Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet Lovejoy Q2

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went out tonight and used the 135mm lens, cold cold hands. Managed only 10 second subs tonight but that is 10 seconds more than 1.
Highlights, well not the haze cloud but a large bird flew close overhead the flap of the wings made me think owl and I think I got an iridian flare as no plane lights on zooming in but a solid line.

Slight crop and resize of the image, time was 21:19

post-28282-0-44823100-1425508138.png

Had a quick look tonight and despite less than perfect conditions - near full moon and thin cloud, he's still there. Certainly been good value; long lasting and clearly visible in dark skies. Given a lot of pleasure to a lot of people. Well done Lovejoy Q2. Wonder when the next one will be?

Aye Kerry,

still above mag 8, and heading in the general direction of NGC 475,

I have Q2, NGC 475, X-Cass and Ruchbah all in the Same 15 x 70 feild of view at Present.

If I look at the same place each night it will take until the 16th to leave the FOV near to Ruchbah !

I'm on a couse in Highcliffe-Dorset all next week so the 15x70s are coming with me.

I was thinking yesterday about all the exitement waiting for it to rise out of Columba into Lepus back at Christmas, and here

we are still watching it scoot across the star-fields two and a half months and  the best part of 100 degrees of sky later.

.......and still loving Lovejoy.

Mick.

Hoping to get a good view of it through my new family Ethos EPs tonight :grin:

Very clear here but quite windy so not expecting fantastic seeing and the Moon will no doubt take its toll later this evening but will hopefully get some good views of the Moon and Jupiter of nothing else.

I had a quick look through my 12" Dob. It was quite clear before the Moon came up and I could see two bright points at the centre so presumably it was passing in front of a star.

I'm about to give up for the night. The seeing is awful and the Moon is now washing everything out.

Just been trying to get more tail on tonights pic' and found this little patch of nebulosity, can't find it on any charts, could be a bit of outlying Heart and Soul but a long way off.

Dave

post-21198-0-55522600-1425771872_thumb.j

Nice ones Dave. I found the seeing was pretty mushy last night too. Had a peak at GRS later on but was a bit of a struggle.

Looks like on Tuesday Lovejoy passes within a degree of the Owl Cluster. Might make a good imaging opportunity if it's clear?

869224d6cc0c525898081916ff91f257.jpg

Just been trying to get more tail on tonights pic' and found this little patch of nebulosity, can't find it on any charts, could be a bit of outlying Heart and Soul but a long way off.

Dave

attachicon.gifLovejoy-07-03-15-nebula.jpg

It's on your 1st photo too, nothing in Uranometria nearer than planetary sh2-188 about 2.5 degrees away.............

It's Davey-T's Voorwerk !

Mick

Excellent clear sky here this evening and into the night. A quick scan with the 10 x 50's soon picked up this little gem.

I decided to set the scope up and have a proper look. The first time it's been set up this year and my first telescopic view of Q2.

My home sky is permanently wiped out by light pollution so wasn't sure how much more than the the bins the 10" Newt would show.

It was certainly easier to see and the green colour was detectable but no sign of a tail or elongation. Just a pity about the light pollution. I bet it's still lovely in a dark sky.

Well, I've already had two "last views" of this enduring visitor! I wonder if tonight really is my last view?

Perhaps not... :) 

I had a great view of it earlier this evening with my 12" Dob and 21mm Ethos before the Moon rose. It was lovely to see it so clearly in such a wide field of stars. I just had another look and couldn't even find it as that part of the sky is now totally washed out by LP and the Moon :sad:

I'm going to SGLX so looking forward to seeing it from a darker site than I have here, and with no Moon!.

Dave

attachicon.gifLovejoy-07-03-15-nebula.jpg

Dave, I've just seen this identified on someone else's image on FB.

It is Simeis 22 or the Dolphin nebula apparently. It shows up if you google it. One example here:

http://www.astrobin.com/22815/

Stu

Im guessing last night wasnt such a washout afterall - saw this last night in Cassiopeia during my frustrating attemps with the dob. When I checked my guides I couldnt find anything listed in the position I saw the main body. Will definitely be looking again tonight now that I know its there (doh !)

Gosh, I thought this would be long gone by now, but it's still putting on a nice show reading this thread. I must have another look but the new job is severely cutting into the Astro time.....I'm knackered!

Nice to hear of the Dolphin Nebula. Clear skies :)

Cloudy tonight but it may clear up wee hours.

I have been watching it approach Ruchbah with my 15x70s from Highcliffe-Dorset when the sky was not too hazy.

be a pity to miss it as it wizzes past it

Mick

Archived