NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good Morning!

Little Tiny Kev

Good morning all! I have put a couple of posts around the forum in the few days I have been a member.

My name is Kev, I am a 'star gazer' from Co. Durham (England). The reason I say star gazer is because I have no real knowledge of what is where or how to recognise constellations and how to navigate the sky using them.

my fiance Tammy has recently rekindled my interest in the nights sky when I dug out an old Argos scope my dad bought me for Christmas about 15 years ago with the intention of putting it on eBay.

It was used maybe 3 times before I lost interest back when I was a young teenager, I had no mentor, no sky charts and no patience. I was pointing at dots in the sky with no clue what I was trying to see or what it would like like when in focus.

So I downloaded Google Sky Map so I knew where to roughly point the thing. I then figured out how to set up the view finder so I could ACTUALLY get things other than the moon in the scope. Managed to get Jupiter the first time I got it out and seen 4 moons!!

I'm loving it, in fact my fiance just wants to be told when there's something worth looking at in the eyepiece so she can come out from the warm and have a glance (she's obsessed with jupiter).

So we are going to be getting ourselves a scope worth looking through so we can get more detail and maybe see a few extra things. Probably a skywatcher explorer 130p.

Anyway, I'd like to say a great big thank you to the friendly members on here who have helped me to no end with my preliminary research and to help me with some tips to help get the most out of my star gazing!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi guys

Welcome to SGL, happy gazing and have fun

Jamie

Scopes:skywatcher 200p eq5 f/5 ,celestron 114 synscan goto mount

Eps: celestron x-cel-lx, skywatcher super, es 82 degree :

Camera: nikon d3100 with 2xbarlow adaptor

Finder: telrad

Hi, Kev, and a warm welcome to SGL! Apart from 'Sky Map' you might also be interested in the book 'Turn left at Orion' which is a very good introduction to 'star hopping' and will help you navigate to some of the better known objects in the night sky.

Hope that helps,

Martin.

Welcome. I, too, am a beginner and have tapped Into the wealth of knowledge and experience available on the site.

Invaluable because even going to a local astronomy club wouldn't give the depth of know-how that's here and handed out in a warm and friendly way. I see you have already heard from some of the 'heavyweight' gurus around and I'm sure you're as impressed and grateful as I am.

Enjoy.

Archived