Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Grantham

Dinglem

Hi, I'm new to Astronomy and have messing around with an unsuitable pair of binoculars so I've been looking at SGL for a bit and after reading advice decided to take the plunge and bought myself a Skywatcher Explorer 200P with EQ5 from FLO (superb service). I managed to set up the scope quite easily but am struggling a bit with the controls. Like others been frustrated with cloudy nights but have managed some good sightings of Jupiter and it's moons. Look forward to your replies and any useful help and tips to get the most from my new toy.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings

Welcome to SGL by default you must suffer 4 weeks of cloud cover as a right of passage when buying a new scope or piece of equipment! I think it spreads the cloud cover for a 25 mile radius so thanks m8! lol

on a serious note a nice piece of kit you picked there and over time you will find it can pick out some astonishing objects, the learing curv can be steep but stick at it and the enjoyment will only get better.

Andy

Hi Dinglem and welcome to SGL :)

If you find yourself constantly turning the slo mo cables then this is easily solved with polar alignment. Doesn't have to be totally accurate for visual use but if you point the mount due north and set the altitude scale to your latitude on Earth then you will only have to track in right ascension (RA) with the odd tweak on declination (Dec).

Hope that helps but if the issue is more involved than that then a little more description of the exact problem will help us to solve it for you. :)

Hi and welcome to the lounge,

good choice of scope, and the EQ5 is a very sturdy mount, your

kit will serve you well for a very long time, do you have any star

maps, if not try,  http://freestarcharts.com/index.php/messier-catalogue

you can download a print them, I have laminated mine, that way they

don't get soggy from the dew, enjoy your new kit, and enjoy this great

hobby.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Hi welcome to SGL, I'm just up the road from you at Cranwell. There is a local group on line called East Midlands Stargazers of which I and some local's belong too.

We have a dark site meeting this coming Saturday at Badger Farm near Louth, check it out on the EMS forum. You are more than welcome to join us. :smiley:

Cheers

Ron

Archived