SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

In trouble with the wife already!

sargey

Yes this stargazing and wife malarkey is a thing of skill, it takes a few seasons to hone them lol

When it's clear and I want to go out (once she's asleep), I pre warn her in the evening first with the now well known phrase "I'm warning you now". She's learnt to know exactly what that means :D

When my daughter was first born, I didn't know go out with the scope at all for the first 5 months (I like my testes where they are).

Now as long as I take my mobile phone out with me and the baby video monitor, it's been less stormy going out with the scope.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My conversations with my wife post-session usually go something like this:

Mrs Dangerous: "Did you have fun?"

Me: "Oh yes, it was really clear, found a new planetary nebula, took in Jupiter..."

Mrs Dangerous: "That's nice. Can I have a cup of tea?"

Me: "....... Yes dear..."

Very occasionally she comes out to look down the telescope and comment that whatever I'm looking at is "Just a fuzzy blob."

I love my wife very much.

DD

More congratulations for finding Andromeda! (and for having a sky dark enough to make it *worth* finding, grumble grumble)

My other half is reasonably understanding but generally draws the line at actually looking through a scope. The only things that will reliably bring her to the eyepiece are 1. a well-known ringed planet, and 2. any fairly bright planetary nebula. Yes you heard that right. No I don't know why either. :)

I have not got one of those wifely things. I don't think they would put up with me being

out all night with the scope. The money I have spent :eek: on scopes.2.3k last summer.

Would I prefer a wife or a scope. Tough one that. The scope don't keep you warm @

night, or cook your meals. Does give one a lot of pleasure though, with out bending

your ear all the time. :argue: About evens. :icon_mrgreen: in the end. :happy7:   :biggrin:

Steve.

Guess I am quite lucky in this respect. The wife knows that stargazing relieves the stresses of everyday life for me, so she is pretty happy for me when I go observing.

It's not her thing at all, but she is fully supportive of my hobby. Also helps that the daughter (10 yo) is slowly getting into it as well.

The only thing to remember when dealing with women is...

...no matter where you are or what you are doing she is always right and you are always wrong.

Do bears S%i$ in woods? Of COURSE they are always right. This is the secret to a happy marriage, along with the ability of least resistance to the path from one ear to the other when the wife has a mind of telling you her opinion on matters...

Congrats on your first Andromeda viewing.

Your conversation is very similar to one of the first I had with my better half, but after a few years they get used to it. Mine looks out at night for herself now so that she knows in advance if I will be disappearing for a few hours, dont even have to tell her :-) .

We still have the you must be mad comments when you come in with frost on your eyebrows ....

Then thats the time to discuss an observatory with her.....

Good luck and clear skies .....

Many men are down the pub most nights and/or chasing other women, Astronomy is high up on the "lesser evils" list.  :grin:

Considering one of my "hobbies" a few years ago was a Ducati, which I nearly got myself killed on one crisp January morning, my other hobbies (Home Cinema and Astronomy) are highly acceptable to my wife - I'm either sitting in the cinema room downstairs, in the garden, or with her..... and the phrase "well, I could always spend the money on a new bike" is a great bargaining tool when looking at the catalogue of "shiny things"  :grin:

Archived