NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Comet Lovejoy Q2

Lucie Green on SG Live last night said Lovejoy was hard to see in Normal Bonoculars....

Wtching it glide away north from Ruchbah, It's not even mag 8 yet and still completely obvious in 7 x 50s and the 15x70s. 

Mind you she does look at the Sun a lot, that would probably be bad for your night vision.

mick

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lovejoy did look great from Lucksall on the couple of occasions I pointed my scope at it during SGLX. It was very obvious in my 50mm finder and I reckon I picked it up briefly when I tried Mark at Beaufort's 2.1x42 Vixen "rich field" binoculars.

I hadn't had a look at this one for ages. And assumed that it had given all that it had to give. That was until visitor to my scope at SGLX last night suggested a look whilst we were playing with eyepieces. A great view.

A bit later I had a look at it through an ethos clad 16".

Deep Happiness.

Paul

Got back from hospital yesterday with a chunk taken out of my scalp so was not really in as fine a "fettle"

as I would have to be to carry the scope out, but looked up to Caseopia with the 15x70s between the clouds

Q2 was still bright enough and big enough to be obvious as it pulls northward away from Ruchbah. It must be

dying down in activity now, but it is not fading too fast just at the moment and looks to still be better than Mag 8.

It should remain visible in a scope at least early April, Its 5th Calendar month.  Superb

Mick

I guess I'd be struggling from home with 10 x 50's now.

Got a look with the 10" newt yesterday evening while the Moon was still bright but before Cassiopeia headed down into the worst of the skyglow.

I wouldn't normally follow comets down to those sorts of magnitudes but Lovejoy is a special case! :)

Got the bins and the scope on it last night as it cleared nicely after 19:30.

Still looks good, with the diffuse outer halo condensing to a tiny bright spot in the middle.

The rear end seems to be spreading back a little giving a tear-drop effect where earlier it was mainly circular with the thin tail(s)

reaching back from that.

Did not have a lot of time observing it as it was nose-diving behind the rooftops to the north along with the rest of Casseopia.

It's heading for the triangle involving 32 and 35 cass, and should make a nice little rhomboid with them by tis evening.

Mick

I think that will be me nearly out with this comet. What a great ride it has been.

Just been outside with our 8 x 42 I can just about make it out with averted vision.

The sky is weird it is amazingly still there are no star wobbles anywhere the Moon is looking stunning and there is a complete Moon (Earth shine?) in the binoculars and looks just fab. But I can't see very many stars at all. Casseopia normally is bursting with stars but tonight hardly anything. Is the Mooon having that much impact?

I hope I was finding the comet and not just any old star. Coming inside and looking in Stellarium it looks to be in the same position as I was seeing what I am thinking was it.

Had a quick look earlier with 110 refractor while messing about trying to get PHD to cooperate and it still looks good, nice fuzzy blue/green blob.

Have just now succeeded in getting SSAG to work in PHD 1, it was a driver and ASCOM Com port problem, no wonder I couldn't get it to work at SGLX, just hope it works next time I turn it on. Will try PHD2 now :)

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Here we are in Mid April and Q2 is still there to be seen in big bins.

Getting a little fainter now that its heading up out of the Main W asterism. Will slide past Comet Swan

in a few days. I have Been watching this little monster since Christmas day, through 5 Calendar Months and

Nearly 4 actual solid months of Obs.

Got the scope on it last night and it is still looking like there is plenty of activity as the central brightness is very small

but the halo is still pretty extensive.

Some Comet this,  Mick

Just had a look in 8x42 and it is super faint now and only wih averted vision if I had not been following it I doubt I would be able to pick it out.

Saw 4 bats fly over my head and picked up a satelite and a peek at a few obvious bits and bobs and Jupiter.

Bins are so easy to just go look with my telescope has not been out for a while now, I think I would use my ST80 if it were here though.

Just been out with the 15x70s and it is still good from here, heading up past 50 cass.

Last night I had the scope on it and the tiny false-nucleus looked pretty bright, and the halo

is still quite extensive though dimming slightly all the time.

Venus is looking good near a crescent moon too.

Mick

Archived