Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

In trouble with the wife already!

sargey

Well Sargey. Have you explained to the wife that in the UK there are more cloudy nights than clear nights and that your observing nights will be a very small percentage of the overall year. She will have many evenings with you under her feet. Give it a couple of months and she won't be able to wait for clear skies.

Enjoy.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe the deceit from you people!!! Not telling the wife about ordering new scopes, putting your viewing sessions / research in front of her need for company while watching TV, questioning her ability to always be correct...about everything! Shame on all of you.

My wife is very understanding, luckily for me, and often encourages me to go outside when I'd otherwise just slump on the sofa. Really glad she does :). Only thing is she really loves the moon and is constantly hogging the eyepiece when its up! She'll also come out to look at Saturn, Jupiter and the Pleiades and loves colour-differetiated doubles (Albireo is her fav). She can separate Alcor/Mizar with the naked eye too (something I struggle with). She is not very cold tolerant though, so at least I get to get some telescope time to myself when its freezing ;)

Well, after 26 years of marriage and 5 years of "courting" I've got a good knowledge of the rules of the road.

But spending time with the wife usually means watching her watching telly. Luckily someone invented laptops and mobile devices so at least I don't have to find reasons to sneak upstairs so I can get on the internet on the desk top machine in the office. "What have you gone up there for?"

And even after 26 years she still turns on the kitchen and outside light and opens the back door shouting "what are you doing out here!?". Wondering why I look like a startled rabbit.

Never mind. It never gets dark round here anyway..

:D

just told the good lady that i wont be going out with the telescope this evening and that i will be staying in doors with her. :angel:

(not quite sure when to tell her, that part 2 of future learns moon course has just started..... wheres the headphones)  :evil:

Funny being one of the few astronomers who is too young to have a wife!

Still, parents are just as bad...  :tongue:

David

It's strange - my wife is very tolerant of my slightly antisocial hobby, and will on occasion join me for a glance down the telescope.

My mother on the other hand used to think it was a complete pain in the neck. Sometimes I'd ask her if I she'd rather I took drugs and set fire to phone boxes like the other deliquants at school...

DD

Reminds me when I purchased my 8" orion skyview pro , was around christmas,, My thoughts were she will just think it is a gift i ordered for someone. However the FEDx driver help bring it into the house, he knew things...... told her to handle it gently, it looks like it may be a telescope., Yep wife was setting next to it when i got home. Have a great wife we both laught about it, I never order nothing now without telling her first, lol.

I ordered my wife a [digital] piano a few years ago as a total surprise. I figured I'd be home when the delivery guy got there and could be all nonchalant about it. But I was at work when he came and tells my wife "HEY I THINK I GOT A PIANO HERE FOR YA!" [it was a blank box so she wouldn't have known, I order stuff all the time] and my wife calls and says "did you order a piano?".

Bummer! She loved it regardless. 

It's strange - my wife is very tolerant of my slightly antisocial hobby, and will on occasion join me for a glance down the telescope.

My mother on the other hand used to think it was a complete pain in the neck. Sometimes I'd ask her if I she'd rather I took drugs and set fire to phone boxes like the other deliquants at school...

DD

Hi if your mum has a pain in the neck using the scope would. a RACI Finder help !

I found the secret to unlimited "hobbying" a few years ago and it works every time irrespective of the pastime.

Get the kids involved - that way it's always sanctioned by her indoors.

astronomy - my daughters into it so OK'd by my boss

playing golf and golf holidays - my son plays so OK'd by my boss

building a kit car - good practical experience for my son so OK'd by my boss

You get the idea.

Even better if you don't have your own (very expensive to run) kids you could foster one; that way you'll get paid by the government for "astronomising" and then you hand them back.

• 3 weeks later...

While my husband and I were at Jodrell Bank on Thursday evening last week, ( a fabulous talk given by Prof Ian Morison), we met three great young blokes who were very enthusiastic (in an expensive sort of way !!!) about their hobby.

The subject of '... getting stuff past their wives' came up. One of the men said 'It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission when it comes to buying expensive hobby stuff'.

My husband has decided to adopt this as his new mantra.

The new scope arrives next week!!!!

The wife "you have been out there ages"

Me " no I have not"

The wife "you must have been absolutely freezing out there"

Me "no I wasnt"

The wife "you will end up with man flu again"

Me "no I wont"

The wife " well you must be stupid"

Me " no I'm not"

The wife "you want to spend more time with that blumming telescope than you do with me"

Me " well at least we agree on something my dear"

LOL

If she shares ur sense of humor then you'll be fine, otherwise not  ;)

lies will always catch you up....sneaking about behind someone you loves back aint playin ball...think about it?....reverse the role...

Fair point but I think it's all very light hearted. My wife very rarely moans about my astronomy habits, she would much prefer me in the garden playing with a scope then down the pub getting plastered. I always tell her when I've brought new kit (after I've ordered it) and she simply smiles then goes off and orders some new shoes or clothes.

Oh, she did moan the other week when I concreted a pole in her flower bed for my new weather station, but she'll grow to love it given time (and some new shoes).    

Archived