Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

messier`s with a maksutov

nightfisher

TBH Jules I think its more a case of naming the more difficult ones, that are tough to see because of LP or their elevation from here in the UK. 

M101,M33 and M74 are tough because of their surface brightness and M83 (Good luck with that one) is surface brightness and attitude. M54, M55, M69, M70, M6, M7, & M62 need a good southern horizon to be seen easily.

Good hunting. :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a second hand Mak180 on the back of Dave Armeson waxing lyrical about one earlier in the year.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/216208-skywatcher-180-mak-or-celestron-c8-sct/?hl=%2Bmak+%2B180+%2Bvs+%2Bc8#entry2323270

Before, using small refractors, globular clusters were just tiny smudges which faded on magnification. Now hundreds of of stars are visible in in them at x193 magnification. This blows me away everytime I look at them now!

Had some fun with the Mak tonight, it really does work very well on the AZ4, super stable and very easy to point and move around, picked of the double double, M31, M45 (nice) Alcor/Mizar, just got a split on Polaris but the air was a bit damp so seeing not as stable as i would of liked but nice to get out and try a site darker than home

Can't figure why I didn't see this early, Jules :icon_scratch: My bad :rolleyes2: To make up for the delay, here are some gorgeous objects of nature which should be more than possible this month - weather permitting:

M 2                 M 32              M 77                  NGC 129              NGC 288                      NGC 663                  Gamma Andromedae                      

M 15               M 52              M 103                NGC 189              NGC 404                      NGC 1055                Gamma Arietis                    

M 30               M 56              M 110                NGC 225              NGC 436                      NGC 6934                Eta Cassiopeiae

M 31               M 72                                        NGC 253              NGC 654                      NGC 7789                Gamma Ceti

Location, location, location...

...you could see all of the Messier objects under a clear dark sky  :)

Globulars work well from light polluted locations.

Last Sunday was in Wales south of Bala on Bwlch Y Groes and observed about 40 Messiers and numerous clusters/nebulae using 15x50 Canon IS binoculars.

Light pollution sucks  :(

Good hunting :)

Paul

Archived