Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your Frac

WO-FL-2.jpg

Wo-Frist-Light-2.jpg

Its first night outside. William Optics 102GT with Flat6 Borg mini50 guidescope. Haven't gotten to use it much 27 straight days of rain after it arrived :) Had it out last night but the wind was just too much so I packed up early. Its in the 90's now when the sun sets here so the DSLR is super noisy. Saving up for a CCD and filters.

Griz

• Like 8

Nice scopes you have there Roberto, I'm looking to upgrade mine, the Astro Physics scope would be on my list if my budget went that far.....you have set me off wanting one...must resist. :evil:

Really nice picture of the scope though (and the mount).

Any more fracs anyone? Come on don't be shy!

Clear Skies,

Fondofchips.

Edited by fondofchips

This one has gone to a new home now. It's a really great scope but a back injury has forced me to let it go. It's an Istar 6 inch F/12 achromat. The mount in the photo is an EQ6 mount on a Meade Giant Field tripod. Around 120 lbs all up weight and the top end of the scope was getting on for 9 feet from the ground when pointing towards the zenith area :shocked:

post-118-0-74576900-1434133724_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

I can't help but admire the turning on the Moonrakers. Roberto, yours is beautiful! What is that a 3.5" focuser?

I really like the look of the Moonraker Rocket 4" f/11. I was wondering if this has the same optics as the Starwave, Lyra Optics, and TS 4" f/11's ?

Hi Chris

Apologies for the late reply...the focuser of the Moonraker was a 3" Revelation R&P unit that Mark adapted for me. Mine is a custom made model around a triplet lens made by Roland Christen of Astro-Physics in the late 80s. Works beautifully as a wide field and solar scope.

Cheers

Roberto

• Like 1

I must be one of the few people not to admire the moonrakers, just dont like the look of them

I feel a bit the same, they're beautiful pieces of engineering but they look too nice to be out at night. Wouldn't mind one as a conversation piece in my library though (if I had a library)

Edited by Dave Lloyd
  • Like 1

I must be one of the few people not to admire the moonrakers, just dont like the look of them

Bit too shiny for me... I'd take a black or maybe white skylight any day... If I ever won the lottery!

• Like 1

I hate this thread. It's not right that a man in his mid 40's should be salivating over optics!

I'm gonna own a frac that's shinny, Gucci, etc etc. No mincing around with after market this that and how's yer father, nor collimating, cool down procedures or dew control. Just the "Apollo Program" attitude of no nonsense "get it done" scope!

Bring back the memories of why I started. A Tasco 60mm frac and a look at the moon followed by Jupiter. A 10 year olds dream

• Like 4

Yep , theirs a lot to be said for that. I remember as a six year old having a look at the craters on the moon through my eldest brothers Prinz Telescope, back in (about) 1970. That too must have been a 60mill refractor. Cheers mark.

• Like 1

A mates Prinz 60mm frac was the 1st scope I ever viewed through. Spent a month studying and drawing Jupiter with it back in the early 1970's. Eventually I saved up enough to get my own 60mm, a 1960's Tasco one. These sound puny scopes but the optics were decent and a 6" newtonian or 3" refractor would have been way beyond my paper round means. Saw my 1st galaxies through it, 1st Saturn (we never forget those do we ?) and split my 1st double with it. Enough to set me on a path which I'm still plodding along 40 years later ! :rolleyes2:

• Like 5

Bit too shiny for me... I'd take a black or maybe white skylight any day... If I ever won the lottery!

Skylights are my preference in style also, albeit I do like the candy apple red and brass versions that Richard does. 

I do very much like the Rocket model from Moonraker as it's relatively subtle, although it is still metallic red which although I appreciate some might find it a bit loud, I love :)

Each to their own I guess :)

• Like 1

I do like the candy apple red and brass versions that Richard does

I love those too, but can't help thinking that the red would clash too much with the green in my TeleVues :lol:

• Like 3

I love those too, but can't help thinking that the red would clash too much with the green in my TeleVues :lol:

Nah it would be good, green and red are nice traditional Christmas colours, they definately go together :)

Or you could switch to ES Eyepieces  :evil:  ;)

• Like 1

New - or possibly newly rejoined after a ten year break I think. I saw a post about the Tak FS-152 and the fact that there are only about 10 in the UK. Well there is one more ! I brought one back from the US a few years ago. It has been unused for most of the last few years as the weather is very different to the US and I have been promising myself thatpost-45168-0-27082600-1434210623_thumb.j I would build a small observatory to avoid lugging the Tak and an AP900 mount in and out of the house. The photo shows the Tak on the AP 900 as used in the US with dew-heaters, and a 66mm Astroc Tech guide scope with Orion Star Shoot autoguider. The saddle is a laminated plate I made up using two layers of alloy bonded by a very strong epoxy to reduce warp and heat distortion in the hot US nights. I use a DSLR for imaging, adapted for astronomy (IR filter removed). I sometimes have a Tak FS-102 piggybacked on the larger Tak for viewing as well as imaging.

• Like 7

Here's my latest acquisition - picked it up yesterday!! :grin: . I was unexpectedly offered this absolutely as new Bresser AR127L OTA complete with the following:

-Good quality - and I MEAN good quality 2" solid alumium diagonal with compression fittings and THREE retaining screws at 120 deg spacings 

-Really nice illuminated 8x50 finderscope

-Really nice Bresser 25mm wide angle eyepiece (2" fit)

-Excellent Meade 5000 HD 60 32mm wide angle eyepiece

The scope honestly does look like new and is only 8 months old. I was lucky that it was one of the versions of this scope that did come with good quality accessories - I know some of them had rubbish diagonals etc.

Hope you like the pics - I'll do a proper first light once I've had a chance to check her out. The lens coatings look superb and the cell is fully collimateable. Some of the pics show a comparison with my Tal 100RS for size - the AR127L is much bigger, but very manageable on my upgraded CG-5 :p

Dave

post-4043-0-22932000-1434296590_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-14196600-1434296601_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-43107900-1434296611_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-67943900-1434296620_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-44846200-1434296643_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-12701500-1434296652_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-86235600-1434296671_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-67893100-1434296709_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-82755300-1434296720_thumb.jp

• Like 6

That looks excellent Dave :smiley:

I'll be very interested to hear how it performs for you. I've been eyeing up those for a while now, having owned the earlier version (with the shorter dew cap and dark grey trim) a few years back and enjoyed it. You certainly get a lot of good looking scope for your money !

I wish people would unexpectedly offer me nice scopes :rolleyes2:

• Like 2

I wish people would unexpetedly offer me nice scopes :rolleyes2:

Well I was very fortunate to be offered one as my first scope by Dave (F15rules) and here it is: -

That Bresser looks awfully tempting Dave....... :grin:
Clear Skies,
Fondofchips.
  • Like 2

Here's my latest acquisition - picked it up yesterday!! :grin: . I was unexpectedly offered this absolutely as new Bresser AR127L OTA complete with the following:

-Good quality - and I MEAN good quality 2" solid alumium diagonal with compression fittings and THREE retaining screws at 120 deg spacings 

The scope honestly does look like new and is only 8 months old. I was lucky that it was one of the versions of this scope that did come with good quality accessories - I know some of them had rubbish diagonals etc.

Hope you like the pics - I'll do a proper first light once I've had a chance to check her out. The lens coatings look superb and the cell is fully collimateable. Some of the pics show a comparison with my Tal 100RS for size - the AR127L is much bigger, but very manageable on my upgraded CG-5 :p

Dave

Nice looking scope Dave, i am a little surprised to see you have another 100rs

• Like 1

Great scope, this lookes the same optical tube assembly as my Opticstar 127 mil refractor. Even the lens coating is the same green hue colour. What focal ratio is it?? . Mine is F 1200 f9.5. I have had some great views of the moon and Jupiter. Not much else due to sky conditions. Cheers . Mark

Dave

Looks great Dave :) I was a bit slow off the mark when one of these came up for sale in my home town the other week so missed it :(

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it and how it performs?

Looks a beast!