the forum.

Simon.

Archived