Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

messier`s with a maksutov

nightfisher

Just a bit of fun, but i got to thinking "what Messier" objects could easily be viewed with a 150 mak?

obviously luna and planets, M31 M42 M45, so lets have your suggestions please, bear in mind i can get the magnification down to just over x42 using a 42mm 2" EP, lets leave out the really hard/faint ones and just go for the ones that a person would look and easily recognize  

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll get around a 1.5 degree field of view with that Jules, enough for most things!

Double Cluster should look pretty nice

d9650b0414005141019e529888483a12.jpg

Give NGC457 in Cassiopeia a go too, very nice open cluster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd assume that as Messier saw them all in a small refractor , 4" aperture was his largest I believe , you'd get them all in a 150mm Mak ... ?

Thing is when Charles Messier did his thing, light pollution was near non existent compared to modern living, last year i tried the Leo triplet in the mak and it just was not there and that was at a very good dark sky 

Globs will be great at higher power as said. Dumbbell neb should be ideal too, quite bright and not too big.

f0cb3bca60c12ed88b0b79e2db4e9a0e.jpg

Btw, I know neither of my two initial suggestions for 'messiers' were Messiers!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a Messier (as I was surprised to just find out, but you are including the moon and planets!!!) but the Double Cluster in Perseus (not Cass as I was again surprised to find out!!!) is a nice view

Also, cannot forget the M57 Ring nebula and the M15 cluster

The Dumbell and Leo Triplet are pretty easy here with a 5" Mak........so I would go with the view that all of Messier's catalogue are do-able, plus many more! LP may be worse these days, at least in some locations, but optics are so much better!

Chris

All boils down to your light pollution. From where I live only the brightest ones. M57,M27,M31,M81,M82,M13,M92,M17,M15 are the ones that spring to mind . Some you may need very good conditions,  but still visible with light pollution, such as M51. Of course a very good sky and most if not all would be visible.

I was out two nights ago with the 150mm mak and 40mm Maxvision ep. Managed to bag the double cluster, m52, m57, m27, m13 but for some really strange reason couldn't find m31 eve though I know where to look!

I didn't have a rdf though so that's my excuse :-)

Certainly observed the Leo triplet galaxies (M65, M66...) with MAK150.

The open clusters in Auriga (M35, 36, 37) with previous MAK127...

Aside: Split the double double with (much missed) MAK90. :)

Have often pondered a MAK102 as a right-sized, ultra-portable scope.

Perhaps not too different from SPM's fabled "3-inch refractor"? 

(Presumably slowish achromat, back in them days?) ;)

Certainly observed the Leo triplet galaxies (M65, M66...) with MAK150.

The open clusters in Auriga (M35, 36, 37) with previous MAK127...

Aside: Split the double double with (much missed) MAK90. :)

Have often pondered a MAK102 as a right-sized, ultra-portable scope.

Perhaps not too different from SPM's fabled "3-inch refractor"? 

(Presumably slowish achromat, back in them days?) ;)

I recently bought the vixen 110, but it was a 2 horse race as i also considered the 102 mak, had one of these a while back and it was a nice scope that i wish i had kept 

on a decent night at a decent site you'd be able to see (or at least detect) all of the Messiers you look at.

if you are ever over my way (or fancy popping over for PSP - plenty of room in my tent if you are travelling light) then I'll show you a few. lots to see with good optics and 6" of aperture.

on a decent night at a decent site you'd be able to see (or at least detect) all of the Messiers you look at.

if you are ever over my way (or fancy popping over for PSP - plenty of room in my tent if you are travelling light) then I'll show you a few. lots to see with good optics and 6" of aperture.

Still hoping to pop over to PSP for the saturday night so if i do i will bring the maksudob with me (mak on AZ4  :grin: ) but wont be staying all night, just had M31 in the little vixen from heavy light polluted skies and the open clusters in cassiopeia

Archived